• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Crushed chipset

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dooms101

Well the MCP355 came in the mail today so I finally set my w/c loop back up and after a few hours of leak testing I went boot up... but nothing. Everything came on but no POST. I did all the troubleshooting as usual but nothing. I finally dismounted the water blocks and pulled the motherboard out. After looking all over for any signs of anything unusual... I saw that 2 of the corners on the 790FX nb were crushed. So motherboard is dead. I am thinking an ASUS M4A88TD-V Evo will be a good replacement. Obviously I must have unevenly mounted the NB block, I'll try not to next time I guess.

Just sharing my unfortunate experience. :rain:

I've always noted that the 7xx series northbridge chips were really small and looked like they'd be awfully easy to crunch with a mis-mounted heat sink. Sorry to hear about the incident - but it's an opportunity to try something different, if nothing else! Gotta look for the silver lining...

:(

Though I admit a certain curiosity as to why you would WC the chipsets on an AMD board? I admit, I've done a couple of minor modifications to the rear fan area to keep the MOSFETs a little cooler but I can't imagine going through the trouble to WC everything.

:(

Though I admit a certain curiosity as to why you would WC the chipsets on an AMD board? I admit, I've done a couple of minor modifications to the rear fan area to keep the MOSFETs a little cooler but I can't imagine going through the trouble to WC everything.

Well the NB kept getting really hot and dissipating heat to other components. I usually just stick a 40mm fan on there which works okay, but I happened to get a free chipset water block and figured why not. I am going to put it back on the next board, but I'll be making a foam shim since I didn't have one that fit last time.

Now that I am thinking of it, I am pretty sure its from the stock heatsink. When I was trying to push one of the push pins in, the heatsink rocked to the one side really hard a few times. The waterblock just has a spring and nut so it's really slow level pressure while mounting. Oh well, at least I got a new board?

Any opinions on the M4A88TD-E evo I just bought?

I know there were some voltage control problems when those boards first came out but I don't remember hearing about any issues with them recently so ASUS may have fixed the problem.

I know there were some voltage control problems when those boards first came out but I don't remember hearing about any issues with them recently so ASUS may have fixed the problem.

Yeah I am kind of concerned since a few reviews mention the mosfets burning up. Hopefully it'll handle a 1090T at 4Ghz+ under water. I plan on getting a Bulldozer AM3+ board soon after they come out, so this is just to hold me over for a few months.

Weird. IIRC, the SB750 is like a 12w TDP. I can't imagine a 700 series chipset being any more than 25w TDP. :shrug:

Either way, A-dub has a very solid Gigabyte for sale in the misc. section of the classies. I would suggest that board.

Back