• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Homefront

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

freeagent

Have you guys ever seen this game?

Ive only had it on for 5 minutes..

Who thinks of this stuff??

Think it could happen like that.. ?

I don't think we will be taken over by North Korea.

I've seen enough of the reviews regarding the 4-5 hour single player and the poorly planned/derivative multiplayer that I don't need to purchase it.

I dont own it, but Ive played at my buddys. Looks awesome, cant wait to get it. Along with BF3 :D.

I didnt get a chance to play it today, just the little bit this morning. From what I saw its pretty crazy man. Im with Douken on this so far. I had to leave shortly after that kids parents was executed in front of him. Tommorow I will play for a bit :)

I've read some reviews about this game, and they're mixed for sure, but I'm gonna give it a try. And I sometimes play on my PS3 and sometimes the PC. Got a plenty good PC, but sometimes i find better games on the PS3-imo-because sometimes the admin based server games go a little overboard with all their unique rules about which weapons can be used or what words one can say etc. There are so many scrolling words of warning that it distracts me too much from the game--for me. I realize some people like all that, and that's totally OK. Go for it. But what will i find on multiplayer dedicated servers? If its gonna be like that I might just go for the PS3. But I prefer the playability of the mouse and keyboard if possible. Any advice on that?
Thanks

...sometimes the admin based server games go a little overboard with all their unique rules about which weapons can be used or what words one can say etc..

..Any advice on that?

search for servers that allow all weapons, and try and control your swearing on other peoples servers where there might be children playing/in the same room as someone who is playing?

i've never ever had a problem with my language in an online game. no one has ever complained. it's really not that difficult.

search for servers that allow all weapons, and try and control your swearing on other peoples servers where there might be children playing/in the same room as someone who is playing?

i've never ever had a problem with my language in an online game. no one has ever complained. it's really not that difficult.

You know I think maybe I'm not explaining myself well enough. Its not that any of these rules prevent me from playing OK?--its not that "I" need to swear or anything, but sometimes others do. And if that's what they want--then I want them to. That's what I'm saying. I live in the USA, and we're always fighting wars and killing people for real--just like now--often we "say" its so they can be "free". And what does freedom of speech mean? Well to me it means having the right to say anything I want and use any and all bad language if I want. And for parents that feel its necessary to have their children not hear certain words, then I'm fine with that, its just that they need to "control" what their children see and hear. Its not up to the rest of society to guess how each particular parent thinks regarding what their child should or shoudn't hear etc/its up to the parent to do that. Mostly the internet is a "free" place--so far anyway and when I see people try to take away that freedom in the name of "good" its not my idea of a good direction to go. Sometimes people get mad in on line games, not so much me, or want to complain or whine, or whatever, and its not allowed by some 'admins'. As I said they have all these "scrolling console rules and threats filling the screen--which to me is distracting and because of it I don't choose to play there. I'm not saying they don't have the right to. They can for sure. Its just that I dont' see any of that on the PS3--none/no rules/no scrolling "commands and threats from console etc" and like I said for "me" that makes the game so much better. By the way plenty of the little kids playing on PS3 are screaming more bad words than you and I even know. If you're a parent "wise-up". On PS3 if people say things I don't want to hear--and they do sometimes--I can choose to "mute" them--if I want. And people can use whatever "annoying" weapons they want--they can even use tubes if they choose--I myself am not a tuber/ OK?/ but others are and I like them to play however they want . That's all I'm saying. And as of now there's like total freedom on the PS3--and to "me" that's something I admire. Freedom means letting other people do things we don't like and say words we don't like and similar. If you're not having to adjust to the annoying habits of others then you're not living in a free world.

Of course there are restrictions on freedom when others can be harmed by what we say or do--we've got thousands of laws here in the USA. And for sure most are needed--not always, and of course laws change from generation to generation. But good examples of limiting freedom of speech are when for instance someone falsely yells fire in a crowded theatre or such and causes a stampede and people get killed or injured, we dont' have the freedom to steal from others, or run them over with our cars. When we "really" need to give up a freedom for the benefit of all then we do it. But people using profane language does not hurt anyone, and I've seen "racist people" in games that at some point I could no longer ignore because it was so crappy to hear all that silly hatred that I would just leave and go to another game or mute them etc. And that's how one deals with it-we just remove ourselves from that which so offends us. We don't try to control what the world says.

If we don't allow haters and racists to express themselves does that mean there is no racism and hatred? No. It just means we "think" it doesn't exist. We're better off knowing what people think and feel, than living in a pretend world and not dealing with our problems accordingly.

Sorry so long/ not a fan of "censorship".

