• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help with cable hack for PSU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bardos

Hi, I am the owner of a Corsair 520W HX power supply unit. I have an extra 5 cable connector with two sata connectors on it and I'd like to use it in another computer with a different power supply unit.

My objective is to splice a 4 pin molex to it, cutting off the 5 pin connector which normally plugs into a corsair modular unit.

What I do not know about this hack is how the 5 cables line up as to 3.3v 5v, 12v, and grounds.

Can any one give me some pointers about this Corsair cable? thanks

Looking at the modular PCB on this page (scroll down to 4th and 5th image), the cable goes 12v, Ground, Ground, 5v, and 3.3v. The cable only plugs into the unit one way, so whichever way it plugs in, the top (or left side depending on pcb orientation) will either be 12v (the way I listed it) or 3.3v (backwards of above listing).

3.3V is not used on a molex which is 12v, Ground, Ground, 5V (again depending on orientation of the connector).

If the cable follows the general rules, under the "mesh" sleeving, the 12V wire will be sleeved yellow, the 5V will be sleeved red, and of course ground will be black.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
I would also highly suggest investing in a DMM (digital multi-meter) if you don't already have one. This way you can double/triple check your work and make sure you don't fry anything.

My DMM has paid for itself many times over by keeping me from starting a small fire out of my PSU. ;)

I have the 4 pin molex down pat, no problem. The corsair psu itself is plugged into another computer, so I really would like to avoid opening it up and plugging in the cable and test the voltages. If I look at the images of the adapters

sat.jpg

I see it's possible. Just need to know what to splice.

I'm not sure I'm following you so please correct me if I'm wrong . You're taking a sata power cable, cutting off the end sata power connector, and putting a molex in its place?

You have two options:
a)Cut the sata power connect as close to the end of the chain as you can and get yourself a molex connector and pins and a molex crimp and attach the connector.
b) get a soldering iron, solder, and some heat shrink. cut the sata power and your molex connector, strip both and attach yellow to yellow, red to red, black to black, etc. The orange (if your PSU has it) isn't used on molex so just cut that off completely.

Hoped this helps. Sorry if it doesn't. :)

I don't believe that's what he means, although I'm not quite clear myself. I think that the image is meant to convey the end result? The earlier statement about 3.3v is accurate though, as it won't be part of your hack. Its usually yellow/black=12v and red/black=5v.

With the help of that image and others, I was able to correctly make the splice. Since the plug only works in one direction, it is easy to see the orientation of the cables and which slot is to be left empty. I imagine that it's the 3.3 v slot

Here is a photo of my splicing. nothing to see really. I just duplicated the wire configuration of one of the little converters that you buy.

splice.jpg

Looks pretty good. Probably could have used a molex crimper and redone the pins and made it look really nice, but if it works it works :). Not everyone is in it for the fashion.

Never heard of this tool. Just checked it out. They run 20-25 dollars US. Thanks. A bit expensive to look nice .

Back