• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ready Boost

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Acidburn

Anyone use ready boost and actually notice any benefit from it?

I notice not one bit of difference in how my computer runs with or without it.

I'm pretty sure it's placebo duty for a USB stick not otherwise in use. I don't see how it could possibly make any improvement unless it were a USB3 stick with super fast NAND on it..

I notice not one bit of difference in how my computer runs with or without it.

The performance gain is supposedly noticeable on legacy machines w/low memory. Not really sure you're going to see a difference on the machines within this enthusiast community. :D

The performance gain is supposedly noticeable on legacy machines w/low memory. Not really sure you're going to see a difference on the machines within this enthusiast community. :D

seeing as it would only actually do anything if you were running out of memory being an extra cache.

I sort of figured that was the reason I don't notice anything. lol

Oh is that what it does...? Time to experiment with my dad's Pentium 4 with 512 MB of RAM :D ....... brb

Edit: Yes, we have Windows 7 on it for some odd reason.

Oh is that what it does...? Time to experiment with my dad's Pentium 4 with 512 MB of RAM :D ....... brb

Edit: Yes, we have Windows 7 on it for some odd reason.

do yourself a favor and throw at least another 512 in it ... if not an extra gig.

ready boost is a joke.

do yourself a favor and throw at least another 512 in it ... if not an extra gig.

ready boost is a joke.

Yeah, I see no difference with/without ready boost. :sly:

And no, I refuse to spend a cent on that machine lol :p It's only used by my dad to surf the web and watch movies filmed before I was born... don't need much power there!

Yeah, I see no difference with/without ready boost. :sly:

And no, I refuse to spend a cent on that machine lol :p It's only used by my dad to surf the web and watch movies filmed before I was born... don't need much power there!

what kinda ram is in it? ddr2 or ddr?

Readyboost is not extra system ram.

Readyboost is not extra system cache.

Readyboost is a means for the system to cache small portions of files to a faster access memory (as compared to slower access platter drives) to help speed up loading said files.

That being said, it can make a difference (albeit not really noticeable) if your the type that still has slow (compared to SSD) access platter drives and are constantly using/opening/accessing the same files over and over and over again (such as playing the same game all the time). Other then that, Readyboost will not speed up your system in any other fashion.

Readyboost is not extra system ram.

Readyboost is not extra system cache.

Readyboost is a means for the system to cache small portions of files to a faster access memory (as compared to slower access platter drives) to help speed up loading said files.

That being said, it can make a difference (albeit not really noticeable) if your the type that still has slow (compared to SSD) access platter drives and are constantly using/opening/accessing the same files over and over and over again (such as playing the same game all the time). Other then that, Readyboost will not speed up your system in any other fashion.

actually I understood what it was i just had it jumbled up in my head lol

but yeah I never noticed any difference in anything I do day to day even

With ready boost:
RED1.jpg
Without ready boost:
RED2.jpg
Though sometimes without it it can get to 1.2 gigs idle.

Back