• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hyper 212+ or get new bracket for Ultra 120?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DumpALump

So I don't know if hyper 212+ is any better than the original ultra 120 (not extreme). From a couple of reviews I saw of the extreme it was ~2C better than original ultra. From my own testing it was 2-3C, so pretty close. Anyone know which is better and by how much?

I've been trying to find reviews, but they vary between extreme doing better to hyper 212+ doing better. Then there are reviews that use the stock fans that come with the coolers and of course that is not helpful since I'll be replacing the fan with a 1450 GT. I'm putting this on my gf's new i5 2400 (will pretty much be stock). I guess I just want to set her computer up as a quiet machine.

Currently she has a lapped Ultra 120 and the bracket will cost $9.50. I've seen plenty of deals pop up for the hyper 212+ for around $15-18, and at one point it was even going for $9 AR. If you were me, would you get the bracket today or wait for the next 212+ deal?

There is no need for this. The 2400 will not overclock as it has a locked multi and the tweakability of the bclock on most 1155 mobos is none or negligable.

The Ultra 120 will be better than the Hyper 212. We're talking about killing a fly with a cannon vs a machine gun. They're both completely unnecessary and you will be fine with the included stock Intel cooler. If you really have to go aftermarket for some reason I say get the bracket but it's pointless IMO :). I understand if you're just after the cool factor. If that's it then I say for sure the 120 as it looks cooler. The H212 is not sexy IMO...

There is no need for this. The 2400 will not overclock as it has a locked multi and the tweakability of the bclock on most 1155 mobos is none or negligable.

The Ultra 120 will be better than the Hyper 212. We're talking about killing a fly with a cannon vs a machine gun. They're both completely unnecessary and you will be fine with the included stock Intel cooler. If you really have to go aftermarket for some reason I say get the bracket but it's pointless IMO :). I understand if you're just after the cool factor. If that's it then I say for sure the 120 as it looks cooler. The H212 is not sexy IMO...

Thanks for the reply. I think I'll just go pickup a bracket then. Really I'm just trying to get her computer fairly quiet (same with mine). So the better the cooler, the slower I can run the fan speeds = quieter :D

Yeah, pick up a bracket and go with the Ultra 120. It's a better heatsink than the 212+. The Coolermaster isn't in the same class in cooling ability. It's an all right heatsink but not a performance leader. And like ocnoob said, with a 2400 it won't matter anyways because that proc can't overclock for beans.

Muddocktor, whats up with the 212+ then all the sudden? I had heard good reviews on it right up until I bought one. Here you mention the Ultra 120 but its showing as deactivated now and that leaves the U120extreme that doesn't look like it would be easy to attach a second fan to.

Anyway with the 212+ and a second stock fan what kind of performance gains are happening compared to the single fan? I plan to put this on a 955BE that I will run up to 3.8ghz for daily, I had a D-14 on it in the past and it kept me below 50C @ full load and 23C ambient. The D-14 is nice but is also a pain because of the RAM issue and I think I will sell if off if I can find a decent replacement for it on the 955BE since most of the hyper RAM come with god awful tall heat sinks on them. I'm not looking to bench with the 212+ in place I just want it for daily driving @ 3.8ghz and a second fan if it makes much of a difference.

Last edited:
I haven't finished writing up the review on the 212+ yet, but there are better choices out there for not too much more money. And like most other heatsinks designed like it, you only net a little gain in cooling going with 2 fans as compared to just one. The 212+ is quite thin compared to others, so it's gains are a bit marginal with 2 fans. As for the Ultra 120, I used to own one and had checked it's cooling ability compared to the TRUE when I upgraded to the TRUE. And it wasn't far off in performance.

A little note about the Ultra 120: if you want similar performance to it, look at the MUX120 or Cogage True Spirit.;) Very, very similar design.

Also, if you choose to go with an Asrock motherboard, there is no need to buy the extra bracket since Asrock has provided holes for LGA775 mountings as well + you save a few bucks on their boards as well.

Thanks MD, well I have the 212+ here now and UPS literally just dropped off my 955BE so its going together and I will just have to see what it does and go from there. If I have to drop the freq. down to keep it cool then I will do that.

Finished my first try with the 212+ with a single fan. I don't think its doing to bad for a single compared to the D-14. This is on fresh TIM and obviously its not going to hold with the D-14 especially at higher clocks I would imagine it would drop off where the D-14 can hold its ground. But at 1/3 the price and half the radiator area and only a single fan :shrug:

Fan at full speed on both, and the CM fan is no where near as quiet as the Noctua fans at full speed. Open air bench on both at about 23C.

Top results are D-14 with stock Dual Noctua fans @ 3.8ghz @ 1.356Vcore
Bottom results are 212+ with stock Single CM fan @ 3.8ghz @ 1.38Vcore

Attachments

• prime95.jpg
    prime95.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 794
  • 2121.jpg
    2121.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 807
That is not bad at all. I don't remember the volts for my old 965BE, but I think I was hitting 53C with my ultra 120. Of course I can't directly compare since ambients, case cooling, and cpu is all different.

