Benching Profile Heatware Profile

Top-mounted vs. Bottom-mounted PSU's

What exactly are the pros and cons to top-mounting and bottom-mounting your PSU?

I've been seeing a lot of cases lately where PSUs are mounted at the bottom of the case, and been kind of wondering why one would want to do that.

Personally, I've always top-mounted mine because for one thing, it's what I'm used to doing. Growing up I never saw a case that didn't have a PSU that was mounted at the top, and to me it seems to make logical sense to mount it there since warm/hot air rises.
    \m/ OverClockers mATX L33T Club \m/
    Main Rig: Case: Cooler Master 690 II Advanced|Power Supply: Corsair HX750W|Cooling: Corsair H100i|Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-G33M-DS2R|CPU: Intel Q6600 SLACR @3.0GHz|RAM: 8GB G.Skill DDR2-1066@832.6MHz|Video: Evga GTX 660Ti|HDD: Western Digital 320GB Caviar Blue (OS)+500GB Caviar Black (Storage)|ODD: Lite-on DVDRW LH-20A1S|OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

Backup Rig: Case: Cooler Master HAF 922|Power Supply: Corsair HX520W|Motherboard: DFI UT LP nF4 SLI-DR Expert|CPU: (varies) A64 3200+ Venice, 3700+ San Diego, 3800+ Venice, 4000+ Clawhammer/San Diego (E4 & E6), A64 X2 4200+, A64 X2 4800+ |RAM: (varies) Corsair XL, XL Pro, OCZ PC4800 Elite Platinum Edition|Video Card: eVGA GTX260|HDD: Hitachi 80GB Sata II Drive|DVD: not sure|OS: Windows XP Home 32-bit/Pro 32-bit
    My Heat

Destroyer of Empires and User Accounts, El Huginator
    Premium Member #3
    First Responders
    Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile
    Looks, really. It may also work better with the design of the case. For example, if you have the power supply up top, you can't really put a lot of fans up there or fit a large radiator. Putting it on the bottom saves a bit of "wasted" space.

Heat wise, it won't really matter with only a few degrees difference in a well-ventilated case. Cable routing can be difficult with short cables when it is mounted on the bottom, namely the 4/8pin CPU ATX. Once nice positive that I noticed on my first bottom-mounted case is it wanted to keep standing up, rather than tipping over easily.

I wouldn't decide on a case purely by power supply location. There are a lot more important factors.
    Desktop: Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H | 3570k | 32 GB | GTX 770 Classified | 1 TB Samsung Evo & 2 TB HDD | Windows 3.1 | 4x 2560x1400 Monitors
    VM Server 1: Dell R710 | 2x L5630 | 96 GB RAM | 8x 300 GB Savvio | IBM M1015 | 34 TB Raw disk | XenServer
    VM Server 2: Dell R710 | 2x L5630 | 96 GB RAM |
    8x 300 GB Savvio | XenServer
    Router: Dell R410 | E5620 | 32 GB RAM | 3x 300 GB | pfsense
    "That's not overkill, or a lot. That's just thiderastic." -txus.palacios
    "Clouds are silent, cold, and wet. Servers are none of these things." -Bobnova

Current projects: Rackmount Overkill (New) | Little Overkill (New)
    Articles: Rack Mounting 101 | Dell Perc 5/i Throughput Benchmarks
    My Website

Want to talk directly to all the moderators at once? Call the Mod Hotline!

Destroyer of Spammers, Trolls and Cretins

Premium Member #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech Tweaker View Post
    What exactly are the pros and cons to top-mounting and bottom-mounting your PSU?

I've been seeing a lot of cases lately where PSUs are mounted at the bottom of the case, and been kind of wondering why one would want to do that.

Personally, I've always top-mounted mine because for one thing, it's what I'm used to doing. Growing up I never saw a case that didn't have a PSU that was mounted at the top, and to me it seems to make logical sense to mount it there since warm/hot air rises.
    Tech,

I also had my reservations on bottom mounted power supplies. Too much engineering and testing goes into cases, so with that in mind and the observations Thideras makes (lengths of the 4/8pin CPU ATX), this Coolermaster NV 690 case is bottom mounted. As long as you keep it elevated on a firm surface with the mounting feet that comes with them for air flow, you'll never look back.

