• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Reviving Overclockix - Any takers?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

I.M.O.G.

Glorious Leader
Last edited:
Oh man I just searched for the latest info on Overclockix, and man I dug up some dirt on myself. I was such a n00b back then. I think either reviving this or b0rgix would be great!

this really is an interesting project and i wish i had time to do it myself. I'd love to offer help when i can but i'm not sure how often that would be right now

I am familiar with the UNIX CLI on an introductory level. I can write basic scripts and I understand the UNIX Shell Programming Language on a basic level. I would be glad to provide assistance to someone whom may be spearheading the project (i.e.: "Brian write a program that will do this" or "take a look at this program for me so I can get a second pair of eyes on it").

I would love to help just to add to my UNIX *cough* expertise!

Kisses,
Brian

remember hearing about overclockix but i don't think i ever used it at all. i will have to do some searching around to look and see what some of the goals of Arkaine23's work were but i think this could definitely be a fun project.

*edit: does anyone still have a copy of overclockix? it's hard to find one since most copies seem to have come from overclockix.octeams.com which is now defunct

*2nd edit: never mind. found a copy here http://www.distromania.com/distro_info.php?distro=191

Last edited:
having downloaded and booted up the overclockix distro, i must say that the posts i have read weren't kidding when they called it versatile. it definitely has a bit of kitchen sink syndrome so if some folks want to work on this, i think that defining some new goals and purposes would be a very good idea. i think that a slimmer distro might be in the best interest when it comes to a project like this but really it can be whatever we would want it to be.

From DistroWatch:
This Knoppix-based distribution features a host of tools for network security, low-level hardware tweaking, burn-in applications like memtest, lucifer, cpuburn, and distributed computing clients - folding@home, seti@home, and prime-net. The GUIs include KDE, Fluxbox, IceWM, and twm with a good deal of customisation to KDE and Fluxbox. It even has Windows virus scanning capability and an ability install-on-demand 3D Radeon and NVIDIA drivers. Overclockix is a great tool to test out and fix systems and a cheap way to build distributed computing clusters Transparency and other tweaks can be found throughout the Window managers. It also includes support for NForce2 and KT400 integrated network cards, as well as some winmodem drivers.

Last release was 1995

Overall, i'd say set it up with F@H and Seti@home, proprietary nvidia/ATI drivers, various Wifi Drivers, and then put on a lighterweight GUI.
Make the startup default load the gui, but give an option to have it start a F@H/SETI with no gui.
Keep the stress testing programs, and hardware monitoring programs.

I'd say the focus would be as an easy to use benchmarking OS, and also useable as a HDD free *@home client.

I agree: internet, benchmarking, distributed computing.

I wish I had time to really get involved but I'd suggest looking at using a new distro as a base (perhaps ubuntu) and then aim to release new versions in line with that distro.

I agree completely. I was thinking Ubuntu for the Debian heritage plus well-known user-friendliness.

I'd LOVE to help with this. Don't consider myself a Linux pro at all, but have been dual booting for about 2 years. Love a Debian base (DESPISE KDE) and really like Gnome.

But I'd definitely like to help out as much as possible.

well the debian live project definitely can make live ISOs that work great. the next thing i would like to investigate further is how customizable it can be. i am able to make live cds and specify packages that i want to include but i haven't touched adding anything custom yet.

I also wouldnt mind contributing to this, if I had more time I would have even taken point. I have my wedding coming in May and I am in the process of moving as well as being in the "probation" period of a new job (as well as having to get 4 certs by the end of may...) so I have a fairly busy immediate schedule

I also have a copy of the latest overclockix release - enablingwolf had archived a copy just in case it may disappear from the internets someday. :)

I can't take point on this personally, however I will lend direction for the person who is interested in doing so. Essentially, the point person needs to gather consensus on what approach is best (debian/ubuntu base customized for us or something more from scratch), outline the steps that need done, then just help organize/assign items to anyone interested in pitching in so we can start crossing stuff off the list.

Would love to get involved.

a few years ago I was involved in "icebuntu" but I didnt have the time or ability to keep it going.

edit: http://icebuntu.6.forumer.com/search.php?search_author=markp1989
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DerivativeTeam/Derivatives/IceBuntu
a lot of the stuff I did there was primitive/noobish

I would be willing to help with testing / ideas etc

Im downloading the old overclockix to see how it is.

I agree with a post on the last page about using Ubuntu as a base as you can get the minimal iso which is about 12mb and build from there so it can be kept small

edit: link for minimal ubuntu iso https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/MinimalCD

as Overclockix seems to gear towards benching / stress testing a tiling window manager like Xmonad could be a good fit, might have to include text on the wallpaper which lists a few of the keyboard shortcuts to help people get used to using it.

editAgain:https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCDCustomizationFromScratch link to building a live Ubuntu remix

Last edited:
I think putting a custom performance monitoring application in it (like Conky) would be super helpful for keeping tabs on the machine while stressing.

EDIT: Woot, this post just put me at three stars. Yay for becoming a "member." :D

Or better yet just make an awesome design and allow the full hex color spectrum to be filled in at different aspects of the color scheme! I am definitely concurring with using Ubuntu as a base.

Back