I was about to say that the Hyper 212+ is crazy good. Then I looked up the fan speeds for both coolers. Hyper is 2000rpm and noctua is 1200rpm+1300rpm, quite a difference. Though for the cheap price its pretty sweet. I just looked up the noctua and it looks like one of the fans is over the ram slots. Couldn't you just move the fan up or bend the clips up or take them off then use some zipties/aluminum tape/bent paper clips/etc to hold the fan higher up? Or switch the fan from stock to a 120mm fan? If some of the fins are in the way, I'd probably just bend them a little out of the way.

Less noise + better cooling I'd say is worth a little modding :)

You can move the fan up or even put it in a pull/pull setup, but I may drop two different fans on the 212+ and see what it does.

I set the fan back to PWM mode and it keeps my cpu idling at [email protected] so the noise isn't bad. The fan makes a bit of a high pitch noise compared to the Noctua/Gentle Typhoon fans that just seem to be air noise when they are at full speed. I have a set of Gentle Typhoons I may try on it plus a set of the 120mm Noctua's to see which ones I like the most in dual fan.

I run the original TRUE (lapped) on my computer and recently built a very similar system as I have for a friend but with the 212+. I have the Propus 630 C2 and I put the Propus 640 C3 on the friends machine. Same case with both machines. Motherboard was a little different. I overclocked friends' to about the same level as mine but the Hyper 212+ gave cooler core temps than my lapped TRUE. Now I know there are plenty of variables with these things and it is kind of anecdotal but I must say I was quite impressed with th Hyper 212+.

Muddocktor, whats up with the 212+ then all the sudden? I had heard good reviews on it right up until I bought one. Here you mention the Ultra 120 but its showing as deactivated now and that leaves the U120extreme that doesn't look like it would be easy to attach a second fan to.

Nothing is up all of a sudden. The cooler was never terrific. It's just a top tier $30 cooler. Not top tier, period. Something like the Silver arrow or D14 would be a top tier overall air cooler and they're $80 or more.

What's big about the 212 is that it handles SB cpus well, and given that it's cheap, it's a great choice- but only for sandybridge. Or maybe an old core 2 Conroe or Wolfdale system that would also have low(er) heat output than, say, an overclocked Bloomfield.

The 212 is a good choice for someone building an 1155 system who wants an economical cooler that will get the job done and allow a good overclock.

If a user already has a higher-end cooler with an 1156/55 mount, that would be a better choice, although the 212 DOES cover the 2600K's thermal profile just fine.

I have read several thread praising the 212+ and not just with the SB or the C2D's. It's no big deal and it works fine with the 955BE that I have it on now. Just strange that a month ago it was "terrific" and what everyone wanted to recommend then all the sudden its not. I know it was NOT designed to replace the D-14 and I have two of those but it was being said it could hold its own against coolers in the mid price range.

I guess about all I can say about it is so far I am happy with how it is performing myself and it seems to do fine with my quad core.

Last edited:
What we recommend here depends on the budget, the hyper 212 is pretty untouchable in the $30 range (afaik), but the cogage true spirit is right there at $40 for a decent performance gain. TRUEs can also be had used for $35...which is a FANTASTIC deal, but they're starting to dry up, even used.

Hey guys,

I have a ULTRA 120 not sure if it's extreme but I think it is since it has 6 heat pipes, all the reviews I've seen have ultra 120 as a WORSE cooler than the 212+.

I'm building a 2600k machine right now and i'm trying to determine should I move the 120 to the 2600k or install the 212+ I just bought.

Here's the references.

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...aster-hyper-212-plus-cpu-cooler-review-9.html
http://www.maximumpc.com/article/reviews/cooler_master_hyper_212_plus

Whats your take is this truth or bs?

that link didn't work for me, but for SB you really don't need a beefy cooler...those reviews are both also pretty old.

Hey guys,

I have a ULTRA 120 not sure if it's extreme but I think it is since it has 6 heat pipes, all the reviews I've seen have ultra 120 as a WORSE cooler than the 212+.

I'm building a 2600k machine right now and i'm trying to determine should I move the 120 to the 2600k or install the 212+ I just bought.

Here's the references.

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...aster-hyper-212-plus-cpu-cooler-review-9.html
http://www.maximumpc.com/article/reviews/cooler_master_hyper_212_plus

Whats your take is this truth or bs?

The TRUE would be the much preferred choice for cooling, as it's simply a better heatsink. The 212+ isn't bad at all, and when you consider that you can get one delivered to your door for less than $30, it's a great bang/buck choice if you are on a limited cooling budget. I think that something was wrong with their testing at those links you posted because my testing of them shows the opposite.

Back