• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

reinvent the wheel ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mikealaska

hi , i assembled this kit without any knowledge of buying or building a PC for my son . It was a great idea i hope, but now I feel like I'm standing in a barrel of S!!T, after reading all the reviews at newegg about the asua M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 with all the problems it has ,,, is there any fix that has been released ?
Am I better off sending it back and getting something else?
Can i expect any help from Asus ?

oh by now you probably guessed i'm not IT pc literate this is our first build.
I'm just a dad doing whats right for my 13 year old son, he does start a computer class next year as a freshman in high school , so i thought this would be a project for him to learn more about PC's overclocking (that fly's right over my head) , and
this new, Real Flight R/C simulator G5.5 , our old xp is not up to the task.

any help you can offer is very much appreciated.

my list :
asus 24x burner sata drw-24b3lt ,,dvd-cd
seagate barracuda 7200.12 st1000528as 1 TB,,
asus m4a89gtd pro/usb3
amd phenom ii x4 955 black edition deneb 3.2 ghz am3 125w quad core
crucial 4gb 2x2gb 240pinn ddr3 1333 (pc3 10600)dual channel
XFX P1-650X-CAG9 650W ATX12V 2.2 / ESP12V 2.91 SLI
xfx hd 577a-znfc radeon 5770 (juniper xt) 1gb 128-bit gdd5
zalman Z9 plus,, case
zalman CNPS9900 nt cpu cooler

Last edited:
So you say you assembled it. Does it work okay? Are you having any problems with it? I'm not clear on what you are asking help for. Overclocking? Keeping or returning the mobo? You refer to it as a "kit". Do you mean by that that all the components came as a packaged deal?

By the way, I think this is a great idea for a father/son activity, especially since cars have become way to complex for dads and sons to work together on them. My son and I started working on computers together back in the early 90s and he is now an IT professional. We started with little things like upgrading memory or a video card and then to assembling the entire system. And if your son can learn overclocking skills he will be able to do something most of his techie peers cannot. When I mention that I overclock computers to people they always say, "Overclocking, what's that?"

So, welcome to the forum. We will be glad to help you. We just need some clarification about your needs to start with.

Last edited:
Not to be rude but I am with trent on this one. . . what is your question?

Just a side note as well, Newegg reviews can't be trusted in my opinion. If you want information about something your best bet is to ask in the forums or visit any creditable testing site.

Newegg has the tendency of people screaming "it's crap" when it was user error in most of those cases. The other rare chances is a simple RMA due to a bad lot of parts (it happens).

NewEgg reviews can be helpful but you have to weed out the idiot reviews, of which there generally is no lack of. With NewEgg reviews, look for patterns. If a lot of people are reporting the same issues it probably is an issue. Its also important to only consider products where there are enough reviews to give some kind of decent data base to make good decisions from.

hi

i am sorry for not being clear ,, i ordered the list from newegg March 10 ,2011
our ups tracking has our package delivered March. 15.
My fear is a bad mobo , or or that has lots of problems my son and i can not figure out. Simple ones we can , but design flaws is over our head .
that is my question ,,
does this mobo have design flaws ?
if not that , is it something we can overcome with a bios update ?

i am looking at the Asus web site , what would i download from here ?

one more thing i do not understand is our CPU is,,
Phenom iix4 955,, HDZ955FBGMBOX 125W
The one's listed by Asus the support table for CPU/Motherboard
are :
955, HDZ955FBK4DGI I25W
955, HDZ955FBK4DGM125W
are these the same as mine ?

I will call them and look on newegg site , search the net for more information .

At first i thought just a few bad boards or bad reviews so i dug to the bottom the first reviews still the same ,, in hind site i should have paid more attention.
Cooler heads prevail , so i did a search for asus m4a89gtd pro/usb3 problems,, problem fix ,, all i got was people looking for answers nothing concrete about a repair .
nothing on the Asus site i can find.

what mobo would you suggest as a replacement ?
we have time , i'm in no hurry, i do think it is better to start with good intention , faith in the mobo.

NewEgg reviews can be helpful but you have to weed out the idiot reviews, of which there generally is no lack of. With NewEgg reviews, look for patterns. If a lot of people are reporting the same issues it probably is an issue. Its also important to only consider products where there are enough reviews to give some kind of decent data base to make good decisions from.

True, but generally I still don't trust Newegg when it comes to reviews. . . . that's just me.

Back to the OP:
After I did some digging there does appear to be a small span of time which the USB headers on the board are either faulty or the board was shorting out. I can't confirm either just what I have seen from Feb. until present.

It's possible it simply was a bad batch of boards or there is a more serious issue. I would say wait until you get the board and if it works then no worries, otherwise RMA it.

