• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hyper 212+ or get new bracket for Ultra 120?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I don't know, I changed out my xp120/scythe fan HS for a Hyper212+ on my E6700 and the Hyper 212+ spanks it temp wise. Kinda sad since I've used all Themalright HS's for years.

But I couldn't justify the added expense on this system.

I don't know, I changed out my xp120/scythe fan HS for a Hyper212+ on my E6700 and the Hyper 212+ spanks it temp wise. Kinda sad since I've used all Themalright HS's for years.

But I couldn't justify the added expense on this system.

Yeah, in your case I'm not surprised. The XP120 was one of Thermalright's first heatpipe solutions, IIRC, and was good for it's day but it's day is done. The Ultra 120 is a different beast though and the TRUE design was directly developed from the Ultra 120 about 6 months or so after the U-120 came out. And Thermalright is still selling derivatives of the U-120 to this day, in the form of the Cogage True Spirit and the MUX-120.

Yeah, in your case I'm not surprised. The XP120 was one of Thermalright's first heatpipe solutions, IIRC, and was good for it's day but it's day is done. The Ultra 120 is a different beast though and the TRUE design was directly developed from the Ultra 120 about 6 months or so after the U-120 came out. And Thermalright is still selling derivatives of the U-120 to this day, in the form of the Cogage True Spirit and the MUX-120.

Strange, in my testing the Ultra 120 performed worse than my 212 I bought, but that could be due to the factory fan on the 212 which I left on . I'm guessing it's louder and flows more air then the Sflex i have on my Ultra 120.

I believe I have the extreme due to 8 pipes, but still it's not performing as I think it should be I hit 80C under full load on my SB at factory voltage.

I only have 1 sflex on the cooler, and one right behind it on the chassis pulling air out of the case.

What have others got on SB 2600k @ 4GHZ?

Cool Master just came out with the Hyper 212 EVO as well you could check out. They changed the way the heat pipes are designed for more efficient cooling. This is the model that I will be getting to overclock my old e7200.

Strange, in my testing the Ultra 120 performed worse than my 212 I bought, but that could be due to the factory fan on the 212 which I left on . I'm guessing it's louder and flows more air then the Sflex i have on my Ultra 120.

I believe I have the extreme due to 8 pipes, but still it's not performing as I think it should be I hit 80C under full load on my SB at factory voltage.

I only have 1 sflex on the cooler, and one right behind it on the chassis pulling air out of the case.

What have others got on SB 2600k @ 4GHZ?

You definitely have something wrong on the mount then. Your temps should be nowhere near that high at stock settings. I have my TRUE mounted on a 2600k setup a while ago and temps were much lower than that at 4.5. I presently have a copper TRUE mounted on a 2500k at 4.7 and Rosetta crunching temps run in the low 50's with a couple of S-Flex F fans mounted on it. I presently don't have my TRUE Rev. C mounted on anything right now.

Back