• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Battlefield 3: Official Thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I was going to post something along those lines last night and forgot... Not sure how many people that play BF3 have ever seen what a .762x51 NATO (most sniper rifles on BF3 run this... the M98B runs .308 Lapua, but that's the same caliber round with more powder behind it) round does to a person (I have)... Even "limb" shots will be deadly, and anything "center-mass" is a kill for sure... The entry may be nice and tidy, but the exit would will be the size of a small dinner plate and most your vital organs will have gone out through it.

7.62x51 NATO=.308

M98B= .338 LM, a bit more hi-powered than a standard .308 ;)

in my exp HC is populated by recon who know they can get insta kills even when they are a **** shot.

Being on both sides of the fence, I can see why you feel this way because it is quite obnoxious getting OHKed. I will say one thing though. Go play recon in normal mode with a bolt action rifle for a while and let me know how that goes for you lol. Unless you are some kind of headshot machine, you are not going to get two shots off against someone unless they are terrible or their back is turned to you. And if you are safe and far away, and other players are smart and don't just run aimlessly in an open field, once they sustain one hit they can duck for cover and let their health regenerate. Maybe one of those semi-auto sniper rifles is the solution, but the last time I tried one in normal, they took too many shots to kill from a distance, so I preferred the more damaging bolt action ones.

Being on both sides of the fence, I can see why you feel this way because it is quite obnoxious getting OHKed. I will say one thing though. Go play recon in normal mode with a bolt action rifle for a while and let me know how that goes for you lol. Unless you are some kind of headshot machine, you are not going to get two shots off against someone unless they are terrible or their back is turned to you. And if you are safe and far away, and other players are smart and don't just run aimlessly in an open field, once they sustain one hit they can duck for cover and let their health regenerate. Maybe one of those semi-auto sniper rifles is the solution, but the last time I tried one in normal, they took too many shots to kill from a distance, so I preferred the more damaging bolt action ones.

I find the snipers fairly easy to aim. In the last few games of rush on Sharqi I have managed to headshot the pilot of the moving AH-6J at a couple hundred metres out.

I also prefer the bolt action ones, I actually try to be more accurate then spraying with the sniper :p

I find a lot of people running out in the open in rush game modes easy to pick off, not so much in conquest.

the 338 is a quite a bit larger and its the lapua magnum rounds which btw kick like hell without a really good break.

I've hand loaded these and they are much larger than a 308 buy a good margin and require a ton more powder.

the 338 does basically everything better over the 308 except it kicks like a horse

well yeah... I goofed on original post a bit and compared the 7.62x51 NATO to the .308 which are basically the same round.

The .338 LM is a 8.58 round and we all know that Magnum just means more powder in the cartridge... ;D

More powder in the cartridge means a higher muzzle velocity which generally means a greater effective range.

I use the SV98 with a bipod so i cant even use the straight pull, ie i have to zoom out to reload. Thats my point, unless im a sniper, if i dont get a HS i dont expect to kill anyone. The point of being a recon is you stay out of the line of fire= less chance to get killed, but also harder to kill someone else. thats my feeling anyways.

That makes sense. Unfortunately, you aren't going to be getting too many points. You'll be able to help your team with spotting, but that's about it. I'm done with recon for a while.

Recon is handy for it's spawn beacon. Throw on the ump 45 or another PDW and run and gun. That is also a handy way to level recon up to unlock better sniper rifles.

Recon is handy for it's spawn beacon. Throw on the ump 45 or another PDW and run and gun. That is also a handy way to level recon up to unlock better sniper rifles.

That's a pretty good idea. Plus that motion detector is definitely a huge perk as well.

That makes sense. Unfortunately, you aren't going to be getting too many points. You'll be able to help your team with spotting, but that's about it. I'm done with recon for a while.

Meh it varies. I doubt I'll be as many points as assault cos I can't just throw down a med pack and rack up the points. But more often than not if I find a good spot I can pop off at least 3-5 headshots before I'm seen. + marksmen bonus on all of them your looking at 800+ for a decent life. It isn't hard to rack up a lot of points provided you are a decent shot. That's what recon should be about getting headshots from silly distances and reaping the benefits.

New guns so far from the new trailer, some of them will either be engineer or assault, not sure yet:

Spas 12 (shotgun)
ACR (assault rifle)
MP5K (submachine gun)
JNG-90 (Sniper Rifle)
MTAR (carbine/AR)
AUG (carbine/AR)

There's supposedly another new LMG and supposedly a SCAR for the Assault class.

Probably a few more guns not shown yet, too.

Here is a list of the weapons in the trailer, there are 3 more to be announced.

SPAS-12
ACW-R
L86
MTAR-21
AUG
SCAR-Light

Back