• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need the right Power Supply

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sandman192

Need the right Power Supply for a computer I want to build.
The computer is going to be is: EVGA Classified SR-2 (Super Record 2) with 2 i-7 990X, 4 EVGA GeForce GTX 580 FTW Hydro Copper 2 and 7 Hard Drives and 1 Blue Ray.
And will the Thermaltake 650W Power Express handle both 2 Graphics card, if so I know I'll need to buy 2 of them.
Give me all Power Supply Suggesteds that will make this work.:burn:
:comp:

that board wont work with the 990x chips, you will need xeon chips with the dual qpi link. hope its not too late for you.

as for psu, and cant really help you there, but would suggest looking at the corsair ax1200 or antec hcp1200

Replace the 990x's with X5690s. Technically, you will need at least a 1500w PSU for that build, but I have seen the 1200w Antec HCP put out over 1600 watts. Probably not a good idea to do that consistently, though. Ideally you should have a case that supports two PSUs and just run two 1200s. It would be overkill, but you're already spending a buttload so what's a few hundred more dollars? You will need 2 15 amp circuits or one dedicated 20 amp to run both PSUs, too.

Need the right POWER here.

This is a dual processor motherboard and the 990X is a i7 LGA1366 CPU which the motherboard is and it runs the i7-980X I shore of that. Has any one doing there home work?:rolleyes:
I need to know if the Thermaltake Power Express 650W will handle 2 580 FTW video cards and then get another one for the other 2 video cards or will the 1500W will handle all 4 video cards power and 2 processor and hard drives.
I know the 1600W is longer then most power supply and I may get it to fit in the very custom desktop but is it enough for 2 i7 990X and 4 580 FTW and lets go for just 3 7200 rpms HDs.

Last edited:
This is a dual processor motherboard and the 990X is a i7 LGA1366 CPU which the motherboard is and it runs the i7-980X I shore of that. Has any one doing there home work?:rolleyes:

Power supply stuff aside...

THE i7 WILL NOT RUN IN MULTI-PROCESSOR MODE. On top of this, EVGA only lists Xeon models for the SR-2... being a 5520 chipset, NOT an X58/X58A chipset like your run-of-the-mill Core i7 runs with. An i7 MAY run, but they will never, ever, ever run in SMP mode... that is, two i7s at once is an impossibility by Intel's design spec.

Not sure why you're thinking they will. i7 = single LGA1366 solution. Single. They don't have the ability to run with another i7.

Xeon = multi-CPU solution. The only difference between the i7 990X and Xeon X5690 will be that the Xeon is SMP capable and supports ECC RAM. The i7 does neither.

Done your homework lately?

Hold your horses, man, folks are trying to keep you from making an inconvenient and potentially expensive mistake.

Power supply stuff aside...

THE i7 WILL NOT RUN IN MULTI-PROCESSOR MODE. On top of this, EVGA only lists Xeon models for the SR-2... being a 5520 chipset, NOT an X58/X58A chipset like your run-of-the-mill Core i7 runs with. An i7 MAY run, but they will never, ever, ever run in SMP mode... that is, two i7s at once is an impossibility by Intel's design spec.

Sorry I don't know why ether I looked at it wrong, thanks for clarifying that.:rain: I feel sheepish.

Sorry I don't know why ether I looked at it wrong, thanks for clarifying that.:rain: I feel sheepish.

No worries! Intel doesn't make these things clear to consumers sometimes, that's what forums like this are for. Better to feel sheepish than have to go another week or so while you send back CPUs that don't work! Folks here like to help.

As an aside, that's going to be one insanely bad--- machine!

1200W-1500W will definitely do the job. Anything else, and you'd start to need 20A circuits to plug them into! :D I think the Silverstone ST1500 would be a good place to start. No sense in cheaping out for a rig like that, right? :) It's a great Enhance-built unit, OklahomaWolf gave it near-top marks.

Back