• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Can someone recommend a modding starter kit? :)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well I saw the NES mod in the other thread shoving a mini-itx board into a NES case so I wanna give that a try first. Then probably go on bigger projects modding my main rig.

You live in Canada right? I bought this dremel kit from Canadian Tire and it works great and is SUPER cheap. I used it for cutting fan mesh on my case as well as CPU backplate access and a window mod. It comes with 35 pieces such as cutting discs, plastic cutter, polishers, sanding edges. Great value imo.

Hi guys, so I thought I should man up and do some modding but I need tools! So I've look around and found the Dremel 300 Series tool kit....

What do you guys think? Is this enough to get me started or are there better alternatives? Thanks in advance!

That's exactly what I have. It cuts through all kinds of things: metal, wood, and plastic. It cuts through my NES case with ease.

1-What kind of modding have you done before???
2-Do you have any tools or an idea of what your doing when it comes to build and designing stuff???

Haven't done any modding before... the price tag on the that Jobmate kit looks tempting. I'll have to take some time to have a closer look at the two kits to see if the Dremel is worth the extra $60. the thing is, I am thinking that I should just get something that works for now and go for more fancy stuff later on. what do you guys think?

Edit: I dont have any of the tools right now... only a knife that doesnt work

Haven't done any modding before... the price tag on the that Jobmate kit looks tempting. I'll have to take some time to have a closer look at the two kits to see if the Dremel is worth the extra $60. the thing is, I am thinking that I should just get something that works for now and go for more fancy stuff later on. what do you guys think?

Well start with something small and simple and I know we have a modding help section around here and then when you get the hang of things go from there.. If you have any problems just ask and we will help as much as possible..

TBH I used that Jobsite one from Canadian Tire for lots of things, it may not have the front attachment which may have proved useful but all parts are universal for that model so you could always just buy that one piece. I was in a similar position where I didn't want to spend to much money and the one I linked was perfect for that.

Back