• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7 970 or 2600K?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lukee

I just recently bought 2 x 580s to run my surround gaming machine. I'm running a 940 atm. I'm figuring that the CPU which is only running at 3.4Ghz is a bottleneck.

When I decide to upgrade(probably not for at least a few months), would it be better to get the i7 970x or the 2600K? In the meantime, I'll try to OC the CPU a bit more.

I know Sandy Bridge's can OC like champs, but it will probably end up costing $500 - 600 to get a new CPU/Board and memory(if I need it). The i7 970 is going for just under $600 and is 6 cores.

So, cost is about the same. I mostly just game on here, but could possibly do some photoshop as well.

SB all the way... Even if it is only 4 true cores; it is still way more efficient than the 970. And you would only need cpu/motherboard... The ram you have now should work on the SB setup; just use two sticks instead of three... Chances are the ram will be compatible, but without knowing what ram you currently have it would be a guessing game.

I suggest you update this thread with your current configuration and the HW you want to get...

Right now my config is the following

-i7 940 @ 3.4 Ghz
-EVGA Classified 3 Mobo
-Mushkin Callisto 240 GB SSD
-2 x 750 GB WD WD 7200 HD
-1 DVD/RW
-12 GB (6 x 2 GB OCZ Gold 1600 MHz memory Cas 8(I think) 1.65 v)
-Corsair HX 1200 PSU
-3 x 470GTX gigabyte Super Overclocked Video cards. (the 2 x 580s will be arriving the beginning of next week)
-3 x Acer 3D 120 Hz monitor in surround (5760 x 1080) I usually just run this in 2D @ 120 Hz for now.

Oh, I guess maybe even the 2500K might be an option as well.

Last edited:
Personally I would wait for the lga 2011 cpus. Otherwise Sandy Bridge has been proven to be the better architecture therefore 2600K would be my choice.

Go for i7 970 if you plan to contribute to folding@home, and 're-use' your mobo.
If go with SB route, you need new mobo, new RAM because it uses dual-channel -- so if you want to 're-use' your RAM, you can have only 8GB.

Seeing that is your setup and you dont bench, I will actually agree with the wait until s2011 comment.

Also what is Corsair HX 1200?

Go for i7 970 if you plan to contribute to folding@home, and 're-use' your mobo.
If go with SB route, you need new mobo, new RAM because it uses dual-channel -- so if you want to 're-use' your RAM, you can have only 8GB.

The ram he has is fine with the setup.. It will only take two sticks out of the three he has, but SB with 4GB is faster than 940 with 6GB anyway.

Now that I think of it... LGA2011 is coming too and your system is nice enough as it is. If you can wait it out; I say give LGA2011 a chance; the problem there is that since you mentioned that you had a $700 amount in mind; I don't know that that will be enough for LGS2011 anyway.

The ram he has is fine with the setup.. It will only take two sticks out of the three he has, but SB with 4GB is faster than 940 with 6GB anyway.

Now that I think of it... LGA2011 is coming too and your system is nice enough as it is. If you can wait it out; I say give LGA2011 a chance; the problem there is that since you mentioned that you had a $700 amount in mind; I don't know that that will be enough for LGS2011 anyway.

If LGA2011 is coming out at the end of the year or beginning of next year, then I'll be able to allocate more money to it. The $500 - $600 was for buying something from now until June or July.

It would suck if the new chips don't OC as well as Sandy bridges.

The 970 is a fun cpu, you know you are going to buy a new pc later anyways.. its only 600 bux :)

Code:
 Project ID: 2692
 Core: GRO-A5
 Credit: 8955
 Frames: 100

Name: 970
 Path: D:\FAH6.30-win32-SMP\
 Number of Frames Observed: 54

Min. Time / Frame : 00:21:14 - 62,944.8 PPD
 Avg. Time / Frame : 00:21:27 - 61,993.5 PPD
 Cur. Time / Frame : 00:21:17 - 62,291.6 PPD
 R3F. Time / Frame : 00:21:26 - 61,757.0 PPD
 All  Time / Frame : 00:21:27 - 61,698.0 PPD
 Eff. Time / Frame : 00:21:49 - 60,426.2 PPD

I have another question. To get the most out of an OC, is it better to just have 3 x 2GB ram or 6 x 2 ram?

Right now I have 12GB of ram, but I'm just gaming and not encoding any more, so I can probably go down to 6GB if that will help me achieve a better OC.

I have another question. To get the most out of an OC, is it better to just have 3 x 2GB ram or 6 x 2 ram?

Right now I have 12GB of ram, but I'm just gaming and not encoding any more, so I can probably go down to 6GB if that will help me achieve a better OC.

The more ram you have, the more demand you put on the memory controller... If you are just gaming, and you are trying for a higher OC, then sure it wouldn't hurt your system to have less ram. I feel weird for advising someone that less is more. :-/

I cannot wait for this either! I cannot even begin to think of what the top end extreme cpu will be :O

I hope they make our current monsters worthy of htpc dutys :D

But honestly.. I just bought all this crap, Ill probably just wait for the next stepping of the new stuff, but if it rapes SB, then I probably wont wait and sell it all for less then half of what I paid :attn:

:D

hmmm... I have contemplated this route as well.. except I have a 920 ... LOL.. just mild OC 3.8Ghz ... :)...

I think I want to build a SB box tho....

Stick with what you got and work on a 4ghz OC. It'll push your cards a little better.. 6GB should be fine for just gaming sure. Drop the extra 6 for easier OC =D

Back