My 8-pin CPU cable just made it but with short extensions available if you need one, it's not a problem. Most larger power supplies have longer cables than mine.
    Intel E8500 @ 3608 MHz...............Intel E7500 @ 3333 MHz Home Server
    DFI DK P45 T2RS Plus.................Same
    WD Velociraptor 150 & WD Raptor 74...Raptor 74 - Hitachi Deskstar 1TB
    ATI 5750.............................ATI 6200FX
    Dell Ultra Sharp U2413.............. Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WA
    2 x 2 GB GSkill PC8500 @ DDR2 960....2 x 1 GB GSkill PC8500
    Corsair HX520........................Corsair HX520
    Coolermaster NV 690..................Lian-Li PC-K7
    Vista 64.............................XP Pro
    Experience teaches only the teachable.

Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile
    You couldn't pay me to have a top mounted. Biggest reason is they are very heavy components and I don't want my center of gravity that high. Second, heat is usually exhausted near the top and I don't want my psu up top because then it's going to be hotter resulting in it being louder. Since most psu exhaust out the rear then they wont heat the system up.

It just seems logical to me.to have the heaviest components at the bottom.

Main Rig: 4770K | NH-D14 | Z87 Sabertooth | 32GB (4x8GB) Sniper 1833 | Powercolor 7950 | HIS 280x
    | Seasonic 860W Platinum
    Home Server: 4130T | NH-C12P | Z87-G55 | 8GB (2x4GB) Ares 2133 | Seasonic X650

Folding User Stats

I am 100% happy with my bottom mounted PSU. Not only does the PSU now get clean cooler air, pulling from the outside air instead of the warm in case air but it helps with my CPU air flow.

As you can see in the 2nd pic the air flow comes in , goes straight across the case and his the other fan without and restriction or PSU pulled any of the air in.

Its just my opinion but i prefer the bottom mounted PSU's now.

Windows 7 Pro x64
    Intel i7-930 4Ghz 1.23V / Corsair H-70 push/pull
    Gigabyte X58A-UD3R rev2.0
    OCZ Vertex 2 SSD 240GB
    Corsair XMS 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3-1600 7-8-7-20
    MSI GTX 580 Lighting 960/1920 @ 1.149v
    Corsair-750HX

Quote Originally Posted by thideras View Post
    Looks, really. It may also work better with the design of the case. For example, if you have the power supply up top, you can't really put a lot of fans up there or fit a large radiator. Putting it on the bottom saves a bit of "wasted" space.

Heat wise, it won't really matter with only a few degrees difference in a well-ventilated case. Cable routing can be difficult with short cables when it is mounted on the bottom, namely the 4/8pin CPU ATX. Once nice positive that I noticed on my first bottom-mounted case is it wanted to keep standing up, rather than tipping over easily.

I wouldn't decide on a case purely by power supply location. There are a lot more important factors.
    Hmm... Oddly, that's something I hadn't thought of. Putting it lower in the case, thereby lowering the case's center of gravity by making it less top-heavy and making it more stable in the process.

I figured it was just a personal preference kind of thing.
    Main Rig: Case: Cooler Master 690 II Advanced|Power Supply: Corsair HX750W|Cooling: Corsair H100i|Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-G33M-DS2R|CPU: Intel Q6600 SLACR @3.0GHz|RAM: 8GB G.Skill DDR2-1066@832.6MHz|Video: Evga GTX 660Ti|HDD: Western Digital 320GB Caviar Blue (OS)+500GB Caviar Black (Storage)|ODD: Lite-on DVDRW LH-20A1S|OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

Backup Rig: Case: Cooler Master HAF 922|Power Supply: Corsair HX520W|Motherboard: DFI UT LP nF4 SLI-DR Expert|CPU: (varies) A64 3200+ Venice, 3700+ San Diego, 3800+ Venice, 4000+ Clawhammer/San Diego (E4 & E6), A64 X2 4200+, A64 X2 4800+ |RAM: (varies) Corsair XL, XL Pro, OCZ PC4800 Elite Platinum Edition|Video Card: eVGA GTX260|HDD: Hitachi 80GB Sata II Drive|DVD: not sure|OS: Windows XP Home 32-bit/Pro 32-bit
    My Heat

Quote Originally Posted by Black C5 Z06 View Post
    You couldn't pay me to have a top mounted. Biggest reason is they are very heavy components and I don't want my center of gravity that high. Second, heat is usually exhausted near the top and I don't want my psu up top because then it's going to be hotter resulting in it being louder. Since most psu exhaust out the rear then they wont heat the system up.

