• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hiding User Account

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CompuTamer

Member with Some Fancy Text Under His Name
Hi all.

So, my computer has a fingerprint reader, but i'd like to hide my user account so that no one can even see it, let alone try and guess the password, and i'd like to do this for a cleaner look on the log on screen instead of having "Other Credentials under the fingerprint logon box.

So, how do i hide my user account on my laptop? So that a fingerprint is the ONLY way to get onto the computer?

I'm not sure how this works on Win7 - but can you use the old-school login screen ala. Windows XP without the Welcome Screen?

If i can, i don't see how. I thought of that, and i'm sure it would work on XP, but i haven't seen the option to do that since Vista came out... if there is a way to do it, could someone point me to it?

Please post back in this thread if and whenever you find the answer to this question in the future.

*subscribed*

For XP... expand the following branch in the registry:

Code:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\SpecialAccounts\UserList

Right click in the RH pane, and select New--> DWORD. Give the new DWORD the same name as the username that you want to hide, and leave the Value data set to 0.

For Win7... you'll need to create two sub-keys (or only one if the Special Accounts key is already present) under the Winlogon key, then follow the same instructions as above for creating a new DWORD:

Attachments

• regpath_thumb.png
    regpath_thumb.png
    5.1 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
what are you so worried about hiding? lol really

This computer is the one i take to school, so i don't want people getting any ideas.
For XP... expand the following branch in the registry:

Code:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\SpecialAccounts\UserList

Right click in the RH pane, and select New--> DWORD. Give the new DWORD the same name as the username that you want to hide, and leave the Value data set to 0.

For Win7... you'll need to create two sub-keys (or only one if the Special Accounts key is already present) under the Winlogon key, then follow the same instructions as above for creating a new DWORD:

I'll try this when i get home later on today. Don't wanna go poking around in the registry and mess something up when i'm about to need my computer for a performance.

Back