• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GPU Bios Flashing Slave/Master

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PeterPwned

Hi,

trying to flash a pre-OC bios onto my dual-GPU card, but atiflash will only let me flash the master bios to GPU 0. When I attempt to flash the slave bios to GPU 1 then it tells me my new Bios has no version (New BIOS Version: BLANK), which means according to other forums that my flash was unsuccessful.

Now my question is how do I figure out what it is that is wrong with the slave bios I downloaded and whether I can easily modify the master bios using RBE (radeon bios editor) to suit my slave bios?

Thanks in advance,
Mark

Are you sure GPU 0 is the master? As I understand it some 5970 has the numbering inverted.

Alternatively, have you tried with some other slave BIOS?

Based on a cursory look at the master and slave BIOSes of my 5970 (which happens to have a AC Accelero Extreme 5970 on it:)) in RBE I don't think modifying the master BIOS into a slave BIOS is all that easy. Comparing the HEX dumps it seems the slave BIOS is quite significantly different.

Are you sure GPU 0 is the master? As I understand it some 5970 has the numbering inverted.

Alternatively, have you tried with some other slave BIOS?

Based on a cursory look at the master and slave BIOSes of my 5970 (which happens to have a AC Accelero Extreme 5970 on it:)) in RBE I don't think modifying the master BIOS into a slave BIOS is all that easy. Comparing the HEX dumps it seems the slave BIOS is quite significantly different.

Inverted? Could be, but I thought if that was the case the atiflash tool could be used for clarification. If I type the DOS Command "atiflash -i" it tells me which gpu is which and based on that I flashed over the bios.

Hmm I haven't tried with another slave BIOS, but if I modify the clocks and voltages of my factory slave bios to match those of the overclocked master bios do you think that would work? It is just that I think the slave bios controls the second gpu on my card, meaning if the second one runs at lower clocks than my first one that will cause CCC to downclock GPU1 to GPU2 levels.

AC Extreme all the way :attn: Looks nice and keeps the card cool!

Do you maybe know any alternative pre-OC bios sites. All I am finding over the net are these and copies of the links in this thread:
http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=185918

Inverted? Could be, but I thought if that was the case the atiflash tool could be used for clarification. If I type the DOS Command "atiflash -i" it tells me which gpu is which and based on that I flashed over the bios.
Well, then it should be right.

Hmm I haven't tried with another slave BIOS, but if I modify the clocks and voltages of my factory slave bios to match those of the overclocked master bios do you think that would work? It is just that I think the slave bios controls the second gpu on my card, meaning if the second one runs at lower clocks than my first one that will cause CCC to downclock GPU1 to GPU2 levels.
I suppose this would work. Honestly I didn't bother downloading any Pre-OC BIOSes at all. I just edited the ones on the card with RBE. Beyond figuring out power play it wasn't all that difficult.
AC Extreme all the way :attn: Looks nice and keeps the card cool!
And quiet.
Do you maybe know any alternative pre-OC bios sites. All I am finding over the net are these and copies of the links in this thread:
No I don't. Techpowerup has a big VGA BIOS library but they are stock.

I'd really like to try that, but overnight the GPU has apparently decided not to give me any image anymore, not even BIOS. What can I do now? I just want my old system back, its better than if nothing works at all. I have an 8800 GTX and a 9800 GTX lying around. Can I install one of these in order to flash the 5970? If yes then in which PCIe lane do I need to install it and what do I need to do to restore my old bioses. Once I can POST again I can also try flashing the modded bioses I just made in RBE.

I'd really like to try that, but overnight the GPU has apparently decided not to give me any image anymore, not even BIOS. What can I do now? I just want my old system back, its better than if nothing works at all. I have an 8800 GTX and a 9800 GTX lying around. Can I install one of these in order to flash the 5970? If yes then in which PCIe lane do I need to install it and what do I need to do to restore my old bioses. Once I can POST again I can also try flashing the modded bioses I just made in RBE.
Yes, you should be able to put in another graphics card and then use it to boot so that you can flash the 5970 back to original BIOS. In theory you should be able to put the card in any PCIe slot and the motherboard BIOS is supposed to figure out which card is primary. In practice it usually doesn't work that well and you need to put the primary card in a specific slot. There should be mentions of which one it is in your motherboard manual.

Yes, you should be able to put in another graphics card and then use it to boot so that you can flash the 5970 back to original BIOS. In theory you should be able to put the card in any PCIe slot and the motherboard BIOS is supposed to figure out which card is primary. In practice it usually doesn't work that well and you need to put the primary card in a specific slot. There should be mentions of which one it is in your motherboard manual.

Okay I edited the original VBIOSes in RBE and was able to successfully flash them to the 5970. The problem now is that the AMD drivers somehow don't work with the card. I can start in safe mode i.e. without graphic drivers. If I use driver cleaner to remove all gpu drivers I can also run normal windows 7, but then if I try to reinstall AMD 11.2 drivers and restart as required by the setup, I get a "bad pool caller" BSOD upon restart and can't log into windows, although safe mode still works. Do you think an older and if then what version of AMD drivers will accept my bios?

it didnt matter to me as what slot i put card in

i had same problems

delete drivers first

choose bios

overclocked ones

normal

http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/...ufacturer=&model=HD+5970&interface=&memSize=0

atiflash -i for info on slave ect and you can pick what card you actually want flashing as you are uesing spare card

atiflash -p -f (master / slave number) (name of rom.)

atiflash -p -f 0 s.rom

if it does not work and you cant load drivers re do it again took me 2 attempts then all was ok and flashed ohhh to many to remember :)

Back