• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Cooling replacement for gtx 460?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rnldrc22

Hi!

I have one gtx 460 Cyclone 1 gb and its huge fan just stopped working. Somehow im able to keep an idle temp of 70C without any fan at all and in Sli. I would like to know what would be the best replacement for my gtx460's cooling system. I have looked at the Scythe Setsugen 2 (http://www.amazon.com/Scythe-Setsug...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1299271270&sr=8-1) But i dont know how good is it.. and i'm also wondering if the Icy Vision ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003U8BLJI/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=A1S9W9A986D3KF ) would be good.

What you guys think?

I need a kind of urgent answer... As its dangerous to keep running without cooling on my cyclone >_<

Thanks so much!

the problem would be that my power supply is also at the bottom of my case, i dont think it would fit.. my hawk barely got by.

You could just strap a 92mm or 120mm fan to the heatsink if you have room. That's the cheapest option, plus it would be a better fan giving you better cooling :D

You could just strap a 92mm or 120mm fan to the heatsink if you have room. That's the cheapest option, plus it would be a better fan giving you better cooling :D

haha thanks. I may do that if i didnt find any cooler. What about the ones i listed on my post, the Scythe or the Icy?

i dont know, could i? i mean to find a fan that fits the cyclone's heatsink is kinda hard i think. Do you guys know the size of the fan?

havent got any pics yet, i havent opened my case yet.. i just know that it stopped because of the huge noise it made the other day and the afterburner showing no RPM for my Cyclone :p

I just found out thats a 9cm fan. But let me ask you, wouldnt it be more troublesome to install just a fan than to install a whole new heatsink and fan all together? i mean, i got no experience in either case :p so what would be easier?

ive removed my gtx460 backlit cooler fan many times, its very easy, also check what if there is any wire standing in the way or some dust?

ive removed my gtx460 backlit cooler fan many times, its very easy, also check what if there is any wire standing in the way or some dust?

yeah, good thinking. Probably would make more sense to be a wire to cause the huge noise but its hard for me to think that because its the top card, all sides covered by the heatsink, the bottom has the other video card, the only possible way would be in front. I'll have a look today.

oh i just saw your card on google...
u should be able to find it, or strip that part off a normal fan or something...
also try using some oil(or that other thing idk what its called) on the dead fan, what if it worked? ive fixed my fans like that many times

havent got any pics yet, i havent opened my case yet.. i just know that it stopped because of the huge noise it made the other day and the afterburner showing no RPM for my Cyclone :p

I just found out thats a 9cm fan. But let me ask you, wouldnt it be more troublesome to install just a fan than to install a whole new heatsink and fan all together? i mean, i got no experience in either case :p so what would be easier?

Wait, haven't opened the case yet?:confused::confused:
Why not? That is the first thing to do. Find out whats up. :thup:

Had time to post and worry and look around on web sites. 'Shakes head'

lol its not a piece of cake for me to open my computer, so.. i assumed the worse. But it seems that it was the manufacturer's sticker from the other video card that was causing me problems. Now its normal.

thank you all though:clap:

Back