• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED AVG created this virus - HELP!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

moondog99

Hello everyone, I'm new. ;)

I uninstalled AVG 2011 Free in favour of MS Essentials a couple of months ago and, although I spent the better part of two days uninstalling and removing it, one component persists - the Safe Search IE add-on. I realized through trial and error that it was the culprit that was significantly affecting my browser performance.

The problem is that when I disable it, it actually re-enables itself - with no apparent cause or pattern. I can't delete it, because the traditional add-on function is greyed out.

So, I tried to get rid of it by installing AVG without the component(s), uninstalling it and running the AVG removal tool. I have done this three separate times now, to no avail. Finally totally aggravated, I deleted the AVG folder containing the dll file to which the add-on points (yes, it still existed after the last uninstall/removal). Somehow though, it's still running.

I have tried using chrome, but prefer IE8. I have a reasonably new lenovo laptop running windows 7.

As the Beatles would say: Help Me!!! Please...:confused:

Last edited:
Hello everyone, I'm new. ;)

I uninstalled AVG 2011 Free in favour of MS Essentials a couple of months ago and, although I spent the better part of two days uninstalling and removing it, one component persists - the Safe Search IE add-on. I realized through trial and error that it was the culprit that was significantly affecting my browser performance.

The problem is that when I disable it, it actually re-enables itself - with no apparent cause or pattern. I can't delete it, because the traditional add-on function is greyed out.

So, I tried to get rid of it by installing AVG without the component(s), uninstalling it and running the AVG removal tool. I have done this three separate times now, to no avail. Finally totally aggravated, I deleted the AVG folder containing the dll file to which the add-on points (yes, it still existed after the last uninstall/removal). Somehow though, it's still running.

I have tried using chrome, but prefer IE8. I have a reasonably new lenovo laptop running windows 7.

As the Beatles would say: Help Me!!! Please...:confused:

go into IE add ons, and disable it there.

I'd try IE's built in 'reset' feature if you won't lose anything important. It's at the bottom of the advanced tab in internet options.

I'd try IE's built in 'reset' feature if you won't lose anything important. It's at the bottom of the advanced tab in internet options.

OK, I did that and the safe search add-on is still there, although it was disabled initially. it friggin re-enabled itself again.

This is seriously distressing.

1 - How does IE recognize the add-on when the actual dll file has been deleted?

2 - How do you delete add-ons when the add-on delete funtion is greyed out?

Please help.

SOLVED...I hope! :shock:

Finaly I fount a tool called 'System Repair Engineer' with which I was able to delete the add-on. I rebooted and it's still gone.

For now....:shrug:

I strongly recommend that no one EVER install AVG Free. It has been nothing but a complete nightmare.

Yeah, Avast and AVG both kinda suck lately.

Even if they didn't, there's no reason anyone should bother with anything except MSE anyway. It's good enough and stays out of the way.

Back