• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't get my sound working on ubuntu 10.10

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Younglin

My friend gave me her old computer and I decided to throw more ram in it, install ubuntu 10.10 and run it in synergy with my current XP rig. Everything has been going great so far. Synergy is up and working, although I still can't get it to run before I log in ( not a big deal though), and the system runs and looks great. Haven't used linux since ubuntu 7. something and I as quite pleased with how far it has come. BUT my sound isn't working. No additional drivers are needed, headphones work just fine, but I can't get the sound to work on my monitor. I'm using the speakers built into the monitor. I have a simple male-male audio cable connecting the comp and monitor but it just won't work. I tried it on the front and rear jacks on the computer, no dice. Any thoughts?

Could be quite a few things.
It would help to know what chip the audio is (e.g. AC97, etc)
In my experience if you have a digital audio out it will override the analog audio out. To check this open a terminal and type
$ alsamixer
run through the stuff turn them all up, unmute most of it. but mute any digital audio.
you might also use
$ pavucontrol
if it's using pulse audio; i'm on Mint10 and it seems to use either interchangeably, which is nice.
Also a hell and damnation.
literally last night i was having a daydream about a better type of VMhost in which you could set up multiple operating systems on different monitors and then use one mouse to seamlessly move from one to the other. Synergy basically does this. (and you could probably set a VM up on one machine as a synergy client too) Ahh well, time to get a new idea.

I was actually thinking about running a VM on the linux box and using synergy with it as well but I'm not sure if I would truly use it or what OS I'd do it with.

But thanks for the reply, when I enter $alsamixer into a terminal nothing happens, Same with $pavucontrol. It's using realtek onboard sound. Not sure what model or anything.

I was actually thinking about running a VM on the linux box and using synergy with it as well but I'm not sure if I would truly use it or what OS I'd do it with.

But thanks for the reply, when I enter $alsamixer into a terminal nothing happens, Same with $pavucontrol. It's using realtek onboard sound. Not sure what model or anything.

Just to clarify you don't put the $ on it. It's a reference to an xterm prompt with normal user privileges.
The # is used for commands that are run as root. You can see the change is you sudo su then lok at the prompt.

Realtek is typically AC97, and i have had some varying issues with it in the past. Though nothing really troublesome in the last few years, just things being muted.

truly odd that nothing runs.
Though i think i missed the obvious.
You said headphones work? Are they plugged into the same 3.5mm jack you're trying to get the monitor speakers to work on?
If so, then it's not a computer issues, but a problem with the speakers on the monitor.

That's what I have been thinking. I lent the monitor to my girlfriend for awhile and I think her little brother spilled something on it or something. It might just be dead. The image quality isn't that great any more either. Thanks for the help anyway. I'll buy a new monitor and some speakers next pay check.

Back