Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

[O/C]ASRock P67 Extreme 6 Motherboard Review

In years past, ASRock wasn't a namesynonymouswith high-end performance. Then they impressed a lot of overclockers with their affordable X58 Extreme series. Today we'll take a look at their highest-end 'Extreme' board (second only to their Fatal1ty), the P67 Extreme 6.
    ... Return to article to continue reading.

2. Thanks!

MasterNater (03-18-11)

Senior Member that
    wants to Be Banned
    Premium Member #16

10 Year Badge
    Not a fan of the blue and white but this looks good! Nice review H!
    #1Win72600k@4.5GHZ(Hyper212+)Msi P67 G65 16GB RAM evga560Ti
    #2 Ubuntu 4P 6172's 48 cores on a SuperMicro
    Phones:Nexus 5(Love It) N4,N7, iphone5
    Folded for Tim and his wife, Mark and his wife,Pete_Scout Oldskool and Adak..."He was the Best of us".
    Last Steam App Update..."Allow App to Magically start itself and login by itself" is on list of permissions!

Water Cooled Moderator
    Overclockers.com Lead Editor
    Thank you kindly! I've always liked blue boards; probably a holdover from my days at abit (RIP old friend). Not that others don't look darn nice, but blue always makes me nostalgic.

Enjoy benchmarks? Join the benching team! | New to water cooling? Read the Beginner's Guide to Water Cooling Your PC.

xsuperbgx - "As a wise man once said: "Less talky. More clocky."" | cyberfish - "When overclocked, it's undefined behavior."
    I.M.O.G. - "Vaseline on Ivy Bridge is a bad idea. But not so bad of an idea that it can't be fixed with a torpedo heater, a dishwasher, an oven, and a few hours. "

\m/ OverClockers mATX L33T Club \m/ - Join Now! - My mITX Build

Premium Member #21

Very nice review

The color scheme is different, and somehow makes it look like an "older" model board. Interesting indeed!

Yep I had this board,sent it back for the recall..It was a fine board and will probably buy it again,was flawless to work with,nice layout..Waiting to see when EVGA will release something competitive to the Extreme 6 but i won't wait ill but this board again..
    Roswill THOR II-ASUS Maximus V Formula-Intel 3770K @ 4.6GHZ-Corsair H100i-Corsair Force GT 120 X 2 in RAID 0-Windows 7 Ultimate X64-16GB Corsair Vengeance 1866-ASUS 660s OC SLI-SILVERSTONE ST85F-P 850W/ Folding for TEAM 32
    Folding User Stats

awesome! thank you very much for taking the time to do such an in depth review.

kudos

Senior Memory Guru
    Premium Member #19

nice review
    I have Extreme 4 and except some small issues I'm happy about it.
    Hokie You mentioned about bios in socket. Seems ok but when chip dies then you have option to reflash it yourself or make rma and pay to fix it ( at least I had problem with Pro3 board and ASRock support asked me to send chip, quote from mail:
    "Please mention your own address, the model name, and include the € 5. - in cash. Sorry, no other currencies, no cheques, Paypal, or other payment methods." <- joke ? BIOS/UEFI recovery isn't working like it was in all older AMI bioses no dual bios etc.

BIOS/UEFI seems good and ASRock support works much better than for example Asus. On Extreme 4 I have also problem with bclk that isn't working while I set it even +/-0.1MHz and I can change it in windows up to 103MHz with ASRock soft.
    I asked support about more memory timing options and to fix bclk issues but got no answer for last 2 mails.
    Except above both Extreme 4 and 6 are really nice boards and it's hard to find better boards for this price

Water Cooled Moderator
    Haha, I'd try another person in tech support. Asking to send cash plus the chip doesn't sound too smart to me either.

The UEFI is strong, but could be much stronger if they would combine the positives of each with each other. For the Extreme 6, the best combination would be the RAM stability of 1.3, the vCore and bclk adjustment improvement (from 1 bclk to .1 bclk) of 1.33A and the software-interface capability of 1.4. That would make the perfect version 1.5, which I'm hoping they come up with sometime soon.

Enjoy benchmarks? Join the benching team! | New to water cooling? Read the Beginner's Guide to Water Cooling Your PC.

xsuperbgx - "As a wise man once said: "Less talky. More clocky."" | cyberfish - "When overclocked, it's undefined behavior."
    I.M.O.G. - "Vaseline on Ivy Bridge is a bad idea. But not so bad of an idea that it can't be fixed with a torpedo heater, a dishwasher, an oven, and a few hours. "

Researches Meritless
    LIES for the Front
    Page and Super Mutterator

Overclockers.com Editor
    First Responders

Nice review Hokie! Nice board!

"We have more information and more ways of accessing it than ever, yet seem increasingly less inclined to do so."- Michael Wilbon

Senior Memory Guru
    Premium Member #19

Quote Originally Posted by hokiealumnus View Post
    Haha, I'd try another person in tech support. Asking to send cash plus the chip doesn't sound too smart to me either.
    I made RMA in shop where I bought it and I got money back that's why I got Extreme 4 after that.
    I have no problem to set my memory @2133 but timings are pain. My PSC kits are making lower clocks than on X58 boards and if I wish to set 2133@cl6/7 then I have to set noticable higher voltage than on X58 even that there I was running triple channel. I think that the same is on Extreme 6.
    There are stable UEFI versions on ASRock site and betas too so it's no problem to get something with high vcore and internal pll but memory timings could be better.