In terms of a "new" board choice. . . it really depends on what you need it for. Overclocking? On board graphics?

If you like the one you picked out you can always go with the FX counter part "M4A89TD PRO/USB3". I have been using that board with no complaints for a little while now.

thank you Bijiont

this build is for my 13 year old son our first ,
to be honest i lost my faith in Asus M4A89GTD PRO/USB3

This what i have to look forward too:
http://vip.asus.com/forum/topic.aspx?board_id=1&model=M4A89GTD+PRO/USB3&SLanguage=en-us

not very inspiring is it ?

our purpose was to build a expandable gaming pc , some that can grow as his experience grows.

but i really do not want to spend hours or days worrying about a boot up, crash's or bus problems.

oh my god what is asus thinking they are losing a customer .
i heard gigabite is good, msi, i will look at the FX , can you post a link ,,

thanks a bunch.

I agree with Biijiont, try the board and see if you have any problems. You know what problems to look for from the reviews so that should help. Motherboard problems can often be fixed by "flashing" the bios with a newer version of the bios (downloadable from Asus' web site) or newer drivers which are also files downloadable from Asus' website. For instance, I recently built a system for a friend and I could not get printers to work with it. The drives installed just fine and the scanner part of the multifunction printer worked just fine so there was some communication going on with the USB ports for this ASRock board. To make a long story short, it turned out to be a buggy USB 3.0 driver that allowed for communication with some types of USB devices but would not work correctly with the Windows print spooler. So, I downloaded and installed a newer USB 3.0 driver from ASRock's web site and the problem was fixed.

Concerning the confusion about CPU model numbers and compatibility with the motherboard, you should be fine. The one you bought I believe is the "boxed" version of the one listed as being compatible with the board by Asus. They come in either OEM (not with the retail box and cooler) or retail boxed with a cooler.

Just relax and take a deep breath.

If I were to criticize one item of the "kit" you purchased it would be the Zalman CPU cooler. I think you could have done better there. One of the key components of successful overclocking is good cooling. I would have recommended this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835207004

With the rebate, it's a fantastic value right now. The tall 120 mm fan-based coolers are the most efficient type.

my list :
asus 24x burner sata drw-24b3lt ,,dvd-cd
seagate barracuda 7200.12 st1000528as 1 TB,,
asus m4a89gtd pro/usb3
amd phenom ii x4 955 black edition deneb 3.2 ghz am3 125w quad core
crucial 4gb 2x2gb 240pinn ddr3 1333 (pc3 10600)dual channel
XFX P1-650X-CAG9 650W ATX12V 2.2 / ESP12V 2.91 SLI
xfx hd 577a-znfc radeon 5770 (juniper xt) 1gb 128-bit gdd5
zalman Z9 plus,, case
zalman CNPS9900 nt cpu cooler

I have that board and have had NO issues.
What I would recommend as your first time round:
Install the power supply into the case ~ then the mobo, CPU, RAM and DVD drive.
connect the monitor and see if you can boot to the BIOS.
Set the boot order to the DVD.

** If you can't boot to BIOS ...
Did you plug all your stuff to the board?
~ the PSU will have both the main 24 pin connection and the CPU will have an 8 pin.
~ the mobo comes with an ASUS power connection (you plug the power button/ LED / Reset...) and that plugs into the board (makes it easier for big handed people).

**If all is well, [look through the BIOS if you like] turn it off and add the HDD and other parts.
~ You didn't list it, but I'm assuming you have an OS.
~ If not, you can download Linux for free ~ though if your new to both building and to Linux, it may be a bit much.

Install the OS CD/DVD and boot it up ... if all goes well, you should get to the install screen.
If not, ... post the issue then.

** common issue I've noticed with friends and family is they go all out and connect everything on the first boot and then can't figure out what the issue is. :bang head
So by going minimal first, you can narrow down the issues.:thup:

thank you ,davarei

we got all of our parts yesterday, today i got the zalman case , i expect the PSU to come on friday . my OS is windows 7-64 , i got everything i hope . we are looking at a saturday start date.

i will follow your instructions about the Bios , do i update the bios at that time ? or do i need the OS installed ?
is there anything i can watch on you tube ?
thank you also , trents and Bijoints

thank you ,davarei

we got all of our parts yesterday, today i got the zalman case , i expect the PSU to come on friday . my OS is windows 7-64 , i got everything i hope . we are looking at a saturday start date.

i will follow your instructions about the Bios , do i update the bios at that time ? or do i need the OS installed ?
is there anything i can watch on you tube ?
thank you also , trents and Bijoints

Mike...

Here's a video tutorial on how to put your own computer together... The hardware may not be the same as what you bought, but the concepts/techniques apply nonetheless.

Part I

Part II

Watch those videos and then have a read through the very detailed instructions we have here at our very own site...

