• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus P6X58D-E / noctua problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mattuvu

hi guys,
i just built a new machine with this motherboard P6X58D-E and a Noctua NH-UP12 SE2 for the cpu cooling, the fans are running full speed all the time.
The noctua is connected to 4-pin CPU_Fan connector of the motherboard via a Y cable (3-pin connector like all Noctua). I know the 4th pin of the cpu fan PWN is not used, but the speed would just have to be regulated according the temperature of the CPU.
Ofcourse this problem occurs all the time, Qfan control enabled or not via the bios, Asus fan xpert cant help...
any idea why the CPU connector on the Asus MB doesn't allow fan speed adjustment? the CHA_Fan 1 is a 4-pin connection and works with a 3-pin fan speed regulated..

not sure if i post it in the right section of the forum, but i hope someone can help me to fix it...

anybody with a P6X58D-E got a 3-pin fan working fine at various speeds ???

bios is 3030, updating the bios could solve it ?

Last edited:
i have the premium version of that board which is more or less the same and i just dont use the MOBO fan pins i got a fan controller and plugged all my fans in with that, saves you all the hassle

I believe most MoBo's with 4-pin PWM fan headers will NOT control the speed of a 3-pin fan. PWM is used to regulate the speed on these 4-pin headers (they don't use variable voltage to the fan like a 3-pin header would).

You'll likely need to use a true 4-pin PWM fan, or use one of the 3-pin headers (but then you'll get the "NO CPU FAN" warning on POST - which is ignorable by setting "Ignore all errors" or whatever in the BIOS).

I was big on Fan Controllers and switches covering the front of my PC's when I first started building PC's, but now the onboard fan speed controls are plenty useable for me, and allow me to retain a sleek clean front panel...

PS - Speedfan seems to work well on most newer ASUS boards - I run it on my main desktop and my HTPC - I let the BIOS handle the 4-pin CPU fan, and Speed Fan basically handles the rest...

:cool:

theres is 3 CHA_FAN connectors on that motherboard, one is 4-pin connector, the 3-pin fan connected on it is regulated via chassis QFAN controle option in bios just as the other fan connected to 3-pin CHA_FAN connectors...

and most of the mobos looks to be able to regulate 3-pin fan via 4-pin PWN connectors, at least peoples with other asus mobos seems to get it working after reading some other forums...

From Noctua FAQ :

""Can I run Noctua fans on 4-pin PWM connectors and use my mainboard’s automatic fan controller?
You can simply connect our fan's 3-pin connector to the 4-pin PWM sockets of today's mainboards so that the fourth pin that transmits the PWM signal is left blank (due to the shape of the connector, there's no danger of reversing polarity). Some mainboards (e.g. current Gigabyte models) are capable of controlling fans not only via PWM, but also by adjusting the supplied voltage. In some cases, this may require you to change BIOS options like "Fan Control Mode" from "PWM" to "Voltage" or "Analog". Please consult your mainboard's manual in this regard. However, some mainboards use an "auto" setting by default that automatically chooses PWM or voltage based regulation according to the connected fan. Automatically controlling the fan speed may not possible on mainboards that pulse the power rather than lowering the fan voltage. ""

i would just want to have some feedback from peoples that have exactly the p6x58d-e and can confirm it's not working for them, or on the other side that it works and that i may have a problem like few other peoples with that retail (i found other threads with the same problem, but without solution).

and ofcourse i would prefer to dont have to use a fan control, but just the bios/software features that would have to work just fine.

Some mainboards (e.g. current Gigabyte models) are capable of controlling fans not only via PWM, but also by adjusting the supplied voltage. In some cases, this may require you to change BIOS options like "Fan Control Mode" from "PWM" to "Voltage" or "Analog". Please consult your mainboard's manual in this regard. However, some mainboards use an "auto" setting by default that automatically chooses PWM or voltage based regulation according to the connected fan. Automatically controlling the fan speed may not possible on mainboards that pulse the power rather than lowering the fan voltage. ""

I'm pretty sure the P6X58D-E doesn't do this (the OP's board). I specifically used a lower speed (but high-pressure) 3-pin fan on my P6X58D-E because the higher speed 3-pin fan I had would always run at full tilt, and I didn't see any PWM/Voltage settings in my BIOS. There are a few descent 4-pin 120mm fans out there - but none that are "fantastic" IMO.

:cool:

I have the prem. version of that motherboard as well, but leave my fans running at full speed all the time. I haven't checked it on that board but on other boards I have owned in the bios you could tell it if the cpu fan was a pwm fan or a 3 pin fan and this would let you control the cpu fan if you used a 3 pin fan. Have you looked in the bios to see if that is an option?

Back