• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Looking for a program with certain attributes.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Morrows

Hello there overclocker forum-goers.

Since I haven't been sorting all the sh** I've been downloading I've ended up with lots of rars. The problem is, I don't know which of these are extracted and which aren't. Since I've got over 3000 folders and 10000 files I really can't be bothered to check all of them. Coming down to it I'm wondering if any of you would happen to know a program, that detects rars in a given folder, and deletes them if they haven't been extracted.

To my next problem. The files I've extracted occasionally came with these "commercial" files. You know, where there is a shortcut to a website or a picture with the websites name. So wondering if you would happen to know a program where if I input a name it will delete files of the name in the given folder and sub-folders.

And to my last problem, which I imagine would be harder to find a solution for is that I have ended up with quite a few duplicates. the files are the same, yet they have different names. So again wondering if you would know a program that auto-deletes that kind. The files are pictures btw. So maybe it would be possible to detect if 2 pictures are the exact same.

Honestly, I wasn't sure if this was the right forum to post it and if it was the proper section of the forum. So I'd like to say sorry beforehand if I've made any mistakes :)

1. I don't see it happening without extracting the rar elsewhere and only then comparing the extracted folder with existing folder for size.

2. Windows XP Search can easily search for exact name inside folder+subfolders. The you can Select All the results and delete.

WinXPSearch.jpg

Windows Vista and Windows 7 Search Engine is a nightmare. This freeware search engine can be installed under Windows Vista/7 and replicate Windows XP Search Engine results: http://mythicsoft.com/page.aspx?type=agentransack&page=home

3. I don't know if there are free "image comparer" programs. The ones that do exist appear to be pay-for programs and I am not sure if they can actually search for duplicates or merely compare specified images.

To address your first and last issue:

First, use the windows search, using the options checked above, and search for *.rar. This will bring up all the rar files you have. Then select all the search results, right-click them, and choose the "Extract to *\" option appropriate for your archiving utilities shell extension (that's from 7zip's). If you have already extracted those archives, and they exist in the same directory as the archive with the same folder name as the archive, then you'll be prompted to overwrite the existing files.

You could then use Auslogics Duplicate File Finder to scan your drives and locate any duplicates. Make sure to check the Ignore file names and Ignore dates search options.

Thanks for the help guys. The search is awesome ^^ goodbye to over 2000 internet shortcuts. 900 small jpeg banners bye. And 800 .txt "notes from the uploader". Still trying the duplicate file finder. Gonna take a while for it to finish.
Any idea what to do with winrar?

Later:
I tried "extract to each seperate archive"
However that just made them extract into the same folder, with sub-folders for each extract.

Tried "extract here" but that also does the same.

Know any program where they simply extract to wherever they already are?
I won't do it manually for each friggin folder, because there's 554 rars with most of them just having a single part.

Thank you for all your help till now :)

Well yeah, open WinRAR and hold CTRL on keyboard while you select any number of rar files.

Then simply click on WinRAR's Extract To button and browse to wherever you want them extracted to. They will all extract to wherever you tell them to.

Well yeah, open WinRAR and hold CTRL on keyboard while you select any number of rar files.

Then simply click on WinRAR's Extract To button and browse to wherever you want them extracted to. They will all extract to wherever you tell them to.

I probably phrased it wrong.
Solved it anyway since I realized I was being an idiot.
Can search *.rar for each folder I want to extract. And then do it that way.

Back