• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS Crosshair IV Extreme power question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

2disbetter

So I put this board together last week, and because of the Corsair H70 didn't see that the power pin next to the chipset was 8 pin and not 4 pin. However there is a plastic piece covering the other 4 pins, does this just pop out?

Also I only plugged in a 4 pin power connector there and the thing boots no problem. However overclocking is a no go, so I'm immediately going to plug in the proper 8 pin 12v line there. (Doh! moment)

Just curious why the board even booted to begin with. I guess the 4 pin was able to provide enough power by itself.

The other question is their are 2 addition molex power connectors on the board, should they be plugged in, or can I just ignore them? I have more than enough connectors to plug them in so that is not an issue.

My setup is as follows:

ASUS Crosshair IV Extreme
Phenom II 1100T BE
8 gigs corsair DDR3 1333Mhz
EVGA 580 FTW Black Ops Edition
EVGA 285 FTW
Creative X-fi Titatanium Fatality Champion
ThermalTake Modular 1200w PSU

Thanks for any feedback, it's greatly appreciated.

2d

Thanks for the welcome and for the response. I've since plugged in the 2 moles connections.

However I wasnt able to plug the 8 pin connector in, as it wasn't long enough. Is this really a problem. The power should be eqauivalent as the 4 pin connector is off the 8 pin line from the PSU.

Anyone know for sure? Also is it ok to just leave the 4 pin as is since it seems to be working well?

2d

You don't need all pins unless you're extreme OCing.

So just to clarify, if I'm only going to over clock moderately it shouldn't be necessary? Sorry I just want to make sure before I fry something.

Edit: well just tried over clocking it to just 3.6ghz and it wouldn't so I guess I answered my own question.

Last edited:
Its not necessary but it may aid stability in overclocking. I would buy an extension for that extra 4 pin plug. You can get them for a few bucks I'm sure off the internet. Do a search for "P4/P8 12v extension cable". There's a place called "Cables for Less" or something like that which specializes in things of that nature.

Its not necessary but it may aid stability in overclocking. I would buy an extension for that extra 4 pin plug. You can get them for a few bucks I'm sure off the internet. Do a search for "P4/P8 12v extension cable". There's a place called "Cables for Less" or something like that which specializes in things of that nature.

I've bought something similar in the past from FRY's Electronics if you have one close to you. Places like Best Buy typically don't have one. You may even be able to get one from Radioshack. Although to be perfectly honest, Radioshack isn't what it used to be.

Back