• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best gfx card for £250/$400

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ric02k11

Got a Geforce 9800gt and its been doing fine till now. Saved some pennies up and im looking for what you guys think would be the best option. sorry for another thread on this but new gfx cards are released all the time and the amount to choose from hurts my brain. £250/$400 or less pref :D
Thanks

The rest of your system is very critical to your GPU choice.
If you're running a Q6600 you're not going to get the most out of a 400 GBP video card. You'd need like a 2500K (latest intel CPU series) or better.

What's your system?

system is
Intel Core 2 Quad q6600 2400
8 Gig DDR2
9800GT
Gigabyte ga p35 mobo
win 7 x64

any advice would be appreciated. Im looking at the 560's

Ya that's the highest I'd be looking. Overclock that CPU. A gigabyte P35 mobo, assuming it's a decent one (not familiar with yours) will get that CPU to at least 3.3Ghz. Just get a CPU cooler that's better than the stock one. What's available to you cooler wise?

I'd say at the highest go for the 560. Honestly I think your system will be bottlenecking that card quite significantly. I think you'd be better matched with a 460 or 6870 both of which can be found fairly cheap now. The 6870 is faster and more expensive. Don't know how much of the faster would really come through.

Do overclock your system because you could get as much as 30% more out of it easily and that's pretty good. If you don't know how to do it, read the 'overclocking your core 2 duo / core 2 quad' guide, which is on the front page of the website in the articles.

+1 to the 6950...

I bought two from scan.co.uk for £189 a piece... flashed them to 6970's and they are beastly!!

I Tried to OC to 3.2ghz by following verified tutorials and after about 3 mins of uptime my computer would just tyrn off? Is this a cooling issue? Also If i go for a 560 or 9750 will they be able to play the likes of crysis 2 with good settings?
Cheers again

I Tried to OC to 3.2ghz by following verified tutorials and after about 3 mins of uptime my computer would just tyrn off? Is this a cooling issue? Also If i go for a 560 or 9750 will they be able to play the likes of crysis 2 with good settings?
Cheers again

Only way to know if its a cooling issue is to monitor the temp. Run coretemp. It's free.

Go to the intel motherboard section if you need help overclocking.

Back