• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OCZ RevoDrive OCZSSDPX-1RVD0120 PCI-E x4 120GB SSD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jaws95678

Registered
Is this drive any good? I'm buying a GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R LGA 1366 MOBO and the OCZ site says it's compatible but was just wondering if I should use this instead of a regular SATA SSD. Any help is appreciated!

I have heard good things about the revo drives so far. But it is still relatively new and I have heard when installing windows you might run into a bit of issues with drivers. What regular ssd would you have gotten?

There's been a few benching team members getting them for PCMark05, and they are great drives. The only gripe I've heard about them is the installation procedure wasn't easy. I think it had to do with installing the drivers before installing the OS so it will be recognized for OS installation.

I have heard good things about the revo drives so far. But it is still relatively new and I have heard when installing windows you might run into a bit of issues with drivers. What regular ssd would you have gotten?

Thanks for the replies! I was going to get the OCZ Vertex 2 OCZSSD2-2VTXE120G 2.5" 120GB because I've heard good things about it but then saw the read/write speeds of the RevoDrive and was on the bandwagon right away. I just didn't know if PCI-E was the best interface for SSD. It was also on sale for $225.

Getting a couple of Vertex 2 drives on Intel RAID 0 will yield better latency then the Revo drive. Also Revo drive takes longer to post threw the bios.

I would recommend taking a look at the Corsair Performance 3 SSD's. They have very aggressive Garbage Collection so they should do well in RAID setups.

Last edited:
I've set up a few builds at work with them. They are good drives and they do require drivers to complete the installation. Windows 7 makes it relatively easy as you can put the drivers on a USB key and then browse the key during the install to find the drivers. It is recognized as a SCSI drive and basically has it's own RAID0 on it.

Windows installation isn't as hard as some people make it sound...as long as your MB is able to see it in the boot menu. You can get the drivers from the OCZ website and then just install windows as normal. ;)

I have one for benching, and it's a great drive. It has it's pro's and con's, it all depends on your setup. 2 60gb vertex 2's in Raid 0 will perform slightly better (as hyperasus mentioned), but will also require martix Raid. It does not take any longer to post than a typical raid setup does. The 2 vertex 2's will also be a bit cheaper. But if you're looking for a single drive/card solution, it currently can't be beat. If you have a slot, it's in your budget, and you only want 1 drive... go for it. If you don't mind more than one drive and/or want the ability to expand the array... go with the 2 vertex 2's. I would study up on Raid configurations before you make a decision in that direction though ;)

Thanks again for all your replies. Probably go with the 2 60GB Vertex 2 drives since I just listed the RevoDrive on ebay. I will look into RAID configuration and get a better understanding of it.

There's been a few benching team members getting them for PCMark05, and they are great drives. The only gripe I've heard about them is the installation procedure wasn't easy. I think it had to do with installing the drivers before installing the OS so it will be recognized for OS installation.

Loading RAID drivers for the RAID controller isn't hard at all.

I bought a Revodrive and took it back after having problems. Apparently it has to due with power to the pci-e slot being shut off to save power. I got windows installed at first, it booted fine then blue screened. After that it would BSOD at windows load screen. Apparently a bios update may be able to fix this issue, but I would check your MB manufacturers forum and OCZs forum.

Google search "revodrive blue screen"

Back