• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7 970 or 2600K?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I have another question. To get the most out of an OC, is it better to just have 3 x 2GB ram or 6 x 2 ram?

Right now I have 12GB of ram, but I'm just gaming and not encoding any more, so I can probably go down to 6GB if that will help me achieve a better OC.

Use the least number of sticks possible is the usual idea. 3x4GB is less stressful on the controller supposedly than 6x2

But 12gb is 12gb. With that much ram, you will undoubtedly need to add MCH/Vtt voltage to it.

Thanks. The new video cards will be in today and I'll dump 6GB and try to push the CPU. I have HT turned off anyways, so I should be able to hit 4.0 without much issue. I used to run 4.0 with HT on but that was on another MB.

I would hold on to what you have until the s2011 and Bulldozer hit. At a minimum that will trigger price drops on SB and 970 if you are still not satisfied w/ your current hardware.

Yes, Evil. I currently have an i7-940 running at about 3.4 Ghz with HT off atm.

I just have to find the time to OC it more.

I got my 2 x 580s the other day and have them up to 900/1800/2025 @ 1.1

I'm getting issues when I push it more. I've even raised voltage to 1.15. I think the issue may be that I pushed the memory a bit much. I raised it to 2035 and tried 950/1900/2035 @ 1.15 and Crysis demo has issues towards the end of the 2nd run.

I'm probably going to just keep it. I'm trying not to go overboard with spending. I spent about $660 on 2 x 120 Hz monitors and another $825 on a couple of 580s.

He's on a C0, so 4ghz may be somewhat trickier then y'all are thinking.

Personally I'd keep what you have, the gaming performance difference is going to be small, and the placed it isn't small it'll be the difference between 150fps and 200fps, who cares?

So true, This forum gets you all excited with the wonderful high benchmarks, but for gaming, a lot of the time, it's just overkill. It took me a long time and a lot of dollars to realize that.

I still sometimes, ok, a lot of the times get the itch to buy some of the really cool new stuff out there.

i wasnt thinking of having him go for 4ghz but 3.6ghz or 3.8 should be doable. not sure what your cooling setup is like lukee...

I used to have a custom WC loop, but decided to ditch that and just get a H50 to see how it worked. It's been fine at the clock speed that I have my CPU at.

If you're happy where it's at leave it. Otherwise I find 3.6ghz to be somewhat of a sweet spot for me. High enough to make sure I've always got enough juice for whatever I'm doing, but low enough (voltage wise as well) to keep the temps (and therefore noise) down as well. If you can, aim for 3.6ghz, it's a nice spot to sit on.

But again, if you're happy with it as is, leave it and wait til down the track to upgrade it all when it's more of a viable option.

Back