• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which OS to go with?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tWiSt3D

I need help deciding what OS to go with.My daughters PC has vista I dont care for it at all.I have run windows 7 before but not enough to know anything about it other than its an OS that wasnt difficult to use.Im building my first AMD pc and need help what to use.The PC will be used for gaming and video encoding.Ive been using XP forever.

Also whats the difference in 32 bit and 64 bit for gaming?If it was you what would you get?

Thanks

Win 7 will run all apps 32 or 64 bit if you chose the 64 bit, which i suggest because it will allow you to run all the memory you want

Another vote here for Win7 64 bit. It's easily surpassed XP as my favourite MS OS.

My wife's laptop use to have 7 32bit. Already bumping it to 6GB and 64bit I feel a difference. I swear 64bit vs 32bit is like XP Pro vs Home editions.

After what I went thru, I would vote against Winblows, but if it's for your daughter's PC go win7 x64. Just be sure NOT to update to SP1.

Go straight to Windows 7/64 bit, and don't look back. It is faster, more reliable, more connected and versatile, way cooler and without any practical limits. To me, as a long time programmer and software developer, Win7 represents an enormous leap over all previous versions of Windows. It should be installed on any machine that can support it.

As for avoiding SP1... Make sure that you find others saying the same thing, before taking it too seriously.

Win7 64 is likely what you'll want. If you were to go with XP now you could end up in a painfull sitation in a year or two where it would no longer be supported by new applications and hardware. Already there are some newer sound cards that don't support it.

Win7 32bit would also be an OK choice if you never plan on using more than 3-3.5GB of RAM in the computer, but these days there are very few reasons not to get x64. The only real difference for the average home user is how much RAM it can use.

After what I went thru, I would vote against Winblows, but if it's for your daughter's PC go win7 x64. Just be sure NOT to update to SP1.

He has no issues with win 7 ,, just fingers which are to big for his key board ,,,,, :rofl:

In my experience Win 7 is the most complete OS Microsoft has ever made and it runs smoothly with out a hitch from day 1 on my recent build

I went with Windows 7 64. I was trying to install my xp on this budget build I was putting together.
My first AMD so I went budget for sure on other parts motherboard ram and a cheap case.The way gas prices are up now thought Id better not spend to much LOL LOL

AMD Phenom ll x2 1100T

4 gig ram all in one stick.

Well the xp wouldnt install being only sp1 version of OS.So I went and grabbed 7 and all good now.

Back