• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need some advice on video editing.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

grs

I've never done any sort of video editing.
I've got a home video on DVD and I wish to edit it in Windows Movie Maker, how can I get the video off the DVD in a format that Windows Movie Maker will read?
I'm sure there are better programs than Windows Movie Maker, feel free to suggest other free programs.
I also have the original 8mm analogue tape from the Camcoder but nothing to play it on.

I would recommend using Vegas Pro 9. Its a very good software. As for the DVD format, there should be a program for free that convert a dvd format to an avi format.

Ya windows movie maker is really limited in terms of what kind of playback speed/blend/morph/fade effects you can do. There just isn't a whole lot. Even iMovie is infinitely more powerful. I agree with getting a 'cheap but effective' piece of software for editing. Ripping a DVD to AVI isn't hard. You can find the freeware on download.com in a few minutes.

This is straight home video on DVD in actual DVD format right? It's not like an MKV that a video camera recorded onto DVD right? That's even easier.

Back