• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[O/C]AMD HD6990 Preview - Photos and Screenshots!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
GEEKGASM

I was wondering what are the parts surrounded? Is the black squares the memory module (AKA ram?)
hd6990stockimages05.jpg

I only see 8 memory modules (4 per GPU I bet). My 5870 has also 8 but for only one GPU and it just has 1Gb :confused:

This beast shoulda have at least 4Gb to compete with the 5970 6 eyefinity version.
Picture of the 5970 4Gb:
122a.jpg

As you can see, there's also 8 memory modules per GPU in the 5970!

That will probably be when a HD7990 is released, so you have some waiting to do...:)

hey that's ok with me!

does that mean that once the 6990 is released, then there will be a 5970 up for grabs??! if so, put me down for that one too!

GEEKGASM

I was wondering what are the parts surrounded? Is the black squares the memory module (AKA ram?)
hd6990stockimages05.jpg

I only see 8 memory modules (4 per GPU I bet). My 5870 has also 8 but for only one GPU and it just has 1Gb :confused:

This beast shoulda have at least 4Gb to compete with the 5970 6 eyefinity version.
Picture of the 5970 4Gb:
122a.jpg

I would assume (very uneducated here), but they [Amd] probably changed to a more dense ram, or put some on the back side... Like SDRAM, it's possible to have more or less dense memory banks. The more dense all fit on one side vs. the less dense have to go on both sides to give the same total space.

Is there any advantage having it dense beside space save? In my mind, dense = expensive. Also, I checked the 6970 PCB and it looks like it is build as the 5870 in term of memory module. Quite intrigued with that stuff.

"March 8 Launch Date for Radeon HD 6990
The the consumer graphics industry is about to see yet another round of competition between top market players AMD and NVIDIA in March, with reports suggesting that the red team (AMD) has chosen March 8 as the launch date of its Radeon HD 6990 graphics card. NVIDIA's response, the GeForce GTX 590 is slated for sometime later in March, as well. AMD is said to be finalizing the SKU, and it should be launched by partners on the 8th of next month. The Radeon HD 6990 is a dual-GPU "CrossFire on a stick" solution, in which two AMD Cayman GPUs with 2 GB of memory each, work in tandem."

Techpowerup

Must be on the back, or really dense then. IIRC, the dense stuff (SDRAM) didn't clock as well, but that was more slated towards the top end SRSBSNS overclockers.

GEEKGASM

hd6990stockimages05.jpg

Picture of the 5970 4Gb:
122a.jpg

I am no expert but this is what I think each thing you circled is:

Yellow box: There looks like they'd be the power circuitry for the memory modules.

Purple box: The purple box and the yellow box below it are probably the power circuitry for the GPU cores.

Red box: I think that controls communications between each 'GPU section', I guess you could call it a crossfire chip, except it is likely higher bandwidth and lower latency.

Green box: No clue, other than it looks like it might belong to the memory power circuitry above it.

These are all just what I think, I don't actually know. I could possibly have the memory and GPU core power circuits mixed up too. There is likely RAM modules on the back, with AMD pushing 5x1 eyefinity as a major feature of this card it would be hard to believe them having anything less than 2GB per GPU section.

Ah thanks! pretty nice to see it bigger!
Now I can see it:

hd6990stockimages05.jpg

You guys are right (nothing is sure at 100% but chances are that...) ;)

I wouldn't think an OC version would sell very well. But who knows :shrug:

65-75 watts added for only 50MHz more on the cores.

I wouldn't think an OC version would sell very well. But who knows :shrug:

65-75 watts added for only 50MHz more on the cores.

Exactly what I was thinking... why bother listing that? Maybe it was just in anticipation of manufacturers releasing factory OC'd cards.

Hopefully when its released the rest of the cards will drop in price a little.

I think price drops will depend on what the MSRP will be on the HD6990. I'm guessing $600, but if they were to list it at $550, I think that would force nVidia to drop prices. I wouldn't buy a GTX580 for $500 if the HD6990 was $550, I doubt many people would b/c if you're dishing out that kind of cash $50 more is nothing. Whether a price drop will be seen if listed at $600 will probably depend on performance. This is just my take on it.

I think price drops will depend on what the MSRP will be on the HD6990. I'm guessing $600, but if they were to list it at $550, I think that would force nVidia to drop prices. I wouldn't buy a GTX580 for $500 if the HD6990 was $550, I doubt many people would b/c if you're dishing out that kind of cash $50 more is nothing. Whether a price drop will be seen if listed at $600 will probably depend on performance. This is just my take on it.

$ 600 is within my range too but thats as far as i would go, i currently have a 6970, and seriously thinking about getting the 6990 to do tri-fire.

The question is will my Antec 1200 Watt PSU handle the beast in tri fire with the 6970?

Back