• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bios advice for DFI Lanparty needed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jtc_hunter

I have a DFI Lanparty NF4 socket 939, and Sisoft sandra says i may be able to go from my Opteron cpu to a Duel core Athlon 2. Can someone recommend me a bios update to support this? And will it be worth it?

I dont think those boards can run athlon 2....i believe opteron was the high end cpu...sometimes software is wrong....check the dfi site for cpu compatability and you will see for sure...

I think

Wesley's Dad is spot on...

http://www.buycheapr.com/us/result.jsp?ga=us10&q=dual+core+amd+939
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800 2 Socket 939
AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 4200 2 Socket 939
AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 4400 2 Socket 939
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600 Socket 939
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800 Socket 939

Key to that search is dual+core+amd+939 939 for socket 939. Seems they are calling what is left of 939 dual core processors as Athlon 64 X2 for dual core.

There are a couple of what look like OEM opterons listed at that link, like this one...Opteron Up Model 175 - 939 Pin (pib) << Key again is that 939 PIN which means the cpu is for Socket 939.

Bios version 3/29 is fine for dual core processors and does not have the same problem the 4/06 had for some after the flash.

Sisoft Sandra said that? I didnt know Sandra did CPU compatabiliity with mobos... steer clear from that.

Athlon II's are also not S939 so thats impossible.

I would say go to DFI website to check CPU compatibility, but Im also not sure it even exists anymore. I would imagine the best thing you can put in there, with a flash to the newest bios already in place, is a S939 A64 6400+.

I checked and Athlon II Opteron duel cores are compatible with the newer bios. They are a 939

I thought Athlon II was Phenom based, which is AMx socket? Oh well, out of my element here...

I have a DFI Lanparty NF4 socket 939, and Sisoft sandra says i may be able to go from my Opteron cpu to a Duel core Athlon 2. Can someone recommend me a bios update to support this? And will it be worth it?
If your Opteron is a single core then you should get a performance boost switching to a dual core.

If your BIOS is dated from 2006 or newer it should support dual core K8's which includes Athlon 64, Opteron 165/170/175/180/185 models, and the FX-60. CPU-Z's Mainboard tab should show the BIOS date.

I thought Athlon II was Phenom based, which is AMx socket? Oh well, out of my element here...
No, you are quite correct! :) Athlon II K10 AM3 is the generation after the Athlon 64 K8 CPUs of the s939 and AM2 era. No K10 CPU will fit an s939 board.

I checked and Athlon II Opteron duel cores are compatible with the newer bios. They are a 939
I think you're getting confused between "X2" and "II". Athlon 64 X2 is an s939 and AM2 CPU. Athlon II is an AM3 CPU. Only the Athlon 64 s939 models will fit your board.

Last edited:
Well, I'm no Opteron guru but is an Opteron dual core? If so then no format is needed. If it is a single core then you need to reinstall XP so it gets the proper config for a dual core. I got an Athlon X2 3800 that runs fine in my DFI Lanparty Ultra-D. Just my 2 cents...

:thup:

Some opterons are dual core, but I believe that starts with the opty 160

I too have a DFI nf4 sli-dr that was running a 3800+ x2 oc'd to 2.6, now its running an opteron 170 oc'd to 2.6..depending on what you're trying to do with the system, the opteron might be a better choice. I use it for rosetta and the extra l2 cache is a lot better.

Last edited:
No. I went from e8400 to Q9450. I will re-recognize the the CPU and may install something for it, but thats all.

I reformatted when going from a single to a dual core. It has something to do with Windows installing the multi-processor driver. I was told in the past that you have to re-install Windows to get it to work right. Someone on here may be able to give more info.

I just did above you...

It will install the items for you. It may be BEST to reformat and do an install, but I certainly had no trouble with mine. ;)

Back