• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What computer *don't* the competitors have?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Automata

Destroyer of Empires and Use
I'll post more information later. But I'm pretty sure that no one else has one of these. This is my nightstand.

pentium_pro_server_1.JPG

Around 15k new, from what I can tell. Has a lone double-tall 19gb hard drive in it. 5 core 200mhz Pentium Pro and 1.3gb of RAM. That is absolutely insane for this era. It has Delta screamers all over and a *touch panel LCD on the front*.

I'm hoping it works this time. Last time, it only saw one processor. I don't remember it saying 5 processors in the BIOS, so I think I may have got it this time.

pentium_pro_server_2.JPG

Hell that hard drive was probably a few thousand easily! Multi GB drives were horribly expensive back then.
Hell and 1.3gb of ram? I didn't even know that was possible!
Very cool!

I remember the one P Pro system I built (ran a computer business from 96 through 99), it was gloriously fast! Only 512k L2 though.

Later tonight, I'll pull the processor/RAM cards out to get pics. The RAM is nuts.

I had started the install of the operating system when I started the thread and it just now finished. Only one processor is detected. Not happy and no idea what to do...

Windows detects it as "MPS Multiprocessor PC".

EDIT: Interesting

If you install Windows Server 2003 on some dual-processor or multiple-processor servers, the server may run with only one processor. This may occur if the server uses some Pentium Pro or Pentium II processors.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/319091/en-us

Have you gone into msconfig yet? I assume these are single core cpus? Open msconfig go to boot and then click advanced options and change number of processors to the correct number. Reboot and see if that helps. :shrug:

Nope, it isn't that. 2k3 does not support multiple Pentium Pro processors, according to Microsoft. Glad I kept my copy of 2000 server!

I fired up a Gentoo disk quick to see what it said and it found all 5 no problem. It isn't a hardware issue. Installing 2k now! See you in 4 hours.

XP doesn't support multiple processors.

EDIT: I take that back since that is wrong. Home supports one. Pro supports two.

My 2000 disk will not boot. This is a completely legit copy and it doesn't detect it as a bootable disk. 2k3 and my linux disks work...

Found out the disk isn't bootable. :-/

Finding another method, I got a key for this. Going to have to borrow a disk.

Probably one of the ancient boot-floppy setups :(
I was so happy when they were gone!

Visbits helped me out, I got a working disk now. Doing the install.

I probably won't bench it tonight.

Back