• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Uninstall Windows 7 from a secondary hard drive

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rooster35236

Registered
My SSD gave up the ghost a little while ago, Newegg replaced it with no problems (Newegg RMA - 5 eggs :thup: .) So, in the meantime I reinstalled Windows on the RAID array now, I'm booting off of the new SSD again.
Now I need to remove the previous installation from the RAID array, standard delete doesn't work, I believe it's something tied into Java that's preventing me from deleteing.

Any help would be great

I don't see how Java has anything to do with not being able to remove data off a hard drive. That doesn't make sense.

If this is seen as another drive within Windows, you could simply format it using Disk Management.

There is still almost 300GB's of stuff on that drive that I want to keep.

edit: + most of my programs are running on the array

Last edited:
Here is what I would do if I didn't have an external drive, internal drive or network drive to move the data to.

1) Move the content you want to keep into a folder on the root of the drive.
2) Take ownership of the entire drive, including files/folders.
3) Delete everything I didn't care about.

There is no "uninstalling" you have to do. If you imaged the drive or reinstalled back onto the SSD, the two installs are not linked. In addition to that, since you are booting off the SSD, nothing is running off the RAID array, which means you can delete files freely.

More that likely the boot files are on the RAID set up so when you remove windows 7 from it it will fail to boot.

I'd advise
Set up a 300GB partition (we'll call this D) and move all files you want to it.
Delete C (the partiiton with the OS on it) and the system 100MB partition (otherwise you will see 2 Windows 7 installations)
Merge Free space to D
Clean install to the new SSD,this will give you the boot files etc.

Use the raid set up as data storage.

I didn't see his edit after I posted. Honestly, I'd suggest reinstalling all the programs to the new drive and starting over. You are getting into a tangled mess that may cause issues in the future. You need to make sure your SSD has the MBR on it. You can test this by unplugging the drives in the RAID array and boot the computer. If it loads Windows, this will be easier. If not, you should reinstall Windows with the RAID array off/removed so that it puts the MBR on the SSD.

Once that is done, clean up the RAID array so it just has the files you need. Delete everything else on the drive. Reinstall your programs to the new operating system.

EDIT: As a side note, if your MBR was on the wrong drive, you could unplug the RAID array, boot the Windows install disk and let it repair the MBR for you; no reinstall needed.

Back