• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Internet Explorer 9 RTM / Final Released

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well I must say it is pretty snappy. However speed is not everything.

The UI is a bit odd. And not very movable. And dunno if mine is just being weird but the very top bar part has nothing but the minimize/maxamize/close buttons on it. As opposed to the normal left side Program:page that most browsers put there.

And of course without something like Adblock Plus and NoScript it will not be replacing Firefox as my main browser. But I'm gonna fool around with it more in place of Opera as my 2nd browser that I use on my 2nd monitor.

Quick edit: Oh and it has the annoying habit of closing the browser when I go to close the last tab. Gah, have to find a way to fix that!

Update: Installed "Simple Adblock" (http://simple-adblock.com/faq/internet-explorer-9/) and have to say that it has almost the same, in the small time that I've used it, functionality that FF's Adblock Plus does. Uses the Easylist too so that is nice. Can't block custom images but for my purposes it's doing well.

Only other thing is the new tab window I like blank and by default it want's to open up a fav sites page. So I found a way in the options page to make it blank but the funny thing is that even when you have it set to a blank page it will still flash the fav sights page for a second and then blank it. Clearly it's hard coded to go to that page and the option only then replaces the page value with about:blank heh.

Last edited:
Quick edit: Oh and it has the annoying habit of closing the browser when I go to close the last tab. Gah, have to find a way to fix that!
FF does that as well, iirc.

No real point in me grabbing this...Opera has been my main browser for far too long.

on this site with IE9, when switching between pages, does IE9 give a white screen for a sec while it loads the new page? kinda annoying for me that it does that. maybe it's just my computer.

Well I must say it is pretty snappy. However speed is not everything.

The UI is a bit odd. And not very movable. And dunno if mine is just being weird but the very top bar part has nothing but the minimize/maxamize/close buttons on it. As opposed to the normal left side Program:page that most browsers put there.

Right click in the top bar and it gives you the options to add bars to make it look like IE8

FF does that as well, iirc.
It does but you can change that in about:config so it's not an issue. (Think it was silly of FF to set that up like that by default but whatever.) It is also not the default behavior in Opera.

I've yet to look around for a way to see if IE9 can be set not to do that.

Right click in the top bar and it gives you the options to add bars to make it look like IE8
Well I was never very thrilled with IE8's look either. I've got IE9 right now setup such that for what I have it doing it's fine. But again the lack of something in the left hand of the very top most bar is just a little odd for any app.

ie9top.jpg

Back