• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is it worth it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tango1974

Registered
Ok I have a good setup at the moment. I am running an Asus A8N-SLI with a Opteron 180 mainboard, its still able to play any game on the market and in Hi res on all games.

What I would like to know is it worth me upgrading to a Asus K8N-DL mainboard with twin 180 Opterons. Will I notice a difference at all?

I know the raid will work my raid setup at the moment and my graphics card will run ok, but will I notice any major difference in speed.

The memory on the dual board is running 266MHz 3gb. ECC

Mysetup at the moment has 4GB Standard DRR running at 400Mhz.

So would my setup be faster at the moment as it has more memory and has a faster clock speed. Would I be wasting my money on this upgrade. Its cheap so I thought I might go for it. :bang head

Software has to be specifically written to be able to take advantage of multiple CPUs, both the OS and the applicaiton. Now I know he modern games can use 'multicore" CPUs but I'm not sure if that is the same as multiple CPUs.

Software has to be specifically written to be able to take advantage of multiple CPUs, both the OS and the applicaiton. Now I know he modern games can use 'multicore" CPUs but I'm not sure if that is the same as multiple CPUs.

Yeah that is what I was thinking. I am however going to be using windows 7 Ultimate with the system.

Another issue I have is can I use standard Non ECC memory on the system, as I have loads of this in matched pairs. The board has a secret weapon where is can use all slots as one to create a 1200MHZ system which is very impressive indeed. + having 2 880 opterons would be a nice piece of kit. I just need someone who has had experience with the board to say yes it can be done. Or do I just save my pennies and buy an upto date system. This kit is going cheap at just £140. For that sort of spec it will be worth it. :rock:

Ummmm, one little problem. The K8N-DL is an s940 built for 2xx and 8xx Opterons, not a pair of 1xx Opterons so you cannot run "twin 180 Opterons" in it. Sorry.

Assuming you can get your hands on a pair of 2xx Opty's you still might not see any difference in games. If you were Crunching or Folding then, sure, it's worth it but most games don't really use more than 2 cores and memory is somewhat important as well.

I know it sounds cool and tempting but if it were me I'd save my money ... ;)

Ummmm, one little problem. The K8N-DL is an s940 built for 2xx and 8xx Opterons, not a pair of 1xx Opterons so you cannot run "twin 180 Opterons" in it. Sorry.

Assuming you can get your hands on a pair of 2xx Opty's you still might not see any difference in games. If you were Crunching or Folding then, sure, it's worth it but most games don't really use more than 2 cores and memory is somewhat important as well.

I can get a pair of 880's for £50, still not worth it? What about the extra memory bandwidth?

Tango,

I have a similar setup as yourself and have been getting the upgrade bug as well. I've pretty much decided it is a waste of money to invest in very dated tech.

I say save your coin and invest in a shiny new bulldozer setup !

Tango,

I have a similar setup as yourself and have been getting the upgrade bug as well. I've pretty much decided it is a waste of money to invest in very dated tech.

I say save your coin and invest in a shiny new bulldozer setup !

Yeah your right and maybe not. As this board has a really cool feature, it quads the memory aswell. So it would be pretty much upto date, also has SATA II raid I just need to know if the board will run with NON ECC memory if so I am going to have it as Its still cheaper then buying nice new gear. £150 Vs £500!!! :shrug:

I hear you !

If the FX-60's were not still $200+ dollars used on ebay I would be all over that !

And it's to bad my board does not support windows 7 :(

Best of luck with your setup !

id pass...the newer stuff is so fast compared to that older stuff....if you want memory bandwidth 1366 is awsome....my 1366 rig amazes me on memory intensive apps....

id pass...the newer stuff is so fast compared to that older stuff....if you want memory bandwidth 1366 is awsome....my 1366 rig amazes me on memory intensive apps....
Yea, as long as you don't mind sitting next to a space heater! I'm sure the people in Minnesota, Michigan, and Maine love them this time of year, though. After typing for an hour they can thaw out their fingers with the exhaust fan. :p

what? ive got 2 1366 rig running in the living room and for instance both at idle temps for cpu are: my rig cpu cores 36-40c NB chipset 37c pwm 35c loaded cpu 58-62c NB 48-54.
this thing dosent run any hotter than my 955 amd rig i upgraded from but if it does suck more power than the amd rig you cant tell...heat is not a problem for me and im in orlando....the bandwidth man...its unreal compared to the dual channel rigs but to be honest SB does a good job....its like if you dont have one of these rigs its hard to imagine it...its like you got to be there.....

I water cool because I want a fair overclock without all the noise and I've seen what my Intel brothers need for their CPUs compared to mine. I've seen plenty of 1366 owners talking about temps at 70+, whether yours is or not. No thanks ... :)

Last edited:
Lol this system has a secret weapon. lets put it this way DDR memory running at 1200Mhz!!! It runs all slots together forget dual bandwidth. This does all 6 slots together so the memory is fast real fast!!! BTW is anyone running this board with NON ECC memory?

Dear Valued Customer,

Thank you for contacting ASUS Customer Service.
Sincerely sorry for the delay due to system error.

REG non-ECC memory may work on this model when ECC functions disabled in BIOS. But we do not recommend using this kind of memory and won't guarantee the compatibility.

If you continue to experience issues in the future, please do not hesitate to
contact us again.
Best Regards,
Lathan
ASUS Customer Service

Got my answer is will work Crucial also says it will!!! Cool 6 GB of DDR I will have. Brill.

When you get it running please post back. We don't get to see many server board systems.

And I'd love to see some RAM benches, if nothing else maybe Everest? :)

When you get it running please post back. We don't get to see many server board systems.

And I'd love to see some RAM benches, if nothing else maybe Everest? :)

Will do I dont have the kit yet but I will do, I think its worth going for rather then a new system as it should be just as fast as the newer systems, esp with this special ram setup that the board does. Also both processors work their own ram, I find that pretty impressive! :bday: Which means the ram works in a triple fashion for each processor rather then the usual dual systems. I dont have the kit yet as I am waiting for my first major paycheck from my new company but when I do I will order the board first and the processors after, I will use my existing ram from my 180 Opteron build and then buy another 2 sticks of 1 GB giving me 6 gb of ram!! Shame they never made 4 gb sticks, which the board can take!!! :clap: :clap:

Back