How to build a computer

As per your concerns regarding the motherboard and/or updating the BIOS. I suggest you do the basics first.

Get all the HW installed where it needs to go and then install your operating system. Chances are that if you did everything properly; your PC will boot up and function properly. Don't worry about updating BIOS or anything like that just yet.

If the PC boots fine and you can get into windows and continue installing drivers for the rest of your HW; you have pretty much succeeded in building your son a brand new custom PC.
Pat yourself on the back, hug your kid and rejoice in the knowledge that your kid will have a nice new pc to play with.

You only really need to worry about updating the BIOS if the one that the motherboard shipped with is too old or it's giving you any kind of problems. Like they say; if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it. But in the remote chance that you do need to update your BIOS; the process is quite simple actually. Go to the Asus site and look for your model motherboard... In the page for that particular model, you will find a Downloads section... Find the latest BIOS and download it to one of those portable USB pen drives. Once you have the new bios file saved; refer to your motherboard's manual and look for the section that covers the BIOS updating process. It will give you a step by step guide on how to get it done.

Hope this helps

Sebastian

hey ,, ok thanks , this is a newegg pc , all but the cooler i got for a bit less and better shipping to AK.
we have our table covered with a big cloth everything laid out ready to go.
i got the link back to "How To Build A Computer" @ Overclockers

Just a quick question ,, I have two mother boards to go with

1. Asus M4A89GTG PRO/USD3

2.MSI 790FX-GD70

Which one would this forum most likely go with ? Why?
Which one would be a good starter board for my 13 year old son ?
intended purpose Flight Simulator G5.5
basic high school 1ST. computer class

Mike, you might consider assembling the parts outside of the case first to check that everything works. That way, if something like the motherboard seems flaky you don't have to take it all apart again to RMA it.

When you go to put it in the case, one thing to really watch for is to make sure the little brass standoffs that screw into the motherboard case are all lining up withe the screw holes in the motherboard. One of the common mistakes beginners make is having a standoff misplaced and grounding out against the underside of the motherboard. Check that very carefully before you drop the board in and install the screws.

Another tip would be to install the memory, CPU and the CPU cooler on the motherboard before you put it in the case. It's just a lot easier that way as it gives you plenty of room to get your hands and fingers in the right place.

hey ,, ok thanks , this is a newegg pc , all but the cooler i got for a bit less and better shipping to AK.

2.MSI 790FX-GD70

Mike,

You received some great advice here, our guys are the best. Follow it. It's not as daunting a task as it may first appear. Mistakes can be made but that's why we are here.

2.MSI 790FX-GD70

Mike..

I'd say both boards are good choices. If it were me and I had to choose; I'd go with the Asus board.

Also, make sure when installing the memory modules that you push firmly on the ends so that the plastic keepers snap in place positively and catch the notches on the ends of the modules. Don't be afraid to push firmly, the motherboard is pretty tough. And push on the modules' pcb board ends, not on their heatsinks so you don't unseat the heatsinks.

As far as dropping the CPU in the socket, it will only go in one way because of the pin pattern. So compare the pin pattern on the underside of the CPU with that on the socket. There is also a small triangle in the corner of the CPU underside that matches a triangle on the socket corner that can be used as a guide.

hi

i am sorry for not being clear ,, i ordered the list from newegg March 10 ,2011
our ups tracking has our package delivered March. 15.

Refuse delivery / cancel order.

Then build a Sandybridge system for not a lot more and SMOKE what you had performance wise. AM3 is dead.

As far as dropping the CPU in the socket, it will only go in one way because of the pin pattern. So compare the pin pattern on the underside of the CPU with that on the socket. There is also a small triangle in the corner of the CPU underside that matches a triangle on the socket corner that can be used as a guide.

Also not to be rude but you definitely would want to read up on things like how to install a CPU, antistatic handling of parts, etc as well as comparing architechtures, or at least benchmarks and doing a cost to performance comparison before you ordered parts. It's easy to really screw some things up. Others not so much.

Honestly you could try to build a computer on shag carpet with a fleece tracksuit on and fry your mobo. There's stuff to know. :)

You want a P67 motherboard and a 2500K CPU. The CPU is $100 more than the one you had, but about 3 times the potential performance. For a 65ish % price increase that's not bad.

Last edited:
The CPU is $100 more than the one you had, but about 3 times the potential performance. For a 65ish % price increase that's not bad.

I doubt if there is a 300% increase in performance. Everybody knows that AMD has the best price/performance ratio. That's why many people go with AMD over Intel. AMD would not exist if that were not so. Mike is a family man who has to take these things into consideration. There's no need for Intel fan boy trash talk here. If you don't like AMD stay on the Intel CPU forum side.

Back