But my point is that I appreciate PC game servers more when they limit themselves to running Punkbuster etc, and then just letting things happen for good or bad. Really annoying people will leave the game eventually or if not--then players can switch to another server--its not forever--just make the adjustment. I much prefer my PC/mouse/keyboard but way too much censorship in the name of "how its suppose to be" causes me to often move from server to server. There are some admins that "limit their super powers" and I search them out haha. By the way I don't think I've ever been kicked or banned--I try hard to get along--except once I did get banned for typing that I didn't like all their "so many" console rules regarding whining/swearing/tubers/etc . So he banned me---Ha Ha.

I hope Overclockers doesn't ban me for this lengthy editorial/sorry.

ALmost bought today-- so consensus is story too short dont buy it?? Is that where we're at?

I just started playing Homefront single player today. And many criticized how short the single player campaign is? Well I wish it were shorter haha. To me--the controls seem kinda antique. Its like one has to always wait for "the special" teamate to "go first" etc. And if one trys to go through a door or? climb a ladder or? etc mostly we have to wait until last. Its all just kinda weird to me. And they use keys like the E key for lots of stuff where most of us are accustomed to just going forward and looking up to climb a ladder etc. Well that won't work in Homefront. You have to stop and use the E key, and almost wait for it to tell you so!! Its a really beautiful game graphically speaking and I like the story etc. But I think its miserable playing the single player. Especially after coming from a modern game like Crysis2 or any of the BlackOps types games. Its just really awkward to move and all--i think.

I hope the multi is better. And I hate to be so critical of so much work and great graphics/art etc, but I don't think it plays like a modern single player. Not to me. If you've played games like Battlefied Bad Company2 etc--this Homefront is shockingly like from another century as far as smooth play goes. Sorry to be so hard on so much work, but to me its just clunky controls and great graphics.

But buying it is up to you. You might not feel as strongly about the playability as me.

And for parents that feel its necessary to have their children not hear certain words, then I'm fine with that, its just that they need to "control" what their children see and hear. Its not up to the rest of society to guess how each particular parent thinks regarding what their child should or shoudn't hear etc/its up to the parent to do that.
the servers you are ranting about are a perfect example of parents controlling what their kids hear.

if i had kids, and they liked to play games, and i create a server for them and their friends to play on, and i restrict the language, I AM taking control of what they hear.

without rules, simply hoping that no one swears or uses hateful/racist language on the server is hoping that the "rest of society" knows how to speak around my children. the people who set up servers with language restrictions don't trust you and me to behave/speak properly around their kids, and for good reason.

i swear more than a sailor IRL. that doesn't mean that i do it in line at the supermarket where there could be children around, or even adults who don't enjoy that language, simply because i have the right to.

the servers you are ranting about are a perfect example of parents controlling what their kids hear.

if i had kids, and they liked to play games, and i create a server for them and their friends to play on, and i restrict the language, I AM taking control of what they hear.

without rules, simply hoping that no one swears or uses hateful/racist language on the server is hoping that the "rest of society" knows how to speak around my children. the people who set up servers with language restrictions don't trust you and me to behave/speak properly around their kids, and for good reason.

i swear more than a sailor IRL. that doesn't mean that i do it in line at the supermarket where there could be children around, or even adults who don't enjoy that language, simply because i have the right to.

I'm sorry you think I'm ranting. I'm just trying to explain my position. That's all. I respect your opinion and right to speak. I hope you do the same with me and others. I stand by what I said.

I'm sorry you think I'm ranting. I'm just trying to explain my position. That's all. I respect your opinion and right to speak. I hope you do the same with me and others. I stand by what I said.

that's cool, you are allowed to have an opinion!

just try to understand why some people may have rules on servers they pay for and maintain. you can choose to play there, or not to. :)

I've finished playing the Homefront single player and it became a "chore". Some complained it was too short--I thought not short enough!! For me the controls and movements for the PC game were slow and clunky. It reminded me so much of the very early PC games where that was the best they could do. But I've gotten spoiled by the fluid movements of players in games like the recent COD, Battlefield,Cyris and more. It seemed old timey when I had to wait to climb a ladder or descend into a hole and push a special key to do either. My teamates had to go first and I had to wait etc. It all seemed awkward and slow compared to the other games I've been playing. But I know some like it, and that's great but I didn't care for it much.

But for sure!! the graphics were outstanding in the single player. Maybe the best I've ever seen on my machine. Really nice.

I played a little multi, but the few games I played were too sparcely populated for such large maps and all, maybe I'll keep trying and will be happier with multi. Who knows?

Back