• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

reinvent the wheel ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yeah, we've all done the "CPU pulls out of the socket with bent pins while trying to get the heat sink off thing". I've never tried it but they say heating the heatsink base with a hair dryer can help make the thermal paste release easier.

So where are you going from here? Was your intention to overclock this thing?

hi trent

we found the furturemark site .
i will download the 3DMark06 Advanced too a thumb drive, and the other two Prime95 and CoreTemp , will that be a good idea, then to Dan's PC.
tonight as soon as i hear from you ok .

thanks ,, this site is great we have been reading and learning.

yes , trent
daniel and i talked it over decided its the best way to learn the bios , is that correct ?

Correct. It will be very confusing at first but as you experiment with settings and then see the changes they make in performance parameters it will begin to make sense. CPU-z is such a wonderful tool because it lets you see with your eyes the changes in performance parameters that changes in bios settings make.

The first thing though, going back to your download inquiry, is to get those software tools installed on Dan's new PC (Prime95, CPU-z, CoreTemp and/or HWMonitor). Then we need to show you how to make screen shots of those programs' screen images and then attach them to your posts so we can look at them along with you. A picture is still worth a thousand words.

Now you need CPU-z. HWMonitor is optional. It serves the same purpose as CoreTemp but gives more info.

CPU-z 1.57

hi trent ,, do i change the AHCI , and internal graphics before we start ?

or just run it ,, then change them later to record the difference.

hi trent ,, do i change the AHCI , and internal graphics before we start ?

or just run it ,, then change them later to record the difference.

You can change the internal graphics mode before you start the computer but don't change the drive mode to AHCI until you edit the Windows registry or you won't be able to boot into Windows. In an earlier post I linked a web site that tells you how to edit the Windows registry to let the OS know that it will find an AHCI configured drive the next time you start the computer. Post #52.

ROG-CPU-z is fine. It's just got a more eye-catching skin to it, that's all.

Got CoreTemp yet?

We really won't be using 3DMark06. That's for benchmarking the GPU. We will focus on CPU performance and overclocking.

CPU-z will be used for monitoring changes in bios and reporting stats about the hardware. Prime95 makes the CPU cores work at virtually 100% and stresses the memory too. CoreTemp monitors the CPU core temps.

Last edited:
Yes got them all ,OK to late i paid for 3DMark06 , i then downloaded it ,, guess what you get malware for $9.95 "inbox.com inc."
let me understand this i buy something , and then i get malware for $9.95 , maybe there ought to be some warning ,, good thing i did not think it was a part of 3DMark06 , i also most opened it and run it,, but it got saved , now i need to track it down cookies and what ever trace there is.

ISSUE RESOLVED MY APOLOGIES

Last edited:
ok i got into bios , was able to disable the onboard graphics ,, that was easy ,, thank you very much one and all.
trent thank you for showing me how to read my user guide!!

now for the AHCI ,, Daniel and I used,, SATA Port5-Port6 [Native IDE]

So i'm thinking i need to change these to SATA P1-P2

I tried your link but this pc did not like it , so i tried it on our xp it did not like it ,, so i did a search and found the microsoft fix i saved on the xp i can load on a thumb drive.
are thoses the drivers ?

Look in your owner's manual. Does it tell you SATA ports 5-6 are IDE only? If not, it can be either SATA or IDE? Usually, it doesn't matter what physical SATA port you use on the motherboared. Why don't you just move the cable over to port 1 since this is your first hard drive - just to be neat and tidy. Then do the Microsoft fix thing in Windows. Then go back into bios and switch from IDE to ACHI. Do it in that order.

When you say you tried my link on the old XP machine and it didn't like it, do you mean the link was invalid or do you mean the instructions there were invalid? Could you send me the link to the Microsoft IDE to AHCI fix?

Last edited:
Yes got them all ,OK to late i paid for 3DMark06 , i then downloaded it ,, guess what you get malware for $9.95 "inbox.com inc."
let me understand this i buy something , and then i get malware for $9.95 , maybe there ought to be some warning ,, good thing i did not think it was a part of 3DMark06 , i also most opened it and run it,, but it got saved , now i need to track it down cookies and what ever trace there is.

you know 3dmark06 should have better sense , how rude can they be to a new customer , is the profit margin more important?

i mean think about it would you sell your friend something , with cockroaches. am i right to be disappointed:-/

Futuremark offers there newer products for sale but the older ones are free. I use 3DMark03 but I have a very dated video card.

