• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Battlefield 3: Official Thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
In general I like sp in FPS games. If it is a full blown sp with say 10 -15 hours of play then I could get behind it and it would be a plus to the game. But most people want BF3 for the mp, I just don't see why they are pushing the sp so far.

I would prefer if instead of SP there was target practice/driving practice/gaaming mechanics practice mode.

Ya thats what i was thinking but more like, keep the same BF MP that we all know and love, but instead of a SP put in a second MP mode.

Where its different in that as you progress in ranks (guns, equip, etc.) You also progress in the areas you fight in. So what im saying is you'd move up to tougher combat zones.

Kinda like you start out as a regular soldier, then moving up to a ranger.

So if you want to be a Jet pilot you could move up in those ranks, or a helicopter pilot etc.

Sort of RPG like, but online MP. Its tough to describe haha.

No, 360 is DX9 based. Mostly why you see a lot of games which only support DX9 or are later patched to higher versions
Crysis2

Funnily enough the first footage of crysis 2 was console.
So much for making the pc version special......
But enough of that console rippoff.
Its all about battlefield 3 :D

Funnily enough the first footage of crysis 2 was console.
So much for making the pc version special......
But enough of that console rippoff.
Its all about battlefield 3 :D

Hey man give consoles some credit, BFBC2 sold alot of copies on console, giving BF3 the resources it needs!

Hey man give consoles some credit, BFBC2 sold alot of copies on console, giving BF3 the resources it needs!
Yeah but on the other hand, consoles are stopping games from reaching their true potential on the PC.
"Cough crysis 2 "cough"

But yeah, theres more money in the consoles. If I was a games developer I would develop games for consoles, heck all I would have to do is to rename MW2 to MW3 and all console owners would rush out to buy the latest game.

But lets not dwell on this here, BF3 looks like a PC game.

Developers are well aware of the stigma surrounding console > PC ports. They could very well be saying anything to keep the community happy...even if it isn't 100% true. Something for to think about.

I wouldn't get extremely excited about that until you've actually played it first.

I hope that BF3 won't let us down..

I may be setting myself up for dissapointment but I have a feeling that it will deliver on all my expectations. Mostly due to the fact that I felt that BC2 was pretty damn close to a worthy bf2 sequel, so they can only go up from here right?!?

I may be setting myself up for dissapointment but I have a feeling that it will deliver on all my expectations. Mostly due to the fact that I felt that BC2 was pretty damn close to a worthy bf2 sequel, so they can only go up from here right?!?

Definitely, I always thought BC series was the sequel to BF2, but learning now that they have been working on BF3 for over 3 years? (Correct me if I'm wrong)

This game will deliver, and a lot of people are saying they are spending to much time on SP, when really they develop SP to give a representation of the work they are doing. Especially considering how much detail they have put in the SP already. No doubt in my mind the MP will be just as good as the SP and blow BF2's multiplayer into the 1990s haha.

Definitely, I always thought BC series was the sequel to BF2, but learning now that they have been working on BF3 for over 3 years? (Correct me if I'm wrong)

This game will deliver, and a lot of people are saying they are spending to much time on SP, when really they develop SP to give a representation of the work they are doing. Especially considering how much detail they have put in the SP already. No doubt in my mind the MP will be just as good as the SP and blow BF2's multiplayer into the 1990s haha.

Really?...how so? BF line ended with BF2 for me.

I own BF1942, BFVietnam(waste of money) and BF2. Played a ton of Desert Combat before bf2 showed up.

Once I heard about what BFBC was about..I was like..uh NOT.

So BF3 better rock and better be a PC GAME that destroys lesser computers.

Once I heard about what BFBC was about..I was like..uh NOT.

So BF3 better rock and better be a PC GAME that destroys lesser computers.
BFBC is FUN. that is, i have a lot of FUN playing it. i'm happy there are no jets and no prone. i'm happy it is NOT BF or BF2. i hated both of those games and i felt like a sucker paying money for them. i don't know what it is about BF games, after every single one (1942, vietnam, BF2) i swear NEVER again...and i mean it. but then a friend starts playing it and claims it to be the greatest game ever. BC2 is the only one to have ever delivered.

also, i could care less for the PC vs console thingy. to me it just shows most PC gamers to be insecure. BC2 looks better than any other MP game i've played (or any other MP game worth playing) and runs real sweet on my 970+560. if i can have the same performance on BF3 i'm happy. and i hope the friends i play BC2 with can still enjoy BF3, even though they run dual cores and 260's. i'm no elitist. ;)

Too right, in this day and age FPS are all about the multi. If I want to play SP I play an RPG, not a fps with half assed sp .
I wouldnt even care if there was no single player.
I mean come on, whoever plays a BF game for the SP completely missed the point.

I have always loved SP FPS and probably always will. I've only really gotten into a few MP games. As much fun as multi can be I find sometimes it's to repetitive (I see it that way, most don't but really you do the same thing over and over just since it's not pre programed AI the way it plays out differs) and sometimes it's nice not to have to deal with the idiots who play online.

The bold part is the problem, developers just put a SP player mode in to make it seem like they are giving you more but it's maybe a few hours of crappy play. I miss they days when I might actually get tired of playing a SP game before I make it all the way to the end and have to take some time off and go back later, now all it takes is a couple weekend nights and your done.

Developers are well aware of the stigma surrounding console > PC ports. They could very well be saying anything to keep the community happy...even if it isn't 100% true. Something for to think about.

I wouldn't get extremely excited about that until you've actually played it first.
They sure are aware of it. We really tore into them during the BC2 beta. I think DICE considers making a PC maximized version a matter of pride this time. BC2 was a compromise to make EA money. EA is all about profit not quality anymore. It's quite sad. It's why I haven't bought any of it's new "once a year installment" series games. MOH & COD all used to be good PC games but now they are mediocre console ports.:shrug:

I will definitely support BF3 if it truely is PC first! :thup: If only to send EA a message.

One thing about BF2. It wasn't the best eye candy sure but it had some great open maps, depth with vehicles and a variety of play that I haven't seen since.

One thing about BF2. It wasn't the best eye candy sure but it had some great open maps, depth with vehicles and a variety of play that I haven't seen since.

They're all like that. It's surprising nobody else can make a game that implements vehicles in a simple manner and make it fun. BF2 also had a stat system that is in a different league beyond the "make lvl 50 in one week" crowd of games.

I find the ranking system in BC2 to be a little to hard lol, i have had the game for more than 6 now playing every few days, but i mean im only rank 27 ! how to people make it to rank 50 ?!

but its a good thing, i hate Black Ops where you hit rank 50 prestige 10 in a matter of weeks.

They're all like that. It's surprising nobody else can make a game that implements vehicles in a simple manner and make it fun. BF2 also had a stat system that is in a different league beyond the "make lvl 50 in one week" crowd of games.
So true.

I find the ranking system in BC2 to be a little to hard lol, i have had the game for more than 6 now playing every few days, but i mean im only rank 27 ! how to people make it to rank 50 ?!

but its a good thing, i hate Black Ops where you hit rank 50 prestige 10 in a matter of weeks.
Well, I've played BF2 for hundreds of hours over several years and I'm still only a Staff Sargeant. I had a fair amount of weapon unlocks because I bought Special Forces which gave you double. But I still have some to unlock.

BF2 rank meant a heck of a lot more than it does today. I'd love to see that in BF3. Keeps you playing longer. But maybe I have more patience/staying power than the current crowd of gamers.

BF2142 was a good blend of ranking up and taking time. Maybe something more like that in BF3 is in order? IMHO in BC2 you rank up way too fast.

Back