• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 7 freezes when unzipping files

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

clem84

New computer here. Fresh Windows 7 install. Everything works fine so far except unzipping files. Whenever I’m unzipping large files the unzipping program freezes (just the application, everything else works fine). The progress meter stays stuck at the same number for minutes sometimes and then finally it gets going again, only to freeze again 30 seconds later. It makes unzipping files incredibly long. Something that would take 30 seconds can take as long as 5 minutes.

I know that it is not a specific application because I had the same problem with two different applications. The problem first appeared when I was using Winrar, the 32-bit version. I thought since I’m using Win7 64-bit might as well upgrade my Winrar to 64-bit as well. It didn’t help, same problem. I then used 7zip because it also supports RAR files. Same exact problem. It freezes for minutes and then it gets going again. And it’s not the file itself because the same thing happened on many different zip or rar files. I googled for this problem but didn’t find any answers.
My system:
- i7 2600
- P8P67 board
- Corsair vengeance 2X4GB RAM 1600mhz
- Corsair SSD force series 60GB
- WD 640GB
- ASUS Engt240 1GB

Anyone know what the problem might be? If not, any suggestions for other programs to try? What are you using tu decompress zip and rar files in Windows 7?

I thought I read here somewhere that ssd's are so fast that they can cause hiccups with certain aps. I have neither an ssd nor have I used winrar in ages. I use freearc 0.67 alpha with rar, zip, and 7zip support.

Looks like SATA communication failure. There's reportedly a recall for the SATA on the Sandy Bridge platform.
You can expect I/O errors with Sandy Bridge until you replace the motherboard. Sorry.

Back