• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Skeetorius build and first questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

skeetorius

Okay....lets get the important stuff out of the way. I'm not completely ignorant to computers or building them. I have built several over the years, but nothing like the rig I just put together.

I will definitely admit.....im ignorant to overclocking.........and this means overclocking of ANYTHING. But....after some reading for a couple of weeks...and posting for suggestions from the brains on here..............this is what I have built.......

Everything is running off the SATA 6 until the new fixes for the motherboards are released (I many not ever change becauase ill never use the SATA 3's except for my Blu-Ray burner.)

HERE IS THE SYSTEM I JUST BUILT

Windows 7 Home Premium

Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I72600K

CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1866C9

EVGA SuperClocked 015-P3-1582-AR GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) 1536MB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support ..

GigaByte P67A UD7 Motherboard

COOLER MASTER Silent Pro RSA00-AMBAJ3-US 1000W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V v2.92 SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active ..

Cooler Master Haf X tower (6 total fans 7 if you count the videocard all pointed and blowing in appropriate directions)

Prolimatech Megahalems Rev.B CPU Cooler (Heat Sink...dual fans blowing E to W across the sink to the fan out the back....a N/S configuration was not possible given the size of my ram.....although I really don't think it will be a problem.)

Primary Drive = OCZ Vertex 2 OCZSSD2-2VTXE60G 2.5" 60GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Secondary Drive = Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Im new to overclocking and I figured I would set up my new system to be
able to do it well.

I was starting to tinker with ram overclocking, looking at the settings in:

1. Intel Extreme Tuning Utility
2. Easy Tune 6

In Intel Extreme Tuning Utility two numbers are listed in red....and when they are in red its supposed to be "critical"

MCH voltage of 1.5v and
Uncore Volage of 0.9250v

with a memory multiplier of 13.33x (9,9,9,24)

I'm guessing the utility doesn't realize he vengeance ram runs t 1.5 v
What is the uncore voltage.

The default ram settings are listed above, but a preset of

1867 mhz (9,10,9,27) is available.

This would change:

memory multiplier to 8x
MCH voltage to 1.52
Uncore voltage 0.925

I guess my question(s) are:

A. Should I use the preset mentioned above (major gaming going on here)?
B. Should I be over-clocking other things if I'm gonna bother over-clocking the ram?
C. Are the red numbers for the current (default) MCH voltage and Uncore voltage actually "critical" or is it as I suspect......Intel Extreme Tuning Utility is just confused.

I know this was a long drawn out post, but I've seen others that are missing information and I hope I put it all out there for you guys.

Any help from you veterans would be GREATLY appreciated!!! This is my first step into a much larger universe.

-Skeetorius

The BIOS on my Crosshair IV Extreme often marks voltages as dangerous that aren't that dangerous also - I generally disregard those warnings and look at what settings other people are running, or ask around here. Your voltages are fine.

The 9-9-9-24 timings are faster than the 9-10-9-27. You could likely run tighter timings than that even at the rated RAM frequency, however someone more familiar with Intel/Sandybridge is probably best to lend you guidance here.

EDIT: I moved this thread to the memory forum, and deleted the duplicate there. Just contact a staff member with green or red stars for help moving a thread in the future. :welcome:

Last edited:
Back