• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Overclockix Revived

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
For remote access, for the select few who are given access, you could do something like TeamViewer or NX to allow compressed graphical logins after you customize the environments

On that note, within the next month or so I am moving up to 50meg connection I could provide a mirror. I have *plenty* of space, allow my Desktop to link to my server, people could bang away on the desktop with an nfs share to the file server.

I really want to get involved in this even if its just providing like a git/svn or logon mirror

For remote access, for the select few who are given access, you could do something like TeamViewer or NX to allow compressed graphical logins after you customize the environments

On that note, within the next month or so I am moving up to 50meg connection I could provide a mirror. I have *plenty* of space, allow my Desktop to link to my server, people could bang away on the desktop with an nfs share to the file server.

I really want to get involved in this even if its just providing like a git/svn or logon mirror

i will certainly have to remember that and take you up on that. having a 50 Mb connection sure would be nice :drool: right now, i have set up a virtual machine that has a very basic debian install setup which i can open to some people for possible direct development.

good job mbentley, and grats on the green

sorry for the delay but i am uploading the newest iso files now which should have support for wireless (hopefully) :D i will be removing older versions from my server because i only have 4 GB of storage space allocated to my vps (it's free through work with unlimited bandwidth, so i can't complain). i'm going to have to see if i can find some of my old cd-rws to do some testing with on real hardware. so far i have only tested things in a virtual environment.

If it might be semi-workable, a frontpage story could be possible about the start of the project and testing needed.

We'll also need someone to do the graphical work on theming, so it might be a good opportunity to see if anyone is interested in doing some of that for us.

I booted the xfce version in a VM and so far everything is smooth... although it seems the phoronix suite is expecting to download its tests from debian.mbentley.net, which is unavailable ;)

Right now I'm burning the xfce and gnome versions to CD and will boot them on my lappy. Will let you know how it goes.

If it might be semi-workable, a frontpage story could be possible about the start of the project and testing needed.

We'll also need someone to do the graphical work on theming, so it might be a good opportunity to see if anyone is interested in doing some of that for us.

most definitely. i'll see if i can draft an article about the project. and yes, the biggest thing i need right now is people to test it on different systems to see if it works.

there is supposed to be a way of being able to simply dd the iso to a usb/flash device but a setting that was changed early on is preventing that so i will have to rebuild each one for that to work properly.
there is a simple way to do this. i just had to run the ISO files through isohybrid.pl (found in the syslinux-common debian package) which i am testing now. here are some instructions for putting the ISO files on a usb drive:
http://live.debian.net/manual/en/html/live-manual.html#copying-iso-hybrid-to-usb

i have added the the isohybrid.pl step to the build script and i will make some new images for testing.

Is - you can edit the /etc/apt/sources.list to not point to my mirror and then the test suite will work :)

Last edited:
just to add an update, i have updated all of the builds to .004 which added pcmciautils, updated all packages and added hybrid iso support which means that you can turn the iso file into a bootable usb drive. see the first post for instructions.

i have done some initial testing and wireless seems to be working for many of the standard wireless cards that do not require firmware to be loaded.

Do we need to clear any copyright issues with iNet over using images from this site. e.g. a version of the Overclockers.com logo?

if there are any more benchmarking/stress testing applications that anyone would like to see included, please let me know. i plan on adding mprime to the next build but i would like to add a few more.

if anyone can help with any of the items in the contributor section, that would be awesome. please let me know if you want to work on something so that who people aren't working on the same thing.

also, if there is anything you can think of that you could potentially help with that i haven't thought of (believe me, there is tons of stuff that needs to be done), post up. i want to get some more feedback from people.

3/22/11 - version .005
- added mprime (runs from command line, just type 'mprime')
- full system update to all three environments

i will upload the new .005 ISO files from work first thing tomorrow morning

Silly idea:

Could you have a version that has only the bare minimum, and some-how run a lot of the tools from the 'net?

i.e. you get a simple desktop environment, and then download the tools you want to use, like a 1-click download of mprime etc.

i don't see why not. this could definitely be a fork for someone else to work on. basically, it would need a custom interface and include scripts to automate the installation of any program that the user wanted (apt, wget a source tar, etc).

if someone wants to start writing an application/script to do this, please let me know. if you want, i can provide an ISO with a basic desktop environment from which you can work from.

Last edited:
another great project for someone else to work on would be the retrieving of all of the distributed computing scripts from the old overclockix distro and seeing what it would take to update them.

that wouldn't be too tough if you focused solely on PTS and folding. PTS already is a "install on demand" program, and there are already a few scripts floating around that will download, install, and configure FAH when you run them too.

i think that the scripts that Arkaine23 included had optional support to actually write temp data to a removable device so that data wouldn't be lost if you rebooted a live system. hopefully some of his techniques can be reused.

I could work on the scripts for the distributed computing. What all would we want? FAH, seti, rosetta, dimes? Just basically everything we have a team for?

I haven't taken a look at the cd yet but are you including cuda support (and wine?) for gpu folding?

Perhaps some boot time options we should build to make the running of these programs started automatically?

I could work on the scripts for the distributed computing. What all would we want? FAH, seti, rosetta, dimes? Just basically everything we have a team for?

I haven't taken a look at the cd yet but are you including cuda support (and wine?) for gpu folding?

Perhaps some boot time options we should build to make the running of these programs started automatically?

i'd be happy to include whatever scripts people are willing to maintain for whatever projects we have teams for. i have not currently included cuda support. i haven't folded since before gpu folding was possible so i am clueless in regards to that.

creating init scripts for each of the dc projects should be easy as i am guessing they already exist since for most projects. i'm not sure about starting them automatically though since you would basically need to be able to pass parameters to tell it what to start but i'd imagine it would be possible.

Back