It just seems logical to me to have the heaviest components at the bottom.
    Personally, I kind of like the idea of the PSU acting as a way to exhaust the heat within my case. If my PSU were mounted at the bottom, hot air would most likely collect at the top of my case, and with nothing to exhaust that air it would stay in the case longer, thus increasing the internal temp and possibly causing my components to run hotter.

I've had two top-mounted PSUs and I've never noticed either even get slightly warm to the touch, so I can't imagine that what warm air does go through them is enough to increase their temps by a noticeable amount.

I agree about putting the majority of the weight at the bottom of one's case being a good thing though.

My Heat

Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life View Post
    I am 100% happy with my bottom mounted PSU. Not only does the PSU now get clean cooler air, pulling from the outside air instead of the warm in case air but it helps with my CPU air flow.

As you can see in the 2nd pic the air flow comes in , goes straight across the case and his the other fan without and restriction or PSU pulled any of the air in.

Its just my opinion but i prefer the bottom mounted PSU's now.

There is a problem with those pictures though, the front intake is mounted at the top of the case, but in most cases it is normally at the bottom (in all of the cases I've seen anyway).

With that layout in mind in most bottom-mounted cases the air from the front fan slams into the front of the PSU (with some of it always being exhausted from the case before the rest goes around the PSU).

My Heat

The bottom psu mounting seems to be the new trend for case designers these days. I think top mounted is a design that older pcs used.
    :: Gaming Desktop ::
    CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1055T @ 3.9 Ghz 1.4v | MOBO: MSI 790FX-GD70 AM3
    GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 570 (732/1464/1900) | RAM: 4 GB G-Skill DDR3 1600
    SSD: OCZ Vertex 120 GB | HD1: WD Black 640 GB | HD2: WD Black 2 TB
    SC: Xfi Titanium Fatal1ty | PSU: Corsair HX 620 W
    KB: Saitek Eclipse | MOUSE: Logitech MX 518
    CASE: Antec 1200 | OS: Windows 7 x64
    :: Laptop ::
    MOD: Macbook Pro 13 2011 | CPU: Intel Core i5 @ 2.3 Ghz
    RAM: 4 GB DDR3 1333 | OS: OS X Lion 10.7.2

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Tweaker View Post
    There is a problem with those pictures though, the front intake is mounted at the top of the case, but in most cases it is normally at the bottom (in all of the cases I've seen anyway).

With that layout in mind in most bottom-mounted cases the air from the front fan slams into the front of the PSU (with some of it always being exhausted from the case before the rest goes around the PSU).
    I used that as a general example. I have a fan mounted at the top and bottom so my specific case is setup like this :

The air that hits the CPU is straight through no restrictions.
    The cool air coming in from the bottom isn't really hitting the PSU but its being sucked up by the heatksinks on the GPU (green) then exhausted. There is also another intake in the side housing to blow more cool air onto the video card.
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Intel i7-930 4Ghz 1.23V / Corsair H-70 push/pull
    Gigabyte X58A-UD3R rev2.0
    OCZ Vertex 2 SSD 240GB
    Corsair XMS 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3-1600 7-8-7-20
    MSI GTX 580 Lighting 960/1920 @ 1.149v
    Corsair-750HX

Premium Member #12
    Both methods work fine. Each case is different and your style of overclocks may require adjustments in fan positions or adding a few. Fortunately with my rigs, heat isn't a problem with my mild overclocks and moderate non-overclocked GPU.

The only thing I did with this case was position a fan on top of the DVD drive in the upper bay to blow a little air on the RAMs. It may help the CPU also, I don't know that. I don't even use the side panel or floor fans.

Bottom mount power supply pulls the air in and then out the back with none passed up onto your GPU and upper case. Top mounts usually pull some warm air into the power supply and then out the back. Thideras' explanation of having the weight bottom mounted is very accurate too, I'm liking it.

10 Year Badge
    Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile SETI Profile Heatware Profile Rosetta Profile
    Yeah, I am testing a case with a bottom mounted psu right now and it definitely lowers the CG of the case. But as far as ventilation is concerned, a case with proper ventilation designed into it doesn't really care if the psu is at the top or the bottom. And if the case has good ventilation, the part about hot air rising to the psu is a non-issue, as the air won't be hot enough around it to make much difference one way or another.

