• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help...for the 2nd time

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

compooter

Registered
complete restart , fresh install, nuke what ever you want to call it, how can i do this, please dont tell me get "this" or "that" program or do this from "here", beacuase i cant get "there", the farthest i can get is f2 settings during boot after that blank screen, even on safe mode..blank screen, yes! i do have the drivers and utilities disk, but what the f do i with it, ive looked every where and have not been able to find info on what to do, or nobody knows, or hasnt told me so help please, yes! i am ignorant when it comes to computers, every body starts somewhere..:fight:

Last edited:
What version of windows do you have on that machine, and what kinda machine you running? And you are right, I'm sure everyone here at one point knew nothing about these things people call computers and this funny stuff called the interwebz. haha :beer:

:welcome: to the Ocforums Overclockers.com/forums

If you have a windows disk, put it in the CD drive.

You then need to tell the computer to boot from the CD drive. You can do that by watching the screen as the computer turns on, and it often tells you to press a certain key to enter setup or for the boot menu. If you go into setup/BIOS, you can alter boot order there.

Every BIOS is different, but usually if you just look through the menus you will find one that lists boot order. Be sure the boot order is set to look at the CD drive before the HDD.

Once you do that, boot from the windows disk and just follow the menus.

If you have a Dell recovery disk, you can put that in the disk and see if it gives you any options to reinstall from that. Depends on what sort of disks you have available - if you can specify that may help us give you better instructions.

Welcome to the site. :)

2006 dell optiplex 320(i know its ridiculous, but its my first attempt screwing with computers), windows xp, i have a windows 2k disk... but no xp, i popped drivers and utilities disk in but nothing happened,, also the metal block that sits on the cpu( well in my case) i just have that sitting ontop with a little heat goo nothing really pressing down but i have the fan, in the same place as it was in the case just not on little rubber..things.. rivets maybe? cd-rom is last on the list, i havent figured out how to change that yet

edit: forgot to mention...everything must be done with keyboard for somereason my ge mouse doesnt want to work with dell..

Last edited:
Hmm, you mean the clips holding the aluminum heatsink are not really pressing it on snug?

if you got somthing like this with a broken tab it will overheat before it boots.

MBAC01478.jpg

EDIT:
I guess the Dell's didn't use heatsinks like that but you will want to make sure that puppy is on there good.

If you don't have a recovery disk check to see if there is an option to recover at the post screen, usually like f10 or somthing.

Last edited:
no the aluminum box (ill take pics in a sec..) is just sitting there..no bracket, the bracket that came with it only used 2 screws and was junk(i broke a clip trying to get it out)

AND~ i now have the cd-rom first on boot sequence! now what..

If the cdrom is first on the boot sequence, just install the operating system disk and watch the prompts as it boots - follow any instructions and it should load the CD and begin the install process. Confirm any prompts until installation is finished.

no the aluminum box (ill take pics in a sec..) is just sitting there..no bracket, the bracket that came with it only used 2 screws and was junk(i broke a clip trying to get it out)

AND~ i now have the cd-rom first on boot sequence! now what..

that should be fine if it is just a shroud over the heatsink thats loose, just as long as something is holding the aluminum to the Cpu.

nothing happens when i eneter the drivers disk or did you mean the windows 2k disk?, but just found out that i can get to safe mode.. just nothing works not even my keyboard at this point..ugh

heres those pics

ehirg1.jpg
2uihqbp.jpg
2zqzzpc.jpg

The operating system disk I suggested would be the windows 2k disk. Drivers aren't required until after the operating system is installed. :thup:

lol im learning :p

edit: oh my its working, should i delete existing partitions?

Last edited:
Ahh, That usb header sitting on top of that metal might be why the keyboard is not working. try plugging that into a port right on the motherboard. you will want to set at least a piece of cardboard under anything like that to make sure you are not shorting it out.

it was just during safe mode that it was not working, the metal bracket only touches silicon on the chip though, i think its ok..i hope its ok, lol i superglued it (dumb)

Last edited:
if it is just flat on the back and there are no soldered wires sticking out you are fine.

EDIT: probobly just safemode not loading the usb driver. that is a fairly new computer and should have came preloaded with XP and a recovery partition to reinstall from. If you can get it to boot into safemode but not normal I'm thinking you may have something messed up with the graphics driver for that card i see there. is there a VGA port on the motherboard you can try?

2ndEDIT: and if there is a VGA port on the motherboard try that but don't be scared if don't see the post screen and see if it will boot normal.

Last edited:
Yes, delete existing partitions.

I am not sure what you mean that you superglued... I'm going to pretend I didn't read that. :)

superglued the bracket for the usb and pwer buttn, not the heatsink lol, or am i not supose to use superglue anywhere..strong stuff though

superglued the bracket for the usb and pwer buttn, not the heatsink lol, or am i not supose to use superglue anywhere..strong stuff though

LOL I prefer duct-tape. JK

Those heatsinks are madd heavy though, you might want to maybe zip tie that later but it should get you booted up like that. ;)

yea, i drilled those 4 holes in that board for that but, i didnt know how to go about sturdy-ing it though

Whoh, careful doing that! I see in the pic's what you mean, you just need 1/8th zipties to go through the normal holes, just put a couple together if you can't find them long enough.

Then do a loop for each side and just have them go around them things that stick up and out the sides there. ;)

Tighten them down equal and kinda snug and you will be good as new. ;)

yay, it works mouse and all, i dont remeber windows 2k looking so ancient.. so after windows is finished then pop the driviers and utilities disk in im guessing?

Back