• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dewars...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xsuperbgx

Benching Team Leader
Here is some pictures of my dewar. It is a 35L stainless steel. I purchased from black hole surplus. It seems to insulate good. The level was about the same at the start of my runs on saturday as it was at end of my runs on thursday night. It did not come with a lid though. Some suggest a tennis ball but the opening is too large for that. Any ideas?

A withdrawal device would be nice as it is pretty difficult to pour when on the bottom half of the tank. It is heavy and a pain to lift into my truck when full or move up and down the stairs to my basement (where I bench). I am glad that I didn't get the 50L. It lasted for 4-5 hours for two nights (8-10 total.)

IMAG0049.jpg

IMAG0050.jpg

Matt made one out of foam, I am looking around right now to find where to get a large block of it. Michaels online doesn't show a piece large enough to make one and I don't know how well gluing pieces together would hold up. I don't know the opening size on yours, he told me on the phone mine was about 3 1/2" ID. The tracking is saying its suppose to be delivered Friday so I will know more about it then.

Looks awesome :) Wish I could get one cheap, as LN2 is a lot easier to get than DICE in Denmark :eek:

As promised since this is a show us your Dewar thread. Also I would like to add this Dewar came from Blackhole also and was extremely fast shipping and they are great to talk with on the phone.

Attachments

• OCL.jpg
    OCL.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 213
Last edited:
I haven't used it yet, wont have a pot for a couple weeks it looks like. This one is 25L's the one Super has is 35L's. I will go down to the pluming supply and get me a 4" to 2" flexible reducer to put on the top of the Dewar to reduce the size of the outlet to help me be able to control the pour a bit more since the opening size is 3 1/2" ID.

Nice dewars, what do those run used, the website they have is somewhat archaic, and what does LN2 cost?

ln2 varies wildly by region.

Blackholesurplus said:
Prices are $200 for the 30L dewars. We also have 50l available. They are $250. Shipping/Handling is about $100, depending upon how far we ship them.

supposed to be cheaper if you call em though :)

Your best bet is to call. I emailed and got one quote and called the next day and got a better price. They are very friendly on the phone and will take the time to go over anything that you want to talk about.

Super about $13 for the cone and half hour taking my time. Got the cone at Michaels.

You may be able to buy the smaller cheap cone I cut a lot off of this one so its 5" at the base in the pic. but I wanted to make sure it was still 3" round at the top. I bought one of the cheap $10 hot wire cutters to make it, you can borrow that if you want when you make yours.

Attachments

• CNT.jpg
    CNT.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:
I put my dewar up on the edge of a plastic tote and on a wood block so I could tilt it easy when the level was down below 1/2. I went upstairs for dinner and the edge of the plastic tote bent down while I was away from it, and the 1/2 full dewar fell over. I stood it up. Barely any LN2 spilled. I stood it up and left it until today. I left work early to do a little more benching. When I looked at my dewar it had condensation all over it and the LN2 was gone.
Upon inspection ( camera phone in top). I see this. I believe a weld on the inside cracked and let the vacuum out ( or air in ?) :cry:
IMAG0284.jpg

:rofl:

Hey we could even hide a few bodies in there if someone snaps and starts "stabbing people in the eye with a soldering iron"... Cookie for the one that tells me what movie that comes from.. :D

"You're talking to my guy all wrong... It's the wrong tone. You do it again and I'll stab you in the face with a soldering iron." - Christopher Walken

128775540665564719.jpg

Christopher Walken is hilarious :D

That 6000 gallon dewar is insane, that's like 22000L :shock:

Well, I just upgraded to a 50L. Blackhole had a good one in stock.
Between that and my watercooling stuff I have been buying, I have now blown my BD budget.
I guess I have couple months to save up though. :)

Back