• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Using phone SIM in Laptop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CompuTamer

Member with Some Fancy Text Under His Name
Hey guys.

So, that AT&T forum is useless. They won't reply to anything about anything.

If i pull the SIM card out of my phone (with "unlimited" data), and put it into my laptop, i should be able to connect to AT&T's data network, right?

I assume that if your laptop was using the same technology to connect to the wireless network as your phone is then you should have no problem. The SIM card is merely your unique identifier to the ISP.

Brian

I'm on AT&T, so i was mostly worried about them not letting it connect since that SIM is for a phone.

The card i'm getting is a Sierra Wireless HSPDA+ modem, that supports everything down to EDGE, so i would assume it supports AT&T.

My phone got stolen, and that's murderous to the battery on the computer. That's what i've been doing, and just plugging my phone into my computer cuts the battery life by about an hour and 45 minutes. I figure if i'm going to pay for tethering for an iPhone anyway, i might as well just open a data line to the laptop. I'm hoping to just trade the SIM around though.

This doesn't directly answer your question, but my friend who is with T-mobile, managed to get his phone SIM card into the IPAD. He had to physically trim the plastic casing on the sim card, to make it fit a microSIM slot, but it did work. The ipad worked without any issues and since its a data only device, it might be a glimmer of hope for you. I personally watched him go through the process. If the laptop has a normal SIM slot, I would definetly try it.

This doesn't directly answer your question, but my friend who is with T-mobile, managed to get his phone SIM card into the IPAD. He had to physically trim the plastic casing on the sim card, to make it fit a microSIM slot, but it did work. The ipad worked without any issues and since its a data only device, it might be a glimmer of hope for you. I personally watched him go through the process. If the laptop has a normal SIM slot, I would definetly try it.

That makes things look pretty good for me. I would assume that if i just connected my laptop to the same APN that my phone connects to for data service, that it should work. I'm just trying to get an idea of what all i'll have to do.

Back