Hi trents

finally got your name right. maybe i was a bit hasty with Furturemark, i got mail from one of the techs impressing me that their site does not have inbox.com as a side feature.
maybe it was one of the others, and i was not aware , but i sure think it appeared after i downloaded from their site.
but it is something to watch for. lesson learned.

i will look for the place that i found the mirosoft fix and send you the link.

yes they are native IDE,, satap5-p6

this is a edit to my post,,i sent this reply to FutureMark "FM_Jarnis" offical Rep.

i downloaded four overclocking tools last night , yours being the last ,, thus 3DMark06 at 11:01pm alaska time
EmailNotifierSetup 11:03 pm

the other three was before thus 8:22pm,,10:42pm,,10:16pm

EmailNotifiersetup came with FutureMark WHY????
inbox.com,inc is a tool bar set up.

so now i await the answer , i was not sure until i went to my dowloads and seen the download log times , they should not be sending malware

Last edited:
Day three , all is well not even a hiccup , I did a reset in the middle of a search just to see what would happen , shut it self off went to bios to reset and give me a choice go back or reload press enter it came right back up to desk top.

The most scary, dumb a$$ thing, I did building this PC , after learning to plug in the 8 pin so our DOA mobo would kick to life . my son and I after much laughter and smiling we hooked up everything to prepare our dry start out side the case, that begin a chain of events that give me a sick feeling knowing I screwed up, and calming myself to find a solution .
As I said, we installed the CPU and the factory supplied heat sink and fan clamped it down jumped the posts and bingo kicked to life , and stayed steady , jumped it off,, wait a couple minutes,, jumped it on , bingo running smooth.
OK we kicked off, pulled the 8pin 24 pin , and cable.
it was then did I decide to pull the the heat sink , humm stuck so I twist it a little pull a little and out pops the 955be CPU stuck to the heat sink, well I knew that was wrong
(the sick feeling I had), got it off gently laid it on and nope its messed up so I take a closer look and yea some pins are bent on the outside row at the corner near the clamp lever end, using my finger nail I try to straighten them.
By now my son is aware there is a problem his eyes feel like needles watching my every effort to save the build on SATURDAY NIGHT.
I laid the CPU in with a loving prayer, nope won't go , I look at the pins closely, try to adjust them one more time ,, I move the clamp lever back and forth, I lay it down, nope will not drop, I wiggle, con joule and sweet talk, I move the lever some more , finally it drops in.
I camp it down thanked god, the earth, and my son.
DAY THREE HOLDING STEADY , CHILDREN ARE HAPPY !

Glad to hear that your build is up and running Mike; and also that your kid is happy with his new PC.

On that little accident... From now on, don't just pull the heatsink up and away from the socket... Give it some very gentle twists before pulling it up; you will feel the heatsink "let go" of the chip and THEN you can pull it away.

xXSebaSXx

we have had some real fun with this PC , Daniel can see the grass and water in his Fable game, the Flight Sim. G5.5 is fast, he can host other players in dog fights , but his abilities is needing improvement. fun to watch and see the other players shoot each other out the sky.

the heat sink thing was a bit hairy to say the least , it not wanting to fall back in , gentle cajoling got us going again. I am reading the bios with much more confidence , not so hard ,, understanding what it does is another question.
i got four overclocking tools tools and we are ready to go,, Daniel sees the advantage he can have overclocking his PC and helping his friends overclock their PC.

trents has been a great help !!!!!!

So, where are we with the AHCI thing? Have you found that option in bios? I like to tie up loose ends. Just got home from a MS Excel training class connected with work and I'll be gone soon for other commitments until about 8:30 PM Pacific time.

Glad to hear your getting there mikealaska!

Just keep taking things in strides and never stop reading or asking questions :)

mikealaska said:
Daniel sees the advantage he can have overclocking his PC and helping his friends overclock their PC
This is a great thing as now Daniel and his friends can have parties where they can try new overclocks or even just for playing games. Share the knowledge and everyone has more fun :)

Back