• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Got my Asus 6950 today

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shadowdr

UPS dropped my new card off today, I got this one based on the Newegg reviews. I am impessed with the quality that they have put into this card. It has an aluminum shroud that is just plain jane black with some red pinstriping. The shroud also had a clear plastic cover on it like a cell phone screen, easy enough to peel off though I would not have known had it not had a few wrinkles in it. I uninstalled the Nvidia drivers in the control panel, popped her in and it installed standard drivers right away, no issues at all changing cards from Nvidia to ATI. I then installed the 11.2 driver package and so far all looks OK.

Of coarse I had to reflash it with a modded bios to unlock the extra shaders and it worked easy enough, almost like I knew what I was doing. I also had Afterburner installed so I changed the cfg file to allow it to OC. I bumped the core up to 860 to give Futuremark 06 and 11 a go leaving AB on to monitor the temps. She never went over 57c the whole test and also running BF2BC, actually stayed right around 53 after I setup the fan graph and idles in the mid 40's. Asus also has a program called Smart Doctor that allows voltage increase even though I don't think that I will need it. It has manual OC sliders for memory and core as well.

I didn't really have any problem fitting it in my Antec 300 even though it does extend into the drive bay about a half inch, lucky that I still had one drive bay empty. I am very pleased with it so far and if you are considering a 6950 you might want to go with this one even thogh it's a few more bucks just for the cooling. I ran FM11 and got a score of 6185 but couldn't register it because it said unsupported driver. Oh well off to test her a little more.

You might try the Catalyst 11.4 beta, I got a 5 to 10% improvement in ALL games!!

My config is very similar to yours (cpu/gpu/MoBo chipset...) and they are very stable.

You might try the Catalyst 11.4 beta, I got a 5 to 10% improvement in ALL games!!

My config is very similar to yours (cpu/gpu/MoBo chipset...) and they are very stable.

I did try and get the new driver but it errors out and is only 28kb. Not sure why I can't get them.

Did you try getting the files from a non-official source (like guru3d, etc)?

Did you try getting the files from a non-official source (like guru3d, etc)?

Yea, same thing. It will download a file 124kb or 28kb but none will open. It might be because IE is using a download manager but I can get any other file and I don't know how to turn DL manager off.

Have you tried just doing right-click - save as instead of going with the DL manager?

This is the official page for 11.4...

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/Catalyst114earlypreview.aspx

I tried that and I am getting "Unauthorized Download" because it is a redirect I guess. Weird that I can get the other drivers and not these. Whenever I ckick to DL a page pops up for only a second and then dissapears. A few minutes later the IE box at the bottom ask me if I want to open or save but either one fails and retry pops up. A retry DL's a file but it is only 124kbs, and looks like a webpage with the big E in it. I guess I will have to wait for the release.

I'll see if I can find the file and find a place to upload it for you.

I tried that and I am getting "Unauthorized Download" because it is a redirect I guess. Weird that I can get the other drivers and not these. Whenever I ckick to DL a page pops up for only a second and then dissapears. A few minutes later the IE box at the bottom ask me if I want to open or save but either one fails and retry pops up. A retry DL's a file but it is only 124kbs, and looks like a webpage with the big E in it. I guess I will have to wait for the release.

Ok... I just checked and there are times when you get a leech.aspx file. But if you go to the link on my previous post and then click on the download link provided in there (official AMD page) it will save. I think the issue you're having is that IE is somehow trying to do somehting that prevents you from downloading the file. I never get those issues for the simple reason that I don't use IE for anything other than some intranet (work) related sites. Anything outside of the intranet gets browsed with chrome.

I have the 11.4 preview downloaded already. I'll be using them once my new 6870 gets to me. I hear good things about those drivers.

Good point, who still uses IE?!

Mine worked fine with Chrome

Installed Chrome last night and got the driver package, thanks for all the help. Going to run a few benches and see if they are better but so far no freezing during gameplay.

Back