Water Cooled Moderator
    On 1.33 it ran the 1866 divider quite well at a respectable 6-8-7-24 with a G.Skill Flare kit I have.

Senior Memory Guru
    Premium Member #19

I added today 6-10-6@2144 on my PSC kit but voltage ~1.78V
    http://www.overclockers.com/forums/s...d.php?t=662361

24/7 8GB( 4x2GB) A-Data+KHX ( PSC+BDBG ) @2133 9-11-9 1.57V and I'm just waiting for better UEFI ... and maybe better cpu as mine is really bad.

Nice review! I just bought one. Should have it later in the week for a weekend build. Wish me luck!
    System: ASRock P67 Extreme6, i7-2600k @ 4.6 GHz, 16GiB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600, Galaxy GTX 570 & EVGA GTX570 in SLI @ stock, 120GB Corsair F120 SSD for Win 7 Pro x64, WD Caviar Black 1 TB for everything else, Lite-On Dual layer DVDRW, Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 1200W PSU, CM690 II advanced case.
    Accessories: ACER 23" WS LCD + ACER 21" WS for web/TS/etc. DIY 4-way monitor stand. Logitech G35 headset, Idelazon Fang keypad, Logitech G9 mouse, Zalman FPS Gun mouse, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick, momo racing wheel w/ pedals.
    Water Cooling : Replumbed to one single loop. Apogee GTZ CPU block, MCR220 w/ 2x Panaflo 120x38 'M's, MCR220 w/ 2x Panaflo 120x38 'H's, MCP350 w/ bored over Alphacoool top. MCP220 drive with second MCP350 in series w/first. 2x MCW60 GPU blocks Temps: TBD

Blackbelt Ubercloxx0r My Current Rig My First WC Rig DIY Nvidia Surround Setup

Water Cooled Moderator
    Thanks.

You won't need any luck though, with multi overclocking SB is a walk in the park for a lot of computing power. Get a decent cooler on there and have a blast!

Quote Originally Posted by hokiealumnus View Post
    Thanks.

You won't need any luck though, with multi overclocking SB is a walk in the park for a lot of computing power. Get a decent cooler on there and have a blast!
    I have a Swiftech Apogee GTZ to put on it. Just debating on using the socket 775 mounting or getting a new 1155/1156 backplate.
    System: ASRock P67 Extreme6, i7-2600k @ 4.6 GHz, 16GiB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600, Galaxy GTX 570 & EVGA GTX570 in SLI @ stock, 120GB Corsair F120 SSD for Win 7 Pro x64, WD Caviar Black 1 TB for everything else, Lite-On Dual layer DVDRW, Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 1200W PSU, CM690 II advanced case.
    Accessories: ACER 23" WS LCD + ACER 21" WS for web/TS/etc. DIY 4-way monitor stand. Logitech G35 headset, Idelazon Fang keypad, Logitech G9 mouse, Zalman FPS Gun mouse, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick, momo racing wheel w/ pedals.
    Water Cooling : Replumbed to one single loop. Apogee GTZ CPU block, MCR220 w/ 2x Panaflo 120x38 'M's, MCR220 w/ 2x Panaflo 120x38 'H's, MCP350 w/ bored over Alphacoool top. MCP220 drive with second MCP350 in series w/first. 2x MCW60 GPU blocks Temps: TBD

Quote Originally Posted by Owenator View Post
    I have a Swiftech Apogee GTZ to put on it. Just debating on using the socket 775 mounting or getting a new 1155/1156 backplate.
    Like you, I am waiting for UPS to deliver my new Ex-6. And I am also planning to cool it with a GTZ with a MCR220 rad loop. I went and ordered the Apogee GTZ-UHD-1156-BP kit from SVC, since at the time I ordered I wasn't sure which board I was going to go with. It came to right under $13 with shipping and got to my house in 2 days.

I am looking forward to getting this board and finally getting my 2600k up and running too. I bought the proc out of the classies over a month ago and it's just been sitting in the box, waiting for a mobo.

Quote Originally Posted by muddocktor View Post
    Like you, I am waiting for UPS to deliver my new Ex-6. And I am also planning to cool it with a GTZ with a MCR220 rad loop. I went and ordered the Apogee GTZ-UHD-1156-BP kit from SVC, since at the time I ordered I wasn't sure which board I was going to go with. It came to right under $13 with shipping and got to my house in 2 days.

I am looking forward to getting this board and finally getting my 2600k up and running too. I bought the proc out of the classies over a month ago and it's just been sitting in the box, waiting for a mobo.
    Nice!

UPS says my board is coming today and I got the CPU and RAM yesterday. Building it tonight hopefully.

Water Cooled Moderator
    Sweet guys...share pics!

Quote Originally Posted by Owenator View Post
    Nice!

UPS says my board is coming today and I got the CPU and RAM yesterday. Building it tonight hopefully.
    How's the build coming along man? Mine came in this evening and I have started installing it in the case. I will have to do some optical drive swapping around though. The case I'm installing in has an old IDE dvd drive and there isn't any IDE on the board. Luckily I can rob the drive out of my test rig, since the P6T does have an IDE header on it.

Water Cooled Moderator
    What? Did they change it with the B3 chip revision? It's in the lower left on this Extreme 6 (photo). Hopefully you over looked it b/c it's far from the typical placement. The insane amount of legacy connectivity was one of the things I liked about the board.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast