• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Questions about reformatting Windows 7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

2484Stryker

Registered
Hi guys,

In an effort to resolve some Windows glitches and video playback issues, I've decided to reformat my computer. I've done this numerous times before, but this will be the first time with my current rig, and I have a few questions.

Currently, I have Windows 7 installed on my C:/ drive along with all my applications, and I realize that these will have to be reinstalled. However, all of my games are installed on a separate partition (D:/) on that same hdd. Below are my concerns:

1. How will I get the games back up and running after reformat? Won't their registry keys be deleted during the reformat, even if the game files are on D:/?
2. My Steam client, along with all my Steam games, are all installed on D:/, but again, how will I get Steam back up and running after wiping C:/?
3. My iTunes is installed on C:/, and I do have a back up of my mp3s, but will reinstalling iTunes after the reformat cause my iPod to not recognize my computer as the original rig? (iTunes won't let you sync your iPod to someone else's computer).

That's basically it. I'd appreciate any help regarding this matter. My worst nightmare after reformat would be to have to completely delete all my games on D:/ drive and then reinstall them; I don't even want to think about having to download all my Steam games again (or worse, to lose them permanently).

Thank you!

Have you tried a repair install yet?, that should leave everything intact, but its always possible some apps will need a reinstall.

everything is still gonna be there, just choose to install on the same partition and you'll be fine. Then you can just reinstall steam onto your D and it should see your games, I can't help you with itunes though.

Thanks guys, I was able to reformat and get Steam back up and running with no effort at all, but I did have to reinstall my non-Steam games since some of their required files were installed on C:/ and were wiped.

Actually had a similar question about backing up games on the hard drive where the OS does not reside on as well. I recently had to reinstall my OS, and it wiped out all of my Fallout 3 games + 50 mods and the same with Oblivion...:(

My question was that if i acquire a new hard drive, and install my OS on the original, along with my games and everything, and just back the game folders onto the second, non-OS Hard drive, i should be ok right? I will be ok if i reinstall the main games on the OS Hard Drive, and if i need to format the OS hdd in the future, after i install the games to the OS hdd, i can drop the folders from the second drive and be ok?

Does that make sense? Will that work?

Your saved games might be located in your documents folder which by default is on your system drive. can you copy the folders to D:\ then move them back after you reinstall the games.

I dont know joedymueller, but thats exactly what i intend to try. I am going to copy , in this case, the entire Fallout 3 folder (with all the mods installed), copy to drive D:, and then reformat C:, reinstall Fallout 3 on C:, copy the folder from D: over C:.

I will let you know how that works out...

Use Steam to backup your games, then use Steam again when you reinstall them and you'll be fine.

Don't forget to De authorize itunes. As long as you keep your music from being overwritten the new install of itunes will find it, when you reinstall itunes. Also check the box in preferences..."Keep itunes media organized"

and I don't know if its in your budget, but I always replace my HD and keep the old one as a spare until I am sure I saved everything. Peace of mind and depending on the size you need $50 to $70.

Last edited:
yeah, some saved games are located in C drive
some have other files kept in, and they are needed in order for the game to work
here is a list of where game files would be located
C:\Users\username\AppData, check the 3 folders there
C:\ProgramData
and my documents folder
some games however are stubborn and won't work even if you saved those files and you have to reinstall them...

Why are you so quick to reinstall windows? There's almost always a fix to the problem without having to do that. Although, there's nothing wrong at all with a fresh install.

Back