• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A good free chess game?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Younglin

I'm looking for a good free chess game. I'm running xp on the machine I want this for. Whether online or against computer doesn't matter. Preferably 3D. Any suggestions?

I've seen this in my various search's and didn't like it. The terrible 2D graphics and layout make it almost unplayable to me. Thanks though.

Also I should mention I want a downloaded game. Not a browser game.

Doesn't XP come preinstalled with a chess game? Or was that only checkers?

I'm pretty sure XP does have a free chess game and it does have some 3D mode iirc. There's also one on microsoft zone, which I believe you can download. You're best bet really is to buy one.

Am I so old and nerdy.. That Battle Chess grail word, has to be written out? :rolleyes: One Chess rules them all... Online is not good enough. You need pretty graphix and not real folks to kick yer butt all over a teh grid..

In between me doing actual work. I grabbed a few rounds on this game... I had it down pat, the commands to get a game in during a 'working' lunch.

Last edited:
That game seems like it would take forever. Way to slow for me.

It actually plays much quicker than that in dosbox. The video seems to have been taken using a CPU-killer program in Windows 9x. If you do search for that game, don't do it at work. There's another version using the same 3D style where the pieces interact in NSFW ways rather than fighting.

Back