• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WinRAR speed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

g0dM@n

Inactive Moderator
Is there any way to get WinRAR to extract faster? My CPU and RAM usage are extremely low. Is it solely the hard drive that holds it up, or is there any way to enable multi-core extraction... anything to speed it up?

I even tried on an SSD and it still isn't fast enough for me. I'm working with large files, typically 8-12gb.

Thanks.

Have you tried 7-zip ? It can extract rar files as well and supports multicores rig.

The only thing I could say is to use less compression. I use freearc & it has a 'hdd-speed' compression level just below the fast setting and above the no compression level.

I was gonna say get a better pc but you did that already:)

Have you tried 7-zip ? It can extract rar files as well and supports multicores rig.

qft... 7 zip is so much superior to winrar its not even funny... no bloat ware, no asking do you want to buy... just plain and simple quick file extractor / compressor.

Just downloaded 7zip!

It only says I can use 1 or 2 out of my available 8 cores..Doesn't it support more than that? I don't see it in the options either.

If the compression format is .7z the max is 2 I think but if .zip is the compression format then I think it will use all cores. For extraction I don't see an option.

I'm trying to extract multiple rars, not a single rar. I don't think 7z can do that the last time I tried.

I'm trying to extract multiple rars, not a single rar. I don't think 7z can do that the last time I tried.

sure it can... higlight all the rar's at once, right click on one of em and go 7z > extract to "*\"

this will extract each individual rar to its own respective folder.... if you have a multi part rar... aka a single file or directory or group of files that has been split up into part rar's just right click on the first part and extract.

sure it can... higlight all the rar's at once, right click on one of em and go 7z > extract to "*\"

this will extract each individual rar to its own respective folder.... if you have a multi part rar... aka a single file or directory or group of files that has been split up into part rar's just right click on the first part and extract.

multi part... ok i will try. thanks!!

G, you sound so nineties :D, should re-format the drive and re-download all those new apps..... j/k :D

Another vote for 7zip.

On multipart rars, I typically select the first rar in the series by right click, then select extract here... It recognizes it is a multipart rar.

Typically, if the series has one file with an extension of .rar that is the one you want to right click and extract from. If they are all numbered, such as .r01, extract from the lowest numbered rar.

Just depends how the archive was created, but as long as you extract from the first one in the series 7zip will handle it without issue.

It also has a benchmark feature if you go to tools in the menubar... If you are trying to improve your extraction speeds, tweak whatever settings you can tweak, then run the benchmark and that will give you a quick indication if you are doing better or worse. :thup:

Also, give up on real life and come back to moderating Garo. The kids miss you (other greens). The dog misses you (splat). I almost miss you. :)

IMOG,
Thanks for the tips.

I've tried to come back little by little, but then I'll be MIA for a full week... my availability has become intermittent. What is REALLY tough right now is my old clients are calling me for assistance and I can't answer my phone while @ work... it's stressing me out like crazy.

And... this past weekend I had a 3-day weekend. I spent 2 of the days doing more work for my old business (still in tact, but I'm wondering if I should tank it and just do freelance for it)....

:)

Back