I'm not giving away what case I am reviewing (review coming shortly), but I actually saw a little over 1 C increase in cpu temps between it and the old, modded Antec 1040 clone I have been using for heatsink tests. That is with the same components and heatsink and the same heatsink mount as in the old case. I didn't disturb the mount on it when transferring everything into this new case. Does that mean this new case is a bad design? No, it's actually got decent ventilation and very nice features, but the old Antec case that I had modded with larger exhaust fans seems to get rid of hot air from the cpu area just a tad better than it.

I like my Antec 300 case. It has an exaust fan @ the top to compensate for bottom-mount PSU position. IT stays very cool.
    Only Rig:
    BIOSTAR A770 A2+
    AMD 5600+ Windsor @ 3.05 - Hammer Down!
    4 GB KINGSTON Hyper X PC2-6400
    WD Velociraptor 150, WD 640 BLK.
    SEASONIC SD12 Super Silent Series 850W
    ANTEC 300 Case
    BFG 9600GT OC 512
    At least I have a rig! :>)

Buried The Hatchet
    Lived to Tell the Tale
    Bottom mounting PSU has happened because a cooler PSU is a more efficient PSU. Not having warm air to suck in from your GPU/CPU etc helps increase efficiency slightly. Also the fan has to spin less to compensate for that 'second hand heat'.
    Look up to see the ridiculous stuff I say. Look down to see my PC's

500R*2600K@4.7*MaxiumusIVExtreme*Intel510 120GB*WDVelociraptor 150GB*8GB1600*GTX980*HX850*Win7-Gamer
    PS08*5150@stock*AM1B-ITX*Force LS 120GB*WD 250GB*4GB1600*TPLink Wifi PCIE*CX500*Win8.1-Mom's PC
    P100*G3258@4.4*Z97 Anniversary*WD Blue 1TB*TPLink Wifi PCIE*4GB1600*500B*Win8.1-HTPC
    HP A4-5000 based touchscreen 15.6" notebook-Travel PC
    iPad 2- Mom's tablet
    ASUS netbook - worthless paperweight

Forums Super Moderator
    Overclockers.com Lead Editor

10 Year Badge
    Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile
    I find a bottom-mounted PSU far easier to deal with, to be honest. It makes cable management easier. That is, unless someone (cough Asus cough) decides to put the ATX power connector exactly halfway up the board, near the back of the case.
    David J. Nelson MChem(Edin) PhD(Strath) MRSC [ResearcherID: D-3927-2011] [Google Scholar]
    OC Forums Super Moderator // Overclockers.com Editor

The Workhorse: [Lenovo W510] Intel Core i7-720QM / 8 GB DDR3 / nVidia Quadro FX880M / Crucial M4 256 GB SSD / Windows 7
    The Home Machine: AMD Llano A6-3650 APU / 8 GB DDR3 / Lots of HDDs / Antec Dark Fleet DF-85 Case / Windows 7
    The Benchmarking Setup: Various LGA775 chips / Asus Rampage Formula / 2 GB OCZ 1066 MHz DDR2 / nVidia Quadro NVS 285 / 320 GB HDD / Windows 7 [ Untouched for well over a year ]

My research fellowship is eating all my time, so I may be slow to reply to emails and private messages.

Quote Originally Posted by Theocnoob View Post
    Bottom mounting PSU has happened because a cooler PSU is a more efficient PSU.
    Do you think their would be a measurable difference in PSU efficiency with the mounting positions in the same case with all the same hardware. It sounds logical to me, but it just seams so small a temperature difference, as to effect efficiency in a properly vented cases, like I bet most of us here have
    E6600 @2.99GHz - DFI Infinity P965 Dark - 4GB PC6400 - WD 300GB Raptor - WD 74GB Raptor - Radeon HD 3850 256MB - Vista Business
    E6420 @2.13GHz - Asrock 4Core DualVSTA - 4GB PC 6400 - WD 120GB IDE - Sapphire HD 3850 512MB - XP Home

Premium Member #12
    Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    I find a bottom-mounted PSU far easier to deal with, to be honest. It makes cable management easier. That is, unless someone (cough Asus cough) decides to put the ATX power connector exactly halfway up the board, near the back of the case.
    David,

The Cable Management threads and photos here are excellent and they are what influenced me with a bottom-mount case after I saw what could be done with them, and those Asus boards stuck out like a sore thumb.........

Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile Rosetta Profile
    Everywhere? Seriously, there are a ton of them.

Start here: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/s...ble+management
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." -- Einstein (maybe)

Thinking about an Asus motherboard? Think again.

How to check your PSU with a multimeter.

17bXw5t51rEBXGavJFMJsC8g7HQgThUGc7