• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Unable to connect to Microsoft.com

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

2484Stryker

Registered
Hi guys,

I'm unable to connect to Microsoft.com using Firefox + IE, nor can I download the newest Win 7 service pack 1 via windows update (download freezes at 19%). However, other updates (e.g. Windows Defender definitions), downloaded and installed with no problems.

EDIT: connecting my desktop directly to the cable modem (bypassing router) has allowed me to access Microsoft; it is in fact the router that is causing this.

Please note that this has occurred across three different computers, one being a brand new Asus PC and the other a newly-reformatted tablet. To make sure, I've also ran Spybot scans + Malwarebytes.

I'm suspecting that this is a router issue, but I'm unable to pinpoint exactly what the problem is, let alone how to fix it. FYI, I'm on the Shaw network (Vancouver), and I'm connected to the cable modem via a TrendNet TEW-652BRP router with the latest firmware.

This problem is really getting on my nerves, so I'd appreciate any help at all.

Thank you!

Last edited:
are you connecting using a cable to the router? or wirelessly?
what is the DNS server entries in the router? Maybe you could try setting to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 (Google DNS)?

are you connecting using a cable to the router? or wirelessly?
what is the DNS server entries in the router? Maybe you could try setting to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 (Google DNS)?

Thanks for the reply. The problem is actually solved...kinda. I tried plugging the Ethernet cable from the cable modem directly into my desktop rig (bypassing the router), and ended being able to go to microsoft.com, at which point I realized that it was my crappy TrendNet router messing with me. Made a quick trip down to my local computer shop and bought a D-Link router - problem solved.

Back