• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[O/C]ASRock P67 Extreme 6 Motherboard Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
What? Did they change it with the B3 chip revision? It's in the lower left on this Extreme 6 (photo). Hopefully you over looked it b/c it's far from the typical placement. The insane amount of legacy connectivity was one of the things I liked about the board.

That's a floppy connector on my board, hokie. I would much rather give up a floppy connector and have an IDE but I guess that would cost more than a floppy connector. And I guess for business use, a floppy still might be required or something. And yes, except for IDE, this board has a host of legacy connectors. Hell, I haven't seen an IR header in ages but this board has one.:shock:

Curses, it IS a floppy connector. I'm sorry, my brain wasn't firing when I posted that; you're absolutely right.

Damn, this is literally the easiest setup I have ever overclocked.:shock:

I just went into bios (or whatever it is now) and set the vcore to 12.5, the load line calibration to the tightest setting and set a 44 multi and reboot, instant 4.4 and it looks totally stable. I also went and manually set the ram speed and timings to what this OCZ stuff I got from RMA was rated for and again, no problems. It's pretty neat in a way, but it also takes a bit of the fun of overclocking away too. With these procs, any rank amateur can get within 90% of even a seasoned overclocker with processor overclock.

EDIT: BTW, this board came with EFI version 1.5 installed on it.

My system is built and a fresh copy of Win 7 x64 installed. I have some pics I'll post later.

It is running great at stock speeds but the next step is to do some overclocking!! :thup:

If it weren't for having to test the board at stock for the review, mine wouldn't have even made 5min. This platform just begs you to OC it. :)

Heh, my stock running consisted of the first boot into the UEFI. :D I doubt it made 5 minutes at stock speeds.

If it weren't for having to test the board at stock for the review, mine wouldn't have even made 5min. This platform just begs you to OC it. :)
My system begged to have the sata drivers updated and once I did my boot drive got corrupted. :shrug: I spent the rest of the time reinstalling and restoring my data.:temper:

But now all is good!

System (the video card spacing on this board is great!):
picture.php

Close up on cpu (I removed the top covers that blocked air flow):
picture.php

Looks great Owenator. You're right, I didn't even mention it but the PCIe slots are spaced for nice airflow on dual cards.

Great idea removing those top covers; I'd do that too for a 24/7 system. Looking at your sig, I bet that machine really rocks on those four monitors. :)

Looks great Owenator. You're right, I didn't even mention it but the PCIe slots are spaced for nice airflow on dual cards.

Great idea removing those top covers; I'd do that too for a 24/7 system. Looking at your sig, I bet that machine really rocks on those four monitors. :)
Thanks for the kind words!

While posting those pics I realized that I mounted my GTZ worng! :shock:

It's supposed to have the words line up with the socket lever at the base.:(
apogeegtz-waterblock-orientation.gif

I guess it's an opportuniuty for me to check my thermal grease aplication. :) LOL

EDIT: BTW I'm using the wsocket 775 mounting that the ASRock supports. It works but prob not as optimal as the actual 1156/1155 mounting kit.

An update on my experience this board:
Two weeks ago my system crashed while playing BF3 and had a weird error about "one GPU missing" (I was running SLI). I started troubleshooting and it turns out my EVGA GTX570 was dead. :( I swapped around cards and came to find out that not only was that video card dead but so was the PCIe slot it had been in! :eek: I RMA'd the video card but the second and third PCIe slots still work so I haven't RMA'd the board yet. (must play BF3!)

The video card replacement is on the way and I am debating going back to my i7 920 setup so I can RMA the board.

Does this seem to be a common issue with these boards (PCI-E slot dying)? I've just got my Asrock P67 extreme6 up and running and so far its working ok.

Does this seem to be a common issue with these boards (PCI-E slot dying)? I've just got my Asrock P67 extreme6 up and running and so far its working ok.
That's the exact same board I have. I read about at least one more in the product feedback at Newegg (where I got mine). When I bought mine they said it had an upgraded to two year warranty.

I'm going to start the RMA process. I rebuilt my system this weekend in preparation. I'm back to using with my previous X58 board: EVGA SLI3 - socket 1366 w/ i7 920 @ 3.2 GHz.

Still plays BF3 just fine! :thup:

Back