• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Win7 Moving Program Files To Another Disk Problem! {Please Help}

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rooster35236

Registered
I'm trying to move the ProgramData DIR from my SSD to a RAID0 array. I did users, and both Program Files DIRs already. I did have to change the owners and user permissions for certain files.
I've been using the command prompt so far:
(ex.) robocopy "c:\Program Files" "g:\Program Files" /mir /xj /copyall

When I was having a problem with a file not transfering I would add:

(ex.) /xf *.*

Then follow that up with
mklink "c:\Program Files" "g:\Program Files" /j
rmdir "C:\Program Files" /S /Q

Now, I'm stuck, [copying file c:\programdata\microsoft\windows\caches\{4e4260........blah blah blah}]
The requested operation cannot be performed on a file with a user-mapped section open.

I've tried changing permissions, owners, credentials, trying to move the files in the Windows environment I even tried stopping my A/V software.
I changed all the registry entries to reflect the new target as well

Can somebody please help with this? I'm about to pull my hair out

i fixed the thread title for you. please remember that this is a G rated forum.
-mbentley

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure if this can be done after Windows install has completed. You may have to reinstall or use another install drive to boot to and move the files from outside the actual install.

Link

Last edited:
This isn't going to go well. Stuff like that isn't meant to be moved, and the operating system throws some stuff in there that it needs to run. If you do succeed in moving all of your stuff (a shadow copy or an offline copy come to mind) the majority of the programs you moved will not work. The Windows registry is a disgusting place.

You'll either have to uninstall and reinstall each program, or reinstall the operating system and install all your programs again.

FYI, unless you're out of space on the Vertex 2, your SSD is going to allow your programs to perform significantly faster than your RAID 0 array will.

I'm not even close to running out of space, I just want Windows to leave as small a foot print on that drive as possible, so there will be plenty of room for programs that I do use regularly. I don't care if norton is a little slow or Catalyst.

I just did this manually... when prompted on what path to install I switch the drive letter.

I'm not even close to running out of space, I just want Windows to leave as small a foot print on that drive as possible, so there will be plenty of room for programs that I do use regularly. I don't care if norton is a little slow or Catalyst.
How big is that directory? And are you sure that moving it to a different drive isn't going to slow Windows down? Doesn't seem particularly worth it, IMO. Just make sure your pagefile and other space hogs are small. Large programs whose speed you don't care about could go on the RAID 0 array.

FYI, Norton is a terrible product. Get yourself a free AV like MS Security Essentials (if you want low maintenance) or Avira.

FYI, Norton is a terrible product. Get yourself a free AV like MS Security Essentials (if you want low maintenance) or Avira.

M$ Essentials is letting through a nasty rogue spyware program called 'System Tool' at the minute, Ive fixed 3 PCs this week already.
AVG or Avast for me

most rogue ware is let through by most most anti virus type software...

as for moving the program folders.

I do custom installs on all my stuff and change it to D:\Program Files\ instead. leave the crap windows needs on C:\Program files or (x86)\

Newegg is going to replace it so in the meantime I had to reinstall on the RAID 0 array. Which windows doesn't recognize..... :confused: after some trial and error I found that the only raid drivers that Windows will recognize from the Asus support DVD is the XPx86 driver, even though it's Windows 7 Ultimate x64 :screwy: and you have to uncheck hide incompatible drivers :-/:screwy:

edit: one more thing if you have an IDE drive hooked up as well it will crash on the 1st restart

that seems like a folder i would wanna leave on the main hard drive anyhow...

but like the other guy said... your gonna have stuff going haywire with the registry. not to mention your gonna have to remake all your icons lol

Newegg is going to replace it so in the meantime I had to reinstall on the RAID 0 array. Which windows doesn't recognize..... :confused: after some trial and error I found that the only raid drivers that Windows will recognize from the Asus support DVD is the XPx86 driver, even though it's Windows 7 Ultimate x64 :screwy: and you have to uncheck hide incompatible drivers :-/:screwy:

edit: one more thing if you have an IDE drive hooked up as well it will crash on the 1st restart

Try downloading the SB8xx RAID Driver for Windows 7 and installing it, optionally extracting the driver itself (\$_OUTDIR\Packages\Drivers\SBDrv\SB8xx\RAID\LH64A) to a USB or Floppy and reinstalling windows attempting to load the updated driver.

Back