• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS G53 - Running Hot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kenny782

I think this system is running too hot but I'd like to watch it over time.

First does anyone else have one of these? It's an G53JW-A1
How is your heat situation?

I know their are 50 million monitoring apps out there, and 10 million suggestions on the forum.
But it's just too much for me lol

I need something with good logging since the system has hard-offed a few times and I want to be able to go back and see the temp before it did.

Can anyone suggest a certain one that will be easy enough to interpret by a non OC master :)

Thanks guys, sorry to waste your time. My laptop isn't overclocked this just seemed like the best site to ask. Since that's your top issue of course, heat.

-Kenny

Get MSI Afterburner. You can overclock, monitor and even setup fan profiles. Use this program for your graphics card. For CPU get Core Temp, it's free and will show you min max and current temps. All of the hundreds of other programs will do pretty much the same thing. But those two are what I use.

I don't have that laptop but what I did to mine was elevate the bottom part by putting a piece of on the back part so it elevated it by 25-30 degrees. Doing this gets air to the bottom where the fan gets it's air, should help. And it helps you type better :)

I've got a G60-JX RBXXorwhatever05 hehe. It's the Core i5-430M dual core with HT with a GTS 360M.

It runs hot.

I monitor with MSI Afterburner and Real Temp, not Core Temp for that system as it's an Intel.

However. I run SMP folding on it 24/7. The temps are usually spot on at 70C on both cores.

The 360 will run around 57-61 at idle when folding (it does stay downclocked, when it upclocks it rises quickly). When I put a load on the GPU when folding, it'll pop up to 91 and stay there, as that's either where thermal throttling keeps it, or the fan speeds up enough to manage to keep it there. When I play games without folding it will get hot (EVE with full settings and 8x AA, WoW with the same) and sometimes it'll get hot enough to start thermally throttling up at 91, in my experience.

I've been in the back and there's one dual heatpipe copper guy running from the GPU to the CPU and heatsink/fan assembly, which would explain the problem ;) Trying to cool a fairly hot dual core and a GTX 9800 (basically) with one little 3x4x1" heatsink and a blower fan that runs slow most of the time...

I share your pain my friend. But in my experience it doesn't actually cause any problems in day to day or even heavy gaming use, and the chips are both managing to run pretty far under spec most of the time.

One more thought, I tried GPU folding but that in and of itself was MUCH more heat output than CPU folding, and no way would I subject the whole thing to the load of BOTH :p I decided running an i5 at 70 (a mobile one, nonetheless) for folding wasn't that bad.

You can always take it apart and redo the thermal grease, that should knock off 2-5c on both components.

Indeed, I plan on doing this next time I buy a tube. Might be MX-3. Might be Shin-Etsu X23 :) Donno yet. Also the ASUS G-series that I've seen all have quite tall feet and plastic standoffs on the bottom that keep it fairly elevated and keep the airflow to the ONE intake fairly plentiful.

Back