• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE AMD Radeon HD6990 Graphics Card Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It will be a while before a single GPU card can beat the HD6990.

Never said they would. I'm saying is that the 6990 uses to much power. I wouldn't mind running a dual GPU card along with a single GPU 6990 because I can actually handle that power but until then 2 6970's have more performance than a dual GPU 6990.

Last edited:
Thats what your post appeared to alluded to and subsequent post seemed to confirm but........MEH. :p

I dont understand this too much power thing. Do people acutally know how negligable your bill will go up by getting one of these cards? I wouldnt imagine $10 a month for a HEAVY gamer (many hours /day).

So you mean when they release the 6950?

I think you mean 6970. On everything but memory speed (texture units, stream processors, ROPs, clock speed, amount of RAM), this GPU is for all intents and purposes two 6970s strapped to the same PCB.

Yes, they do, but they also punch out more performance. While I would have to get a 1200 watt PSU to handle 2 6990's I do not feel comfortable of having a PSU over 1000 watts.

I think I was getting confused on what you meant by "power", I thought you were complaining about power consumption, then going with 2 HD6970. Performance wise, yeah, the 2 HD6970 should be better because the HD6990 is 2 lower clocked HD6970 cores with slower RAM.

I think I was getting confused on what you meant by "power", I thought you were complaining about power consumption, then going with 2 HD6970. Performance wise, yeah, the 2 HD6970 should be better because the HD6990 is 2 lower clocked HD6970 cores with slower RAM.

Only if you don't flip the BIOS switch is it lower clocked on the GPUs. I don't know anyone that comes to this forum that wouldn't flip the switch for the free performance (hence, I didn't test the artificially-hindered-for-TDP setting).

The only difference is memory clocks. Based on comparing my results with CF 6970 results at the bot, I'd be 3rd in Vantage and 06, so it's not much slower than two CF 6970's. Once I find something that has voltage control, I'll be trying to beat them both too. :p

Yikes! 550 GBP = 888 USD. That hurts worse than over here. :eek:

EDIT - That's including VAT. Without VAT is 458 GBP = 740 USD. A hundred bucks in taxes; that's gotta sting a bit.

Scan are know for their "premium prices", but its also a monopoly really because they get everything in stock quick and before other vendors, much better customer service to if you can take the extra cash.

oh yeah another example, retail chain "pc" world sells their asus hd5770s for 180 quid.

Hokie, Just one question, did you see any microstuttering when you were running games and Benchmarks? TJ

Not that I noticed really, with only the usual exceptions: Stalker did it a little bit, but it has done that consistently on every single card that I've used it on. AVP was silky smooth, Heaven choked up at the beginning like it always does (again, on every card) but after the single stutter it was smooth through the remainder of the 26 tests. Throughout the benchmarks it was totally smooth.

WOW, Thats good news, I'll wait a little while to see what non-reference cards will be available. 2 of these bad boys should suffice. Thanks TJ

I also want to be clear that's in reference to what I saw. I watched every bench at least one full pass, but on the repeat benches I was doing other things (like writing the before-results stuff on another PC in the room), so I didn't watch every single pass of every bench. What I saw though showed no abnormal stuttering.

Great, Do you think 2 6990's will hit 60,000 in Vantage with a i7 930 OC'ed to 4.4GHz or 4.5GHz?

Great, Do you think 2 6990's will hit 60,000 in Vantage with a i7 930 OC'ed to 4.4GHz or 4.5GHz?

I'd say no on that one. 950/1450 HD6970 4-way CFX reaches 58.3K with an i7 980x at 5.9GHz. Unless two HD6990 CFX scales a lot better than HD6970 4-way CFX.

The reason I asked is be for I upgrade, I've seen a i7 970 at 4.4GHz and 3 GTX 580's hit 60,000. So if 2 6990 would do the same I'd buy ATI this time around.

I bet that 60K score was with PhysX enabled. It takes 3 OC'd GTX580 and an i7 hex OC'd to over 5GHz to get close to 60K w/o PhysX. Since AMD doesn't have PhysX, I highly doubt you'll get 60K.

